Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

random pain in my chest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dont know what the hell it is but it happened really randomly last night:
just went to the cinema and after watching the film, the right side of my chest started killing everytime i took a breath in. it feels like im trying to catch my breath because when i try and take a big breath its so painful so i cant finish it. i thought it'd have gone by this morning but its still there and just as painful. any ideas?
ta

Comments

• Options
    I'd say you could have pulled a muscle, or injured the cartilage around the ribs (I get that from time to time, after a car accident years ago inflamed the cartilage) but from the cinema ... :confused:
    If it keeps up, go see a doctor would be my advice.
  • Options
    yeah exactly, i dont know how by sitting watching a film at the cinema its randomly happened. but i was thinking i'd pulled a muscle or something to be honest - i have been weight training but last did it on friday.
  • Options
    Maybe you pulled something with the weights but it wasn't till you got into a air conditioned cinema (I assume it was air conditoned) it affected it.
    I've had muscular pains in my chest a few times over the past few years and it tends to hurt now when I'm in an air conditioned room.
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hi,

Muscular pain wouldn't be quite so sharp and sudden, I'd have thought...I wonder if it could be a harmless syndrome called PCS that often appears in young adults randomly for a few seconds at a time when they're sitting or slouching - read this factsheet if you like and see if your symptoms fit.

If it happens again, just try to inhale very slowly to your full lung capacity, and it should disappear in a few seconds. Of course, if it happens many more times a trip to the doctor might be in order.

Doesn't sound like anything to worry too much about, anyway...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've been getting what the factsheet describes once a while over the years. It sounds like what the original poster described too. In truth, now that I'm (sadly) over 20 I've noticed it happens very, very rarely.
  • Options
    I've been getting what the factsheet describes once a while over the years. It sounds like what the original poster described too. In truth, now that I'm (sadly) over 20 I've noticed it happens very, very rarely.

Me too, feels like being stabbed in the heart, but only for a few seconds - bloody hurts though!

I'm 23 so hopefully it will go away as I get older
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I got it just the other day, but before that it must have been almost a year.
    I've never been stabbed in the heart though so I don't know what it would feel like. Not that I'm complaining...
  • Options
    Oh i've had that on occasion as well - feels like a weird stabbing chest pain but goes away randomly.

However i also get weird back rib pains if i sit next to a really fat person on the train in the morning so that i'm not sitting in the middle of the seat but more to one side - i'm only on the train for 12 mins so you wouldn't have thought it would have made that much difference but sometimes it hurts the whole day - so you might have just been in a weird position whilst watching the film....
  • Options
    Soph001 wrote: »
    Muscular pain wouldn't be quite so sharp and sudden, I'd have thought...I wonder if it could be a harmless syndrome called PCS that often appears in young adults randomly for a few seconds at a time when they're sitting or slouching - read this factsheet if you like and see if your symptoms fit.

Ha - I get this all the time (always thought it was some kind of cramp), and have been trying to describe it to people for ages, especially that you can breathe past it, and then it goes straight away. Anyway, they just all thought I was either imagining it, or insane, so it's nice to know it's a real thing.

P.S. Does this mean I'm still a young adult, cause I still get it! :p
  • Options
    I get it too.