Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Insurance - was it a claim or not a claim

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, this is a rare one I keep getting different answers from different insurance companies and as I renew mine it is coming up more often

I have a years no claim which I have proof for, however a year before this I had a moped, insured and was in an accident (someone reversed into it while it was parked) I went through my insurance company but the third parties insurance paid out, is this classed as a claim or not? as the money was never paid out on my own policy. its just my new insurers say it IS NOT however my old ones on my proof of no claims have it down.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think ...

If it was claimed on your insurance then it was a claim.

If it was claimed on somebody else's insurance then it is not a claim.

Does it make a huge difference in price, though?
  • Options
    I think ...

If it was claimed on your insurance then it was a claim.

If it was claimed on somebody else's insurance then it is not a claim.

Does it make a huge difference in price, though?

not the price, as my new insurance broker (Crowthorne) didn't give me a price with it, they said it wasn't important and i bought a policy via them with groupama, now i have the forms and the proof of not claims to send to them but on the proof of no claims it says "claims - 2008 JAN (this was before this policy started) Accident - not at fault however I never CLAIMED on my insurance, I might give my old insurers a call "Kwik fit" however they've been a pain in the blooming ass.

Ok, re-reading that it looks completed so i'll break it down

June 07- June 08 - Motorbike insured by Ebike.com - Bike parked, crashed into and I called my insurance who put me through to a legal team (via my legal protection) who claimed ALL my costs back from third party who crashed into me
    17June08 - 17June 09 - First car insured by Kwik fit who actually put my bike accident down as a claim I had made (even though I never claimed off my insurance)
    17june 09 - 17june 10 I bought my policy via Crowthorne (with Groupama) for my new car and paid, sending forms in, they quoted me a price of £499 but that was without my accident logged on the policy as they do not see it as a "claim" as my insurance policy back with Ebike.com never had to pay out (they won all costs from thirdparty)

now the proof of no claims says I have this claim, however my policy form which I am about to sign says I do not have a claim, this is worrying as I do not want the new insurers to have an excuse to "void/cancel my policy"
  • Options
    Though not an expert i think Missy is right. I'd of thought the whole point of a no-claims bonus is that YOU don't claim on YOUR policy = you're a good driver therefore less likely to have an accident therfore cheaper inssurance.

That being said, inssurance companies, as a whole, are the biggest bunch of fucking wankers going and will seek out any means by which to screw you over.

A friend of a friend was told by their inssurance company that they were partly to blame for the build up of water in their kitchen from a burst water tank in the room above because they KEPT THE BACK DOOR LOCKED WHEN THEY WENT OUT :eek:
  • Options
    well yes, which is fine I have the no claims bonus, but as you see above I don't know if I need to declare my accident in JAN08 as a Claim or not, I think I will call kwik fit (my old insurers) and Crowthorne (my brokers) tomorrow to get this sorted, basicly I do not want to give Groupama an excuse to void my insurance by saying I did not declare everything and me losing out.
  • Options
    you won't need to declare it as a claim hasn't been made on your policy. HOWEVER, you will need to declare it if that makes any sense. just make sure it goes down as a non-fault claim.

at the insurance firm i work for, we want to know about any accidents, claims or losses within the past 3 years. it doesn't matter whether the claim was made on your policy or not.
  • Options
    you won't need to declare it as a claim hasn't been made on your policy. HOWEVER, you will need to declare it if that makes any sense. just make sure it goes down as a non-fault claim.

at the insurance firm i work for, we want to know about any accidents, claims or losses within the past 3 years. it doesn't matter whether the claim was made on your policy or not.

FRICK just what I thought, means they might make my premium go up as it isn't on the policy i have to sign for £499 :( I hope it doesn't affect it :(
  • Options
    AFAIK you detail accidents, claims or losses. You give information regarding whether the costs were recovered and whether it was you or the other party at fault.

A claim is a claim AFAIK.

Some insurers will use it to load your policy, and some won't. Eitehr way, you need to declare it if it is within the period of time they are asking about. A lady drove into my motorcycle, had her licence revoked, was prosecuted for it, and all the costs were recovered. 100% not my fault. Yet Elephant still wanted to load my policy when I was looking to insure a car...
  • Options
    AFAIK you detail accidents, claims or losses. You give information regarding whether the costs were recovered and whether it was you or the other party at fault.

A claim is a claim AFAIK.

Some insurers will use it to load your policy, and some won't. Eitehr way, you need to declare it if it is within the period of time they are asking about. A lady drove into my motorcycle, had her licence revoked, was prosecuted for it, and all the costs were recovered. 100% not my fault. Yet Elephant still wanted to load my policy when I was looking to insure a car...

Hey CTSM - slightly off topic - I have 2 years NCD + a bit, can I transfer this to a car insurance policy? My bike provider was eBike insurance.
  • Options
    I last worked in car insurance four years ago, so my memory is a little hazy.

If you have an accident and it was the other drivers fault (and hence their insurance company pay) then its not a claim. But you will have to advise them of your accident in another section of the application form/ phone call.

If the accident was your fault and your insurance company pay- then it is a claim.

The third way is if both insurance companys agree to go 50-50 on the costs. This then goes down as a claim for both drivers.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Well it wasnt a claim but an "accident not at fault" down on my new policy but as it is a not a fault my premium will not rise, whoopee,

Shyboy, when I tried to transfer my 1year ncb from ebike to car i got told by most that they do not accept it, and the rest it made no difference.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hey CTSM - slightly off topic - I have 2 years NCD + a bit, can I transfer this to a car insurance policy? My bike provider was eBike insurance.

No, not with most insurers. I've heard rumours that the Co-op may do it, but don't quote me.

I was bummed when insuring the car. I had 4/5 years car NCB, but it lapsed during the 3 years I was on the bike daily. So I'm now back to 0NCB, paying £440 to insure a Mondeo. :(
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Well it wasnt a claim but an "accident not at fault" down on my new policy but as it is a not a fault my premium will not rise, whoopee,

Shyboy, when I tried to transfer my 1year ncb from ebike to car i got told by most that they do not accept it, and the rest it made no difference.

Get quotes from several insurers with the accident, then remove it. Plenty of them will load your policy despite not being at fault...