Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When do you know when to end a relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. He's my bestfriend and he's my entire life. However, I wonder whether he's the one I should be with for the rest of our lives. I have cheated on him with 2 different men in the first 2 years of our relationship, I know it's bad and unacceptable and I'm not happy having done this. But now I've met another guy at work several months ago and I have a crush on him. I will not let myself betray my boyfriend again. The problem is, why do I keep finding myself attracted to other men? I know that when I get over this crush, somewhere down the line, I'm gonna come across someone else I'm attracted to again. What the hell is wrong with me? I don't know what to do

Comments

• Options
    I'm of little use, as I've never really been in your situation. Though when I lived with a girl, towards the end of the relationship I was starting to wonder about other people. I guess having a crush and/or being interested in one or more people is an indication that however much you care for the person you are currently with, you feel there is more happiness to be found if you ventured out to see what was about?
  • Options
    Does your boyfriend know about the affairs? You have a lot to lose with your current boyfriend, so it sounds, and it's questionable if you find another one like him again, the friendship is probably gone too then, but I think it's not meant to last. Bit shit situation.
  • Options
    I think you just know, I woke up one day and just said i dont want this anymore after 4 years, you might need to work more on it though as u seem to just be looking else where because u may be bored? x
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Does your boyfriend know about the affairs? You have a lot to lose with your current boyfriend, so it sounds, and it's questionable if you find another one like him again, the friendship is probably gone too then, but I think it's not meant to last. Bit shit situation.

Thanks for the response. Yes my boyfriend does know about the affairs.
    I just worry that if i do break up with him, it'll be a mistake.
  • Options
    Well done on being honest with him. Most people aren't able to offer such decency to other people. :)

If you've managed to discuss such things in the past, maybe it would be a good idea to talk with him how you are feeling now?
  • Options
    Do you know what? I never even thought of doing that, but I think that actually sounds like a very good idea. Thank you
  • Options
    46550eq9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Yes my boyfriend does know about the affairs.
    I just worry that if i do break up with him, it'll be a mistake.

it might be a mistake in the sense of losing a very good friend and objectively seen swell relationship, but if it doesn't satisfy you subjectively, then this relationship serves no purpose. I would advice to break up with him on very friendly terms. There is no use if you are constantly attracted to different people.

On the other hand, it seems you are always attracted to new and different guys, so maybe the new relationships won't satisfy you either.