Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

polymorphic light eruption (PMLE)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone have this? if so do you know of anything that helps with the skin,

We've just found out Theo has this and his entire body is covered in the "hive" like bumps which are very very itchy, we have cammonile but wondered if anyone knew of anything else that helps, obviously he cannot go out in the sun without being covered up but some help tp releave the symptoms would be brilliant,

I'll post some photos in a lil while.

Comments

• Options
    I've got no idea what it is, so do think before trying this, but when I get reactions to things and get hive like bumps on my skin then I find cool baths/showers, or cold flannels bring temporary relief.
  • Options
    One of my friends has it and uses a steroid cream along the lines of hc45. Not sure if Theo's too young for it, but it's only over the counter stuff, so you could ask the pharmacist?

She was also advised to go out with her skin uncovered in the spring, while the rays are weak, so she can build up resistance. Not much help now, but for next year :)
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    One of my friends has it and uses a steroid cream along the lines of hc45. Not sure if Theo's too young for it, but it's only over the counter stuff, so you could ask the pharmacist?

She was also advised to go out with her skin uncovered in the spring, while the rays are weak, so she can build up resistance. Not much help now, but for next year :)

Thanks, the docs and apparently most of the medical profession do not know much about it but believe it is an alergic reaction/protein reaction or something like that to UVA/UVB rays,

Docs have given him a 1% Hydrocortozone HC (sp) and we have a not fragrenced total sun block by E45, hoping that will help,

thanks for the advice about going out in spring, we'll try that, i've been monitoring UV levals for the area
  • Options
    Poor Theo. Is it longterm?
  • Options
    I found this http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/lighteruption.htm
    It says
    Can it go away of its own accord?

Yes, many patients find that the complaint clears up spontaneously.
  • Options
    yeah we read the one on netdoctor, but as it also says not much is known about it,

the doctor is hoping the summer will me miserable and horrible, I believe we're the only people looking for a wet summer lmao, he is hoping Theo's immune system will sort itself out and not happen next year.

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00217.jpg
  • Options
    I can't imagine getting them often. I've had them once and that was enough. I do hope it sorts itself out.
  • Options
    Porridge. Well not quite, but oats. Tie some porrdige oats up in some muslin/linen and let it dangle over the taps so the water runs through it when filling/getting water for his bath.
  • Options
    Having a look round found this -

Oat and Honey Milk Bath

½ cup rolled oats
    ¼ cup powdered milk
    2 Tbsp. honey

Place all ingredients in a small, natural fabric bag (muslin and cheesecloth are great choices). Hang the bag under the faucet as you fill the tub, so running water disperses the goodness throughout your bath.

from here http://www.pioneerthinking.com/oatmealbeauty.html
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Porridge. Well not quite, but oats. Tie some porrdige oats up in some muslin/linen and let it dangle over the taps so the water runs through it when filling/getting water for his bath.

That is supposed to work wonders with chickenpox and might help with this as well. Lots and lots of cammonmile and if you have any try and get Theo to wear cotton gloves at night so he doesnt scratch his skin in his sleep.

It does sound like your GP is being helpful as well.
  • Options
    Would calamine lotion help?
  • Options
    i did say calamine lotion, its just i am an idiot and cannae spell :)

He seems to be getting better slowly. I do not see him building up a total immunity towards it but hopefully as it was the first time this was the most severe.