Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can anyone speak Swiss?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would someone to translate this as accurate as possible please.

"Mentale Erkrankungen zur Zeit keine Hilfe möglich"

Comments

• Options
    It's German:

At the moment no help is possible for mental illnesses

What's the context?
  • Options
    Yeah, it's German. Can't read it though. :p
    In Switzerland, either German, French or Italian is spoken, depending on the region. Although they obviously have their own dialects.
    There is a Swiss tongue, called Romanic or something but I don't think it's very widely spoken.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wow. I did know that, but I can't imagine being a native in the same country as someone else but speaking different languages...
  • Options
    It's quite common in Europe, because of the borders. In Italy there's a significant minority of people who speak German, in Belgium they speak French and Flemish (a dialect of Dutch), and so on...
  • Options
    Wow. I did know that, but I can't imagine being a native in the same country as someone else but speaking different languages...

In Mexico it happens too. You can learn spanish in school and not understand a thing if you travel there! I was told the spanish you learn is only usefull in spain :p I was just learning in school how hard it can be to find a spanish interpreter (spanish is probably the second language in my area) unless you know the students/parents specific dialect.
  • Options
    In Mexico it happens too. You can learn spanish in school and not understand a thing if you travel there! I was told the spanish you learn is only usefull in spain :p I was just learning in school how hard it can be to find a spanish interpreter (spanish is probably the second language in my area) unless you know the students/parents specific dialect.

Not exactly.

There are no dialects as such in the Spanish speaking world. Therefore a Mexican, a Spaniard, a Honduran, an Ecuadorian etc. etc. in a room would all understand each other no problem. There's different slang of course and a few select words can mean different things in different countries, but everyone who has Spanish as a first language, regardless of where in the world they come from, would understand each other.

One example of national differences is thus:

In Spain, if you want to take the bus, you say "Quisiera coger el bus" (I would like to take the bus). However, in Mexico, this translates as "I would like to fuck the bus" as coger = to fuck in Mexico, whereas in Spain, it means to take. Better off using the verb 'tomar'.

Swiss German on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. 'High' German (as spoken in Germany and Austria) is understood in the western parts of Switzerland (Zurich and thereabouts). However, were a Swiss German to speak Swiss German to a native German, they would not be understood.

Such was the case when I went to Switzerland. I speak bad German but could make myself understood. However, when they spoke to me, I didn't have a clue, whereas in Berlin / Munich / Vienna, I understood what they were on about fairly well.

[/language lesson]
  • Options
    Not exactly.

There are no dialects as such in the Spanish speaking world. Therefore a Mexican, a Spaniard, a Honduran, an Ecuadorian etc. etc. in a room would all understand each other no problem. There's different slang of course and a few select words can mean different things in different countries, but everyone who has Spanish as a first language, regardless of where in the world they come from, would understand each other.

One example of national differences is thus:

In Spain, if you want to take the bus, you say "Quisiera coger el bus" (I would like to take the bus). However, in Mexico, this translates as "I would like to fuck the bus" as coger = to fuck in Mexico, whereas in Spain, it means to take. Better off using the verb 'tomar'.

Swiss German on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. 'High' German (as spoken in Germany and Austria) is understood in the western parts of Switzerland (Zurich and thereabouts). However, were a Swiss German to speak Swiss German to a native German, they would not be understood.

Such was the case when I went to Switzerland. I speak bad German but could make myself understood. However, when they spoke to me, I didn't have a clue, whereas in Berlin / Munich / Vienna, I understood what they were on about fairly well.

[/language lesson]

I guess all the people who lived in Mexico and other Central American nations as well as Cuba have lied to me then, huh. Growing up in a largly hispanic town and seeing people who cannot communicate with eachother, currently working in a place that is a majority hispanic seeing the same thing... and living in towns now with a large hispanic community... watching and having conversations regarding the fact that they try to attempt to communicate in english because they cannot understand eachothers dialict...well they are all faking it?
  • Options
    I guess all the people who lived in Mexico and other Central American nations as well as Cuba have lied to me then, huh.

I'm sure they'd like to think that they retain some individuality and profess that 'their' Spanish is wildly different to those as spoken elsewhere.

I've never had a single problem understanding all the Spanish-speaking folk I've met. Even Argentineans, whose Spanish is the most different from everywhere else.
  • Options
    All hail you then!
  • Options
    All hail you then!

Don't get sarcy. I'm just telling it like it is from experience rather than hearsay.
  • Options
    Guess my 24 years of expierence means nothing then. Not "sarcy" if my life has been a lie, then all to you.
  • Options
    Guess my 24 years of expierence means nothing then. Not "sarcy" if my life has been a lie, then all to you.

Seriously, grow up. I was trying to offer insight and if you're not prepared to accept that I might know more about this than you, then that's your problem.
  • Options
    Seriously, grow up. I was trying to offer insight and if you're not prepared to accept that I might know more about this than you, then that's your problem.

Just as I said, if 24 years in various highly populated hispanic areas is all a lie, joke and farce, then the more to you. Pardon me while I have a birthday... or not cuz I'm a jackass? Would you be happy with that answer? But it is not my problem... it is the problem of the many spanish speaking people that I have grown up with, worked with and befriended if they feel the need to lie to everybody then it is their problem.
  • Options
    Just as I said, if 24 years in various highly populated hispanic areas is all a lie, joke and farce, then the more to you. Pardon me while I have a birthday... or not cuz I'm a jackass? Would you be happy with that answer? But it is not my problem... it is the problem of the many spanish speaking people that I have grown up with, worked with and befriended if they feel the need to lie to everybody then it is their problem.

Now you're just getting defensive. Reverend Spooner would have called you a shining wit.

So every single hispanic person you've ever met hasn't been able to understand those from peninsular Spain? Funny, because that's not what I found when I worked in Ecuador, where I saw first-hand Ecuadorians and Spaniards conversing quite happily in the hotel where I worked. Weird, that.
  • Options
    Never met someone from Spain... never said that... never asked them if they could communicate with those from Spain... just various areas of Mexico, Cuba, and other Central American countries. What bitches those parents of the Cuban parents must have been when the school brought in the woman from Guadalajara to interpret, cuz they really knew what she was talking about. Guess it is weird, isn't it.

And thanks for the personal attacks!
  • Options
    You do realise you're both saying pretty much the same thing, don't you?

Spanish does not have different dialects, in that the grammar and structure of Spanish is pretty much the same wherever you go. They conjugate the verbs in the same way, the sentence structure is the same, etc etc.

Where the different Spanish speakers differ is in terms of vocabulary, they use different words in different parts of the world. Thunderstruck explained this with the to take/to fuck difference.

My Spanish teacher at school was Venezuelan and all that differed was that her vocabulary was more based on South American Spanish rather than Spanish Spanish.