Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do I know if I have a temperature?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today I've suddenly become really poorly. Well last night out of nowhere I started coughing, didn't think much of it and went to bed. In the night though I started feeling ill and by morning I felt terrible.
I've got a headache, I feel chilly, tired, really achy and my chest hurts. My arms hurt when I move them and my legs feel heavy.
I want to take my temperature but I don't have a thermometer (Excuse my spelling-I'm using my phone not laptop and can't be bothered to look it up). I asked my boyfriend if I had a temperature but he couldn't tell-bit dozy bless him. So what do I do?

Comments

• Options
    i don't have one either, i usually know because my head is uncomfortably warm or hot (so much so it feels like you could fry an egg on my forehead!) and sometimes comes with a headache.

you could ask your boyfriend to go to Boots and get a thermometer or equivalent.

sounds like you need paracetomol and effervescent vitamin C tablets, and plenty of rest. keep drinking water as well.
  • Options
    You can buy the head strips from kids to check your temperature, you can get them cheaply at Boots and supermarkets. It does sound like you could have a bit of a fever, just keep hydrated and phone your Dr's for advice, although with how things are at the moment you will just get through to the Swine Flu information line. Take paracetamol for the temperature :yes:
  • Options
    You'll know if you have temperature because you'll feel insanely hot in bed and feel like the North Pole outside of bed.
  • Options
    What difference does it make what your temperature is, you're clearly ill. Take some medicine and go back to bed.
  • Options
    It matters because you have to say that you have a temperature to get a diagnosis of swine flu, and therefore to get tamiflu.

This does sound like swine flu, have you been on here? https://www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk/
  • Options
    I agree with the swine flu thing, the most usual symptoms are sudden high temperature and sudden cough.
  • Options
    But then again it might not be swine flu. Yes a temp is one of the symptoms but it has a whole host of others. But to make it easier for GP's if you have three of the syptoms then you are diagnosed with having it, even if it is swine flue!

Try and keep hydrated, take regular paracetamol for the temp (if you can take paracetamol) and speak to you Dr :)