Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ways of drying hair out.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I needz them.

I am growing dreads. The au natural way (and before anybody says EW like my sister did, not washing your hair will not make hair dread properly because it makes it too oily so YES I am washing my hair, I'm just not conditioning or brushing). Except I dyed it purple the other day and now the bits that weren't already dread-y are all soft and shit again and are refusing to even get a little bit knotty. This is frustrating.

So I need ways to make my hair dry out a bit or damage it which don't involve a) bleach or b) moniez. ETA: or c) backcombing. Backcombing defeats the point of the whole au natural way, and would also involve me buying a comb.

Thanking.

Comments

• Options
    erm, ive never tried this but im sure wasing your hair with salt would dry it out
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    erm, ive never tried this but im sure wasing your hair with salt would dry it out

I thought this too. Would blow drying it a lot help? Also sit out in the sun (when/if it returns) for ageeeeeeees :)
  • Options
    the sun will make your head sweaty and greasy wont it?
  • Options
    Yes :(.

I did think about pouring lemon juice over it and sitting outside but I don't like bugs :p.

I'll try the salt thing. Will involve me sitting with my head upside down for a bit but hell.
  • Options
    nooo lemon juice lightens your hair doesnt it?

and i was thinking more like letting salt water dry on your hair
  • Options
    Yeah, I would give salt water a go, or you could try straightening it loads with straighteners until it frys.
  • Options
    1andonly wrote: »
    Yeah, I would give salt water a go, or you could try straightening it loads with straighteners until it frys.
    I was thinking about that, then I realised how silly it would look to have perfectly straight hair and then five random dreads at the top ;o.
  • Options
    blow dry it for a very long time
  • Options
    I had this sea salt scrub from Lush that left my hair feeling dry...after a few uses and without conditioning it would really dry your hair out!
  • Options
    take a look at 'knottyboy' http://www.knottyboy.com/ there is some quite good info there, and also there is a section on my other fav forum:
    http://www.hairextensionsforum.com/ (Theres a lot about fake dreads, but there is a natural section... and georgous pics!)