Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Choices - more study ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I graduated in 2007 with BA Hons in Management and Sport (this included work experience) - however, I have been unable to get a job in anything mildly related since then.

I have been floating around doing odd jobs - but I really want to start my career!!

I'm thinking of going back to study a skill - technical theatre - but that means I will be studying til i'm about 26 and so will have to start my career then, but at least it'll be a career and not a job.

I know the situation with jobs is unreal at the moment. I applied for an admin job and so did 138 other people!!!!!! I cant even get a basic job so i've decided a skill is the way forward...

Anyone got any words of wisdom...

I'm really just worried about starting my career so late, and the risk i'll be taking financially as I will have to get a loan (or my parents will) to fund my 2nd degree (or perhaps foundation degree depending on what I decide)...

I'm just a bit stuck... I am so sick of not having a job though, my brain is turning to mush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:no:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    26 isn't that old to start a career, so don't worry too much about that :)

The main thing I think that you need to work out is *what* you want to do, rather than just picking a random skill that you will go to uni and study for 3 years. How do you know that, when you finish a second degree, you won't be back where you started?

If you can do it financially, I would volunteer in a couple of sectors that you are interested in, then see if you *are* interested in them. Get yourself into a theatre to see if that's what you really want to do. If so, then there are ways and means to go about getting the skills without going back to uni. Have a think about apprenticeships. They are not always welding, plumbing etc.

If there is no other way round it, then think about going back to uni.

The current climate sucks, though, I agree :(
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do technical theatre as part of a few voluntary groups, and have looked at jobs in this area before but they always want a piece of paper saying you can do it. I have tried to get some work at local theatres for free but no one wants me :( lol

I was sort of thinking, I'm meant to have my life all sorted by 30 and I won't even be settled in a career...

Thanks for the advice though. Def appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    penguin85 wrote: »
    I do technical theatre as part of a few voluntary groups, and have looked at jobs in this area before but they always want a piece of paper saying you can do it. I have tried to get some work at local theatres for free but no one wants me :( lol

I was sort of thinking, I'm meant to have my life all sorted by 30 and I won't even be settled in a career...

Thanks for the advice though. Def appreciate it. :)

30 is still young to be all settled, don't worry about that bit :)

I am a teacher and when I was doing my teacher training, there were people who were in their 40s (and older!) starting their career for the first time. You are not in an unusual position. Lots of people I know finish university and either cannot find a job in their field, are sick to death of what they studied so want to try something different or studied something that has no job prospects (like philosophy!)

If this is definitely an area you are interested in, have researched and think that in 4 years time you will want to work in this industry, then go back to uni. There is absolutely no harm in that at all.

Try not to panic. Very few life plans happen. My life certainly isn't following what I thought my 'big plan' was :)