Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is male friend attracted to me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wondered if anyone has any advice on moving in with someone you are attracted to?

Me and this guy have been good friends for a few months now. We have grown really close and I really like him. Nothing physical has happened and there has been no conversation or anything regarding feelings. But we talk practically every day (usually him contacting me), see each other every few days, he wants to pay for me when we go out, and I just feel this connection between us. He wants to look out for me and it’s just the way we look at each other. We are both shy people so even if we both liked each other neither of us would make a move which is annoying! We are both 23 and single. We get on so well and have so much in common. I’m not confident enough to make a move on him or say anything. And he’s made it sound like he considers me good looking before. And he has positive body language towards me, we sit very close together and when the touch barrier is crossed we don’t react in a negative way.

Anyway, I wasn’t sure how to move things forward so they’re not really. But both of us are looking to move out of our current homes and are both looking to live in the same area. The other day he asked if I want to go flathunting with him. I’m pretty sure he means live with him as he’s now looking up renting two bedroom flats... but what does this mean? Would he ask me to move in with him if he fancied me? Or does this mean he doesn’t? Because personally I see it as a bit...risky... living with someone you are attracted to. It could go well and move things forward, but it could also be very difficult. I don’t know if this gesture suggests if he is more likely to fancy me or less likely? Would a guy ask to live with a girl he’s attracted to? He’s a smart logical guy so I don’t know.

If he does want to live together I’m not sure what to do either. We do get on so well as friends and I would love to live with him. But obviously if he doesn’t like me then I have the potential to get hurt. Does living with someone make it more or less likely a relationship can develop? Or perhaps it isn’t a smart thing to start something like that whilst living with someone!

I know I’ve waffled a bit. But any advice from anyone who has lived with someone they are attracted to, or anyone who has experienced any part of this would be most appreciated! I know the best advice is for me to talk to him about this, but I’m worried about screwing up the friendship. Plus I’m too shy! I don’t know how to find out if he likes me without risking the friendship. Thanks for reading all that!

Comments

• Options
    Clearly it seems that you both like each other and get on well.

However, that doesn't really mean that it would be a great idea to move in together.

As you say it it might go either way.

But then if you don't try then you don't get.

I think, though, to be honest, that I would try to find out which way he wants your relationship to go first. Maybe you should try kissing him and see what the reaction is.
  • Options
    he obviously likes you. but moving in together can be tricky, but he seems like he wants to move in with you and if you do too, then i wouldn't see the harm in it. you want him to make the first move and kiss you, just make sure you let him know you wanna kiss him with your body language. when it happens it'll feel right. :)

goodluck! xx
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Maybe you should try kissing him and see what the reaction is.

Heehee :) the way you said that made me giggle.

Best of luck OP, I would be unsure about whether to move in together but by now if I was you I think I'd have made a move :p.
  • Options
    I would be tempted to let him know how you feel before you move in. I've been in a similar situation a couple of times. The first time things went well and turned into a serious relationship, we knew there was something there before living in a shared house together, with 2 other mutual friends. At the moment the situation is a bit more confusing, I didn't know the guy before moving in, but we have lots in common and there was an awkward moment a few weeks back when his mate was staying with us and they were asking lots of questions to suss out whether I'm interested. He ended up following me into my room and we're both fairly shy, so he had to think up a lame excuse why he'd done that. It's pretty frustrating, I would have definitely made a move by now if we didn't live together as I've known him quite a while now and am really interested. I also feel pretty cold for basically not letting on that I really like him...like yourself, the logical part of me knows things could go either way. :nervous:
  • Options
    I would be tempted to let him know how you feel before you move in.

:yes: