Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Deleting backup partition?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a 120GB HDD and half is taken up with the backup partition, I have made the backup DVD's, if I format the backup partition can I just restore my system with the DVD's or does it also need that partition to work? I can also make a full back up which is 50GB so I thought about making that back up and sticking on my external drive and I guessed if my system buggered up I can use either the DVDs for a factory restore or I can restore the image, which I guess is a snapshot of the disk at the moment.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5735Z

Comments

• Options
    what program created the back up partition?

I'm guessing this is some home made back up system you design yourself cos no new laptop comes with 50% of it's single hard drive devoted to a back up os.
  • Options
    I'm using the Acer eRecovery Management tool.

Acer (C:) - 12.0 GB free of 69.6 GB
    DATA (D:) - 0GB free of 69.6 GB

Odd isn't it? It was like it when I brought it.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    I'm using the Acer eRecovery Management tool.

Acer (C:) - 12.0 GB free of 69.6 GB
    DATA (D:) - 0GB free of 69.6 GB

Odd isn't it? It was like it when I brought it.

i think you'd probably have to do something like this in DOS, either that or purchase a partition programme that can do the necessary for you.
  • Options
    Chances are, if you use the backup and wipe the disk clean it will be fine. It wont remake the partition tables. But you should be able to do them locally.

Use Disk Manager to delete the partition.

To go to Disk Management in XP:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management (local) > Find the partition listed, delete it.

In Vista:

Start > Control Panel > System Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management, do the same. Find it, delete it.

If they work create a logical drive out of them. If they don't work or you want your whole drive to be C: and not C: & D:, just format the disk and reinstall through the disks as you were going to do.