Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

severe back pain...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've had really bad back pain for three afternoons in a row, and i've talked to a pharmacist and he's told me with my medication and the fact i'm allergic to half a dozen painkillers, i can only take paracetmol. By pain is now so bad i'm feeling sick, i've got a heat pack on it, but otherwise it seems like theres fuck all i can do about it. I have a feeling this is psychosymatic, and thus theres little point in going to see the dr.

any ideas as to what else i could do to try and get rid of the pain? i'm gonna have a bath at a friend's house later, but other than that i have no ideas :(

Comments

• Options
    How bizarre, I've also had debilitating back pain since Tuesday. I have found what has helped mine is a cushion behind my back and sitting down when the pain gets too much. Shower's and such haven't really helped.

Are there any positions sitting or lying in makes it more comfortable? If it is really painful you should go to the doctor anyway, I went to but then didn't because I don't like doctors lol.
  • Options
    well, it being a friday theres no chance of seeing a dr till monday, and the walk in centre will be packed...

if it gets worse i'll go to the walk in centre...

argh :crying:
  • Options
    What type of chair(s) are you sitting on?
  • Options
    a chair with an ergonomic back...

it feels like the bottom of my back is mega-ly compressed
  • Options
    Mine's killing me at the minute, I even feel slightly nauseated. I think it's because despite sitting on a comfy chair I'm having to lean forward to write out my revision. If you find a solution, let me know.
  • Options
    i think a bath is the solution, but i don't have one...
  • Options
    Hmm, Sounds quite serious, I don't know what to suggest apart from a doctor, however if it is seriously bad all they will do is refer you to a physiotherapist (sp) now, I am not sure about down there but up here you can self-refer yourself to the physiotherapist, it is actually quicker to and you can usally get an appointment in a couple of weeks, I know that doesn't help for the present, but getting an appt later on may help in discovering any underlying issues. the back and spine is a very sensative area so even if it goes away I'd still suggest seeing a physio.
  • Options
    i've done something really silly - the paracetamol that i've taken has caffine mixed in, and thus i'm feeling really shakey and jittery....grrrrr
  • Options
    Not good, try to calm down and relax, it'll wear off soon and get normal strengh 500mg paracetomol only tabs, no caffine crap, you need to rest and relax, Caffine will just get you worked up.
  • Options
    i'm now feeling very sick and seriously shakey...

worth calling NHS direct again??
  • Options
    Deffinately, and they'll probably (if im honest) say go to hospital which I would possibly suggest,

I'd rather you went to hosp for something mundane than leave it and it's worse than you thought.
  • Options
    the out of hours GP is calling me now, i think i'm starting to feel really delierious, keep retching...

don't want to go to hospital i'll be waiting for hours and hours
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    for risk of sounding like a bitch, I do not understand why you are on here, when you know full well you should be going to the hospital.

If it is as painful as you say then you know you wont get through the night without some form of medical intervention.

An out of hours GP will probably say the same due to the severity.

Having suffered with back pain myself for the passed 9 years, I cannot conceive why you would have suffered for 3 days. Yeah so they may be a queue at A&E but the longer you sit at home complaining is precious time you could have spent queuing at the hospital where people can actually help.
  • Options
    i have a bit of a fear of hospitals and i don't want to waste peoples time.

but its all sorted now, i called NHS direct again, they called the out of hours service, nipped over to the hospital and saw a dr. i have a urinary tract infection, which is pretty bad, and i have anti nausea and anti biotics to take now...i'm meant to be going to a party tomorrow...booo

but at least i know whats wrong and i can get better!
  • Options
    i have a bit of a fear of hospitals and i don't want to waste peoples time.

but its all sorted now, i called NHS direct again, they called the out of hours service, nipped over to the hospital and saw a dr. i have a urinary tract infection, which is pretty bad, and i have anti nausea and anti biotics to take now...i'm meant to be going to a party tomorrow...booo

but at least i know whats wrong and i can get better!

well it sounds like A&E were nice and quiet. At least you know that is a possibility if you ever need to go again.

Why would you think you were wasting people's time? It is their job?! If you are sick, they are there to make you better.

I dont think the party should be high on your list of priorities right now...
  • Options
    no it was the out of hours service, 6 hour wait in A&E!

I've been told i'm a bit of a hypercondriact, and thus i think i'm making it up half the time and i should just sit it out and stop being a whimp.

no the party isn't really a priority, and i haven't got him a present yet so its kinda a blessing in disguise
  • Options
    Still, 6 hour wait in A&E with a book/magazine or two, vs 3 days of the pain you say you've had. I know which one I'd chose.
  • Options
    Main thing is you'll be ok *hugs* glad its sorted hun
  • Options
    turns out mine is likely due to stress. was advised to take ibuprofen and it should go away by itself after my exams are finished.

makes sense i suppose!
  • Options
    put a cushion behind you when your sitting, it might help a little...
  • Options
    ok, so the pain has come back today, and i have brownish urine...

i'm getting worried....
  • Options
    ok, so the pain has come back today, and i have brownish urine...

i'm getting worried....

and have you sought professional medical advice?
  • Options
    not this evening, i was thinking about seeing how it went and going to the drs on monday. i have been taking antibiotics all week for it...
  • Options
    not this evening, i was thinking about seeing how it went and going to the drs on monday. i have been taking antibiotics all week for it...

call NHS direct. If you are in pain again, and it is a problem with your urine it could be something to with your kidneys

If it was me I wouldnt be chancing it...
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    call NHS direct. If you are in pain again, and it is a problem with your urine it could be something to with your kidneys

If it was me I wouldnt be chancing it...

:yes:

If your urine is brown and you are suffering pain - we would suggest you seek medical advice. NHS Direct number is - 0845 46 47 if you need it. :)
  • Options
    i've called them but i've got a 4 hour wait for a call back

:(
  • Options
    4 hours is a long time to wait if you are in a lot of pain. Your other options are to call your emergency GP or go to A&E?

If you want to wait for the call back in the meantime you could try sitting in a hot bath, that may bring you some temporary relief?
    :)
  • Options
    well the nurse did call back and said its most likely dehydration and that its likely that the antibiotics aren't getting it so she said i could try and give the out of hours dr a go, or just drink more and see how it goes until monday...

i think i'll leave it till monday and see how it goes...
  • Options
    You need to visit your doctor to see what is causing the pain and get an ex-ray done to ensure that every thing is fine as it can be arthritis or a chronic pain. If it is chronic pain try energy therapy.