Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

self harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i self harm alot any tips on how to stop:crying:

Comments

• Options
    Hi, I think you can't stop until you are really ready and are prepared for it to be tough, I tried to stop at the beginning of this year and lasted a few weeks but then started again , I tended to be more angry when I was not doing it and more stressed. Sorry I did't mean for that to sound negative.
    If you really want to stop then do you have some support, a counsellor, family member or friend who can help.

I really admire you for wanting to stop. some distracting tips, try writing stuff down, maybe art or listening to music, watching stuff reading, or you can try things like holding an ice cube, pinging an elestic band on your wrist, these are some things which could help.
    If you want to talk then feel free to send me a message.
    Take care and good luck with it, its a really amazing thing you are trying to do. :)
  • Options
    Katianne, I know it's tough but really the only way to stop is good old-fashioned willpower. Some of the distraction techniques above might work for you, but some (such as snapping an elastic band) which are designed to replicate the sensation of self-harm can make some people more inclined to go back to it because it's not giving quite the right kick.

There is a dedicated section of the Site dealing with self-harm at www.thesite.org/selfharm so there is more support there.

Good luck.
  • Options
    as a self harmer trying to stop myself.
    anyone can get help whenever they want, but the help will only be effective if you are actualy willing to work with them and go throu the tough times it bring so make things better.
    youve just got to want to change, and belive you can no matter how hard its going to be. no one ever said life was going to be easy, but you can change things around.
    feel free to message me whenever you want, as im going throu exactly what your talking about at the moment.
    good luck though, just remeber its not imposible.
  • Options
    From experience do it for yourself, no one else. Be prepared to find it tough and keep in mind that IF you go back to it, it's not your fault. And you can stop again, take one day at a time. :)

As for destraction tips write, draw, run, walk, cry, scream!, watch tv, listen to music, dance, call up a friend for a gossip. Theres so much that can take your mind off of it, you just need to find what best works for you.
  • Options
    re

Hi Katianne76,:)

Thanks for coming to the site and sharing whats goining on with you at the moment. Just to reiterate what others have said, there are many avenues of help and support in helping to stop self harm so please feel free to look around at articles of interest to you, how you want to give up and whats makes you self harm will be individual to you. We hope that you can find the support and strength you need from the site to get through the toughtimes and explore how it is for you.

kee posting and let us know how you are doing:wave: