Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Confused.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

just wandering if having an urge to carve symbols and words into ur flesh is classed as self harm???

Some work collegues seen some of what I call art, and they seem to think its self harming, yeah I had some issues but dont know if thats the underlining element.:confused:

I have been told by some ppz to go seek helpfrom a shrink (:banghead: ).... Anyone else out there who have similar urges, is that the general concenses with family and friends etc ????????

*QUOD ME NUTRIT ME DESTRUIT*

Comments

• Options
    Hey K-Dwagg,

This is your first post on The Site's boards - so welcome! The discussion community here is a safe place to get some advice, support and hear others experiences. We do hope that you get what you are looking for from here.

One of the other of The Site's functions is that we have a whole load of information pages that have been put together by professionals to give you the most up-to-date and relevant advice as possible. We have a a section on self-harm, which may be a place for you to start? If you scroll down you will see that there are many pages to look at which may be of interest to you?

Are you aware of how you are feeling or what you are thinking about at the time when you have these urges and carve into your arm? It is always possible that this is a way to cope with the issues you spoke about, particularly if you feel that you haven't dealt with these issues fully. But, it is very difficult to say.

How would it feel to go and see your Doctor about it? Your Doctor will hopefully be able to assess if you need some additional support. You mentioned a 'shrink'. How would you feel about seeing a mental health professional or a counsellor?

It sound's like you are very open with people about the carving, as you have shown your colleagues. How did the way they react affect you? As it seems like they were shocked and suggested you seek some support. Do you have any other friends or family that you can talk to about this?

We hope that some of this helps, please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Take care - :):)
  • Options
    It does sound like it could be a more subconcious form of self-harm.

However, I'd like to add that I've often had a weird tendency to doodle on myself, although this is usually with pen, not cutting myself. I don't really do it so often these days, but it always seemed that I did it more when I was feeling low or stressed out.
  • Options
    Thnx Harry23,

I wont say I am open about it, I try to hide it, but it just so happened that on of me collegues caught a glimsp, and then procedding to shout it out to the whole room. and that made me feel rather uncomfortable, so i just carried on like i didn care and just shrugged it off with a few jokes.

I thought about seeing a doc, but I have moved into a new area for my work and the only docter i'm with is a couple hundred miles away, and i dont want to register with a new doc cause i not sure what their views would be, or if i could trust them.
  • Options
    dont mind me i'm for having a ramble.............

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK GRRRR I'M SOO FUCKING STUPIDDDDD :banghead:

Lost an important file that i needed at work, rant rant rant :mad:

so fucking skitsy, put it down to multitask and end up walking off without it, how fucking stupid can you get?!?!?!?!?!

only good thing is that it was lost at work may be the security will find it tonight................

GRRRRRR not good.:grump:

i best go before i spill my drink on my laptop out of my fucking stupidity:banghead:
  • Options
    re

Hey K-Dwagg,:)

I see your concerns over having a new GP and telling them what youve told us about your self harm and how you feel about it all. It must be difficult to have to build up that trust all over again with a new doctor.

If you do reconsider going maybe think about what you want to say and get across to the doctor before you see them or write it down, this may help you feel more confident about what your needs and getting it across.

hope this helps:wave:
    let us know how your getting on.
  • Options
    I might register with a new GP. I hardly ever went to my former GP thinks it was once in the past few years, if i wanted anything i got my mum to get it and that was only a couple of times.

Dislike goin to docs, apart from when i got valuim from her, and that was for exams and driving test, could do with them again tho :yeees:

Think i am coming round again, havent reached for the knife, or got excessive with the drink tonight :yippe:

i thinks i am letting go of the past (havent told anyone indepth or even 1/2 the shit tho) i dont think it was traumatic, just a lot of lil annoying things and minor issues all at once.:crazyeyes

thanks for the advice ppz, it helping me :thumb: :heart:
  • Options
    It depends on why you're doing it, really. Certainly in the body modification community some people like scarification- decorating the body with scar tissue as opposed to piercings or tattoos. It's not always a sign of inner torment, but it does sound like you're having a rough time of it at the minute.

If you're worried about it it's probably best to go and talk to a GP about it.
  • Options
    I've done it again............this time i traced my veins in my arm

It felt really good, but i might have took it too far. At one point the knofe went too deep, it was a mess, and now i'm quite ashamed with my arm riddled in the scabs and a crepe i put on rather haphazradly......
  • Options
    Hi K-Dwagg,

like Kermit said it's not unheard of in the body art communities etc. but I do have some concerns that there is a deeper underlying issue. I think seeing a GP even if just to get the all clear would be the best bet.

Take care,

Rich