Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trusted Brands of Nail Polish

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, when it comes to makeup I'm not usually one for brand buying. If I see a colour I like, then I buy it. If it's nice, then I know to go back to them for more.

But. I'm not having much luck with nail polish :( I have two Max-Factor colours but they flake the day I put it on. I have a Beaujois du Paris one too but it's really naff. Takes forever and ever to dry and it chips quite easily too.

The only one I have that is any good is a Ruby and Millie nail polish.

Should I stick with them, even though it's a wee bit expensive?
Or do you have a trusted brand of nail polish that works for you and isn't too expensive for me to try out?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    I use Barry M and I find them pretty good and not expensive
  • Options
    OPI and China Glaze. Not sure where you can buy them in the UK but there's an online store for OPI here.
  • Options
    at the moment i've been using rimmel lycra pro professional finish. it has a maxi brush and is sooo much easier to apply and the application does actually look professional. which is strange because i'm a clumsy git :)
  • Options
    at the moment i've been using rimmel lycra pro professional finish. it has a maxi brush and is sooo much easier to apply and the application does actually look professional. which is strange because i'm a clumsy git :)

Ooh! I'm super clumsy too so that could be worth investing in!

As for OPI...I've looked at it before. But isn't it quite expensive? Also, can it be removed with normal nail varnish remover or do I need to buy special stuff?
  • Options
    I think No.7 nail polish is the best. The brush is just the right size and the paint stays on really well :)
  • Options
    i like No.7 too, i think the brush is great and it comes in some fab colours.

if you fancy an investment buy, Chanel Chanel Chanel. It goes on like a dream, stays on like a dream, looks like a dream....
  • Options
    Ooh! I'm super clumsy too so that could be worth investing in!

As for OPI...I've looked at it before. But isn't it quite expensive? Also, can it be removed with normal nail varnish remover or do I need to buy special stuff?
    According to that site it's £9.95 per bottle, which I guess is quite pricey but I'm told it's very good. They also do 'deals' if you buy 3, 6 and 9 bottles. And afaik you can take it off with just normal nail polish.

I'm totally in love with the nail polish I'm wearing just now, which is MAC's 'Seasonal Peach'. It's LE but still available right now and I love itttttttt. Apparently MAC polish in general is fairly rubbish but I love this one, and I have another one coming with the boy tomorrow :).
  • Options

Just wanted to add another vote for this, I bought it in a dark red shade and have been wearing it on my toenails for almost a week and it's not chipped at all. Considering I've gone for several walks and a run/jog in that time I think that's pretty good going...it's a lovely colour too and quite cheap.
  • Options
    Hmm...maybe I'll have to try lots of different kinds! :)
  • Options
    Have to say I'm another fan of Rimmel, and I'm an engineering student so mine doesn't exactly get a light treatment.

That and No. 7 which is a little more pricey, but if you ever get one of the £5 off No. 7 vouchers that Boots seem to hand out to all and sundry who spend any money there then it's just over £1.
  • Options
    I'm all for Collection 2000 hot looks range, £1.50 a pop, 2 coats of it and then a sally hansen topcoat, it can last me a week.
  • Options
    I find a good basecoat is all you need and you can go cheap all the way ;) Plus it keeps the color from staining your nails if you wear it a lot. I like sally hansens hydrating base coat. And also a fan of the double life base and top.

http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=41
    http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=258
  • Options
    Just to add to this thread again....

Today I bought OPI base coat, top coat and a bright pink polish and I have to say, it's excellent quality. The base coat dries almost instantly, the polish has been on my nails for about thirty seconds and it's almost completely dry, which to me is amazing. I'll let you know about chipping etc but so far I'm very impressed.
  • Options
    if you fancy an investment buy, Chanel Chanel Chanel. It goes on like a dream, stays on like a dream, looks like a dream....

Always fancied trying some Chanel!
  • Options
    BARRY M - easily the best
  • Options
    I really like Chanel nail polishes when I have the extra money for them...
    but the more expensive Sally Hansen bottles from Walmart or something are pretty comparable.
  • Options
    FYI... 99% of people on this board are from the UK, and only a few from the US so luckily they will not have a walmart to shop at.

But I totally dig Sally Hansen, oh I'd jump her bones for her amazing products :p... but most importantly, not bought at walmart :p
  • Options
    Do you not like walmart because of the ethics of it's business practices?

And thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize.
    Let's all pretend I just said drugstore instead ;)
  • Options
    You betcha bum ;)
    The unfortunate thing, really is that Walmart takes the brunt of it all when so many retail employers do exactly the same. Lived several years off those jobs. Luckily there are a few that don't... though few and far between.

I just also hate them because everybody is so absoutly fucking rude, including the customers and even entring the parking lot is enough to give me an aneurysm, but I've had a smidgeon to drink tonight and have recently become such a lush so I'll shut up now :p

Anywho... I never saw the word walmart and only saw the reccomendation of a drugstore purchase ;)
  • Options
    Anywho... I never saw the word walmart and only saw the reccomendation of a drugstore purchase ;)

Why thank you for that ;)

I know what you mean. I used to live in a really crowded city (Houston, texas... if you know anything about that area) and Walmart = hell.
    The people, the parking... oh, everything!
    Now that I live in a MUCH smaller town, composed of only college kids attending the school here (that would be ME) or elderly people in nursing homes, the entire Walmart experience is way different.

But still, I getcha.
  • Options
    I used to get my nails done professionally however I've been really put off them recently as A) it really fucks up my nails and B) it looks a bit tacky. So I figured I would invest in good nail polish instead .. Enter O.P.I. .. the price is quite expensive but it's definately better than the cheap nasty ones.

I'd suggest putting a nail protector varnish on first, then a layer or two or the colour and then a layer of clear.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I use Barry M and I find them pretty good and not expensive

Barry M have got gorgeous colours.....but they chip like a bastard for me. But i agree with most people on here, Sally Hansen are pretty cool :heart: .
  • Options
    I've just fallen in love with the Sally Hansen diamond nail strengthener. Oh my are my nails looking lovely now :heart: (except the one I hacked a huge chunk out of with my razor the other day :grump: ).
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I've just fallen in love with the Sally Hansen diamond nail strengthener. Oh my are my nails looking lovely now :heart: (except the one I hacked a huge chunk out of with my razor the other day :grump: ).

ouch :eek:!
    how did you do that? I still bet it all looks lovely, even with the 'sore thumb' (like what i did here ;):p)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    (except the one I hacked a huge chunk out of with my razor the other day :grump: ).
    I've done that before.
  • Options
    ouch :eek:!
    how did you do that? I still bet it all looks lovely, even with the 'sore thumb' (like what i did here ;):p)
    I can't really remember, I actually do it quite a lot but only right on the tip of my nail. This time it was right in the middle and it was a massive chunk, almost down to the skin so it actually feels really strange to scratch anything with that nail.