Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Followed on from thread on love... how long was it before you moved in together?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As above. So basically, we knew we were going to go our separate ways at the end of the summer - she is 26 and would like to start a career, I am 20 and have to finish my degree - but now it has come to the point where we cant bear to separate for even a day, and so have realised that it is simply not going to happen.

My girlfriend, lets call her frenchie, was in a very tempestuous long term, mostly long distance relationship for 3 years, and does not wish to repeat it, and as i also have treaded that path, me neither. So our other option is that she comes to edinburgh. Which it now seems she is going to do. We will have been together only six months when she arrives, but we are trying to see it from the point of view, that she is there to learn english, not only to be with me.

The other thing is that after much thought and discussion, we have decided to live together. It will be far cheaper, she will have support and someone to help her with the language, a ready made group of friends and a person with her who will always understand her. Like i said in the other thread, we have only spent one night apart in the last two months, but there has never been any friction, we have always talked over any problems or ill feelings rather than let them escalate. But ofcourse living together after 6months only will be stressful for her, we might feel suffocated, she will be in an alien country, culture and language and I will be trying to live my old life, but differently.

0f course we have discussed the consequences of what might go wrong, but have come to the conclusion that we love eachother enough for it to be worth the risk - it would be better to separate after two months of living together, than to hang on for another two years of long distance. She wont lose anything but time - she has no other commitments in her life at the moment, and will have perfected her english.

So i just want to have other peoples opinions, experiences, so we can be better prepared for what might happen.

Comments

• Options
    We got together aug 2000 i moved in end nov 2000 at his dad house got our mortgage aug 02 +still here
    9 years in august together and that living together is 8years + 9months! And 2 gorg daughters who are 7years and 3 years in august also.
    Our lucky month i reck
  • Options
    I moved in with my boyfriend after about 5 - 6 months of being together. I wasn't having much fun living with my former flatmates and it got to the stage where we spent so much time together that it made sense for us to live together, and I dunno, it just felt right.

You guys seemed to have discussed it a lot and thought about the consequences etc. My boyfriend drives me crazy with some of his habits and vice versa, but after 3 years I still look forward to hearing his key turn in the door.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I still look forward to hearing his key turn in the door.

That is adooooorable!
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    That is adooooorable!

I think I've romantised it too much :D

You mentioned something about having a ready made group of friends - are these your friends? I think if I was starting out in a new place where my partner was in familiar territory, I think I'd like some time to get to know new people I could call my 'own' which may make me spend a little less time than usual with my partner. That's the only think I could think of, off the top of my head.
  • Options
    We ended up living together after about 12 months, basically she couldn't stand her flatmates at university and gradually spent more and more time at my place. In the end she just moved in permanently, seven years on we've got the whole mortgage/cats thing going on.

It sounds like you've weighed up the pros and cons of it and that's all you can do really. If it feels right you'll be in a much better place for it to work. I'd just echo was go_away said about giving her time to make her own friends.
  • Options
    Point taken. She is awesome at meeting people, so i dont think that's really a problem. i just remember how hard it is when you have no point of contact, and it would have been really nice to have someone to introduce me to people, to take me to parties etc. etc.
  • Options
    Met in Jan 02 and he moved to bristol april 02. We are still together 7 years on with 2 beautiful kids :D.
  • Options
    I've only been with my fella a couple of months but he spends 3 nights a week here and the rest at his mums (cos he cannot afford to move out yet). I have the whole house to myself in July and he now can drive so he'll spend most of the time here (he won't have a key though) and will see how we get on being together full time eh? :D
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    but after 3 years I still look forward to hearing his key turn in the door.

Thats a lovely line!
  • Options
    Well, we travelled together for 2 months. Then we stayed in contact (email, text messages and phone calls) for about a month and a half, then I visited her in Australia for 2 and a half weeks.
    We then decided to make it official, I returned to England for 3 months and then I came back over to Australia where we lived together from the start.
    Even though we had known eachother for quite a long time, we didn't know eachother in person that well. It was probably a bit too soon to move in together, but we didn't have much of a choice under the circumstances. It's been very difficult and troubled at times, but we pulled through all the bullshit and now we're very happy and still very much in love.
  • Options
    I think i'm probably the same kinda boat as pill'ed. We got together beginning of june, spent 3 weeks basically living together, i moved back to my hometown after uni graduation and of june, moved back to live with him for august/sep, travelled a bit, went back to live with him dec-feb, and now he's here in china living with me.

It probably was a little soon to move in together, but we've gone through all the stress. We've had to do it again in china as he can't speak the language so he's been depending on me, so having gone through it twice, it's possible to get through.
  • Options
    i moved in with my boyfriend about a month ago and we've been together almost a year :) nothing is different really as i spent most of my time here anyway, lol. things have actually been AMAZING between us though since i moved in. we had the same worries as you did too. worried it was too soon, that we wouldn't get enough space, etc...but everything is great :D
  • Options
    18 months. We lasted 6 after that.
  • Options
    I took a huge gamble with my girl.

We'd been dating around 3-4 months, and I had moved into a 1 bed place. Due to clashing working hours, and living opposite ends of London, we barely saw each other, and she ended up leaving stuff at my place for when she did stay. In the end, I just asked her if she wanted to try it on a short term basis, so she could leave easily if it didn't work out... Well, one year on, and we've just moved into a brand new penthouse together.

You have to take some risks in life. Not all will pay off, but thankfully this one did :)
  • Options
    there wasn't really any official moving in til december and we got together end of June. We had simply not had a night apart from the end of july onwards so it made sense and felt right.
  • Options
    I started spending almost all my time at the bloke's place after about two months. I however had to leave every other weekend when his daughter came for a visit which caused some friction as he was always telling me he wanted me to move in. Now that's sorted four months on and so I don't need to leave anymore. I feel so much more mellow now. :)

We have had very conflicting schedules so far though, I work shifts and he has had work and uni and of course the daughter occasionally. I think it's helped in the sense that it keeps the time together precious. It's not been many days where we have had entire afternoons or weekends together.
  • Options
    slowly edging my way in, i left a cardie there the other day..

just kidding
  • Options
    slowly edging my way in, i left a cardie there the other day..

just kidding
    Haha!
  • Options
    8 months, officially. 3 months unofficially ;)
  • Options
    My boyfriend stays over at mine on a friday and i stay over at his on a saturday and when we are old enough (ie. when we hve left school and are over 16) we hope to get our own place together. I might just kill him though because he talks and kicks in his sleep and i push him out of the bed!:)