Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CBT again...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im anxiety depressive and Ive had a lot of shit happening recently. I wont go into it now cuz I'll have to do it soon anyway but recently had to drop out of uni and moved back home. The doc referred me to someone whos going to find me a therapist - they never got back to me.
Mum made me a private appt which starts in an hour and a half. I'm nervous. I've got used to bottling it up and I would have to spend most of the hour just running down the basics of what has happened to me to make me leave. I've had a year of CBT(cognative behavioural therapy) before but for the first time I'm genuinely worried that if I tell the truth they'll think I'm a danger to myself. I have had some very very dark moments recently and have spent far too long considering suicide (not planning, you dont need to tell me to come down from the ledge :P). I tried to tell the GP how low ive been but she doesnt seem to take it seriously. support please?

Comments

• Options
    hey
    sorry to hear you are feeling bad, but its good that you are getting help.
    i know what its like with seeing counsellors and not wanting to tell them everything, i am being put on a waiting list for counselling, but have been persuaded to see the uni counsellor, but am really worried that if i tell him how bad i am then he will tell uni. but i suppose its better if i tell the truth, then i can get the right help and the support from uni, but i am still terrified, i am the sort of person who hates talking about my problems,so i bottle it up.

just tell them as much as you feel comfortable with, you can always tell them the next time.

hope the appointment goes well, let us know how you get on.:)
  • Options
    Im sure you will be ok. just take your time and try not to worry to much... good luck
  • Options
    Hi there evenstar

I'm guessing by now you've had that session with the counsellor? Just wondering how it went and if you're okay?
    If you worry about what the counsellor might tell people, it could help to ask them. They'll be working confidentially so won't be gossiping about you and I'm sure they'll be happy to explain their policy to you to help you decide what you feel safe saying.

Good luck with it and take care :)
  • Options
    ive done the cbt thing before, i just think im worse tis tme. the 'have you had suicidal thoughts' question seems to be non-standard now which is good. it was ok. but i dunno i developed a really good relationship with my last therapist and i dont know how long i'll have this one if the nhs come though. so im reserved. im not feeling very proactive about this as my mum organised it all. i really dont want to get in touch with m feelings again, its so draining.
  • Options
    i know what you mean with it being draining, i have had couselling in the past and it can be very hard. i was made to go to counselling a few years ago and i hated it and really didnt want to be there, but this time its my decision to go, so hopefully it will be ok if i get on with the person. i think its important that you want to do it yourself.

you dont have to tell them everything straight off, just say what you want to, you can always tell them next time, just say what you feel comfortable with.

hope you keep going with it and it goes ok, let us know how you get on.:)