Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hayfever :(

has anyone else's kicked in yet?

i woke up with my eyelashes stuck together this morning.

my eyes are itchy, i can't stop sneezing and my nose is runny. feel as though ive got a really heavy head and itchy throat.

i fucking hate it!

it TOTALLY ruins my summer.

grrrr.

/rant over
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know what you mean, mines started aswell, get really itchy face and eyes makes my asthma even worse and keep sneezing, i hate it too.
  • Options
    I was just gonna post about this! since saturday, when the weather has been really nice, my tablets have not been enough :/
    I start taking them in about march/april time (just in case) and it's been fine till this weekend! I have to say, it's not as bad as previous years (yet) i've had it since i was ickle, and sometimes i get bad asthma (due to pollen) and have had to goto a&e.

I hate it cuz it only gets bad when the weather is at it's best! I find my worst time is late evening when i get congested, eyes itchy, streaming tears, damn itchy nose/throat...arrrrg!!
  • Options
    Mine has flared up nicely over the last week or so as well. I find timing my tablets so I take them a couple of hours before the worst bit helps, that and lots of showers, washing clothes more than usual and wearing sun glasses. The last lot all help to keep the quantities of pollen on me down.
  • Options
    A little. I've been sneezing a lot and my eyes feel constantly tired. I never get it really bad unless I'm right in the countryside though.
  • Options
    Mine kicked in today, quite majorly. It's been lingering mildly for the last month or so. I've been taking a one a day anti-H, and have this morning reinforced that with a Beconase nasal spray. Still sneezing a fair bit today...
  • Options
    Yup I will have to get me a nasal spray again, the thing with the tablet is, i take it in the morning, when it first gets bad... but then there is another episode of pollen release at sunset :(

I have found washing my face during the day helps... but i still have to take the dog for a walk, and i live in the countryside which doesn't help!
  • Options
    Yeah mine kicked in a few days ago too. I thought it had started much earlier, but it turns out that was just asthma, probably caused by the pollution in London (never had it before). Now it's DEFINITELY hayfever! Grrr.
  • Options
    My dad's has kicked in REALLY badly over the weekend.
    I've been OK so far - dry eyes today, but right now I don't know if that's the surgery or the pollen ... or both! :p
  • Options
    Must... stop... scratching eyes... :D
  • Options
    I feel so shite, having to sit inside when it's nice and sunny outside, but in my bedroom with the windows shut...the pollen cannot attack! muhahahha....
  • Options
    Mine got really bad when the nice weather came at the weekend too :( I know what you mean about it ruining your summer, my eyes look like ive been crying for days and my throat gets so itchy it's terrible! Not to mention the fact that i have to carry tissues around like i have a permanent cold.

Not fun! :mad:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    g_angel wrote: »
    Mine kicked in today, quite majorly. It's been lingering mildly for the last month or so. I've been taking a one a day anti-H, and have this morning reinforced that with a Beconase nasal spray. Still sneezing a fair bit today...

Pretty much the same for me. Kicked it really bad today whislt I was on difficult breakdown job. Stress makes it ten times worse and I was snotting all over the place in front of a rather attractive customer. I fucking hate this time of year.

I'm only bothered by certain tree pollens which thankfully means it's generally gone by August.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The only pills that truely worked for me were Triludan and they fucking removed it. Can't even get it on prescription.

I use something call Nasaleze now, which is somewhat effective and certainly better than those horrible chemical snorts which leak out your nose for an hour afterwards.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think i've tried every hayfever med under the sun! I used to be on Telfast 120, but since i've got older ( and the summers have got crappier) just the standard supermarket own brand is ok (unless it gets really bad :s)
  • Options
    Try a neti pot for your schnoze! I don't get much allergies so I've only used it for bad sinuses but it works great and I've heard rave reviews for it helping with nasal allergies as well.
  • Options
    I thought i'd dodged it doing nightshifts but no. It's made my nose really itchy this year and I have a scab at the bottom of each nostril where I've been rubbing my nose. It hurts like fuck everytime I make a facial expression.

I find most pills next to useless and the nose squirting things really effective. They make my chest hurt though so I dont take them.
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I think i've tried every hayfever med under the sun! I used to be on Telfast 120, but since i've got older ( and the summers have got crappier) just the standard supermarket own brand is ok (unless it gets really bad :s)

What are you on now?
    Have you tried Clarityn (Loratadine)?

I've used that almost exclusively since I was a kid and it's great - no sideeffects and works every time :)
    You can get it over the counter (Clarityn brand) or via prescription. I do that 'cause it's free (GO WALES!!)
  • Options
    see above... supermarket own brand is fine (cetirizine dihydrochloride) They contain exactly the same active ingredients as the branded type and are much cheaper! :D (but i might get a prescription at the moment cuz i'm on job seekers, making the most of my taxes!)

The only thing is.. i do tend to build up a resistance to them, and have to circulate every year to a different active ingredient, oh wells!
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    minimi38 wrote: »
    I thought i'd dodged it doing nightshifts but no. It's made my nose really itchy this year and I have a scab at the bottom of each nostril where I've been rubbing my nose. It hurts like fuck everytime I make a facial expression.

At this time of year I go through buckets of moisturiser around my nose. Does the trick.

Olly
  • Options
    I use some random stuff from the chemist. Works fine for me. Take your pills at night before you go to bed. Sometimes helps. Oteher then that you're just gonna have to MAN up :p
  • Options
    I keep sneezing really loudly and scaring other members of the public as it makes them jump! At least it means I'm guaranteed a seat on the Tube though :yeees: One tip that's helped me a bit is to rub Vaseline jelly inside the rims of your nostrils to catch some of the pollen before it goes up your nose completely :yes: .
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    see above... supermarket own brand is fine (cetirizine dihydrochloride) They contain exactly the same active ingredients as the branded type and are much cheaper! :D (but i might get a prescription at the moment cuz i'm on job seekers, making the most of my taxes!)

The only thing is.. i do tend to build up a resistance to them, and have to circulate every year to a different active ingredient, oh wells!

Yeah my reading comprehension sucks. Don't judge me, my eyes sucked too when I wrote that.

I got Ant to buy Clarityn today 'cause he was suffering. I only ever tried one other brand. It said "May cause side effects such as ..."

And I got them all. Would've been better off sticking with the fucking hayfever ¬_¬
  • Options
    ugh mine was horrible today, and i took all the precautions listed in the above posts! managed to make a nurse appt to have an 'asthma review' so that's all good... but i wish the pollen would fuck off right now :( (sitting in hot bedroom with windows shut)
  • Options
    I used to have it very badly when I was younger as it used to affect my asthma. This year I've had it for aboutthe last 6-8 weeks with a couple fo really bad weeks when the rapeseed oil was in full bloom. No antihistamines though, they always make me really drowsy.
  • Options
    I did have it badly. but my asthma has improved somewhat as i've got older, I have just realised, it must be the antihistmines, in the evening i feel like ive got a head cold..like majorly achey/tired, must be them damn drugs.
  • Options
    Aww :(
    You must be glad the pressure has dropped and it's raining then ATM :)
  • Options
    Not too bad so far, think I've had 1 sneeze and i get it really bad usually.

I also have to swap tablets every year, as I build up a resistance to them, although I have found the different Boots own brand ones work well and unlike Clarityn, you don't have to take a loan out to buy them for the summer.

Do you all have Ionisers?

I have 2 - a plug in one and one built into a fan - they work wonders to keep your room pollen and alergy free :cool:
  • Options
    Ooooh I haven't thought of that! will look into investing :D
    yeh, i want on of them 'stick up ya nose' things... must try and find that chemist...