Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Working abroad?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey all

I only moved to Portsmouth three weeks ago but am thinking of moving on again already :rolleyes:

A girl at work is going to Tenerife to work for the summer, she showed me this website www.playawaytenerife.com and i must admit, it looks pretty good! She is going at the end of May until the end of June but I can't go until early July, she is going with a few of her mates but if i went it would just be me on my own :nervous:

Have you ever worked abroad for the summer? what was it like? any advice to offer? thanks x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you're going to do it i'd probably pick somewhere a bit livelier than tenerife. Went to malia last year for a holiday and there were that many bars/promo staff that i think you'd have no problem getting another job if you were to get fired. Also, my friend worked in magaluf last summer and said as much about there as well.
  • Options
    If i had my choice i would work in Magaluf but this company only deals with Tenerife and Costa Del Sol. I'm going to say fuck it and book this weekend....
  • Options
    I've just had a look at that website...seriously, don't bother. They're just ripping people off and to be honest it looks a bit dodgy as the site is pretty badly made.

There's plenty of accomodation for workers in all the big resorts (magaluf/malia/kos/kavos/aiya napa etc) and that'll set you back about 300-400 euro per month, you dont need a rep to tell you where to go, all these places are big tourist traps so its not hard to figure out the hot spots.

Your best bet is to book a holiday for a week or two, check the place out on the first night, figure out how it all works then the 2nd night talk to some of the other workers, find out where is good to work for and ask around for any jobs. Chances are you'll find work easy enough and a lot of places can either offer you or help you find workers accomodation too.

From what friends have told me you'll want roughly:
    Flight there (costs dependant on the time of year/destination)
    Hotel for about a week/2 if you want a bit of a holiday before you start working
    Enough money for a couple weeks worth of food
    400 euros for a months workers accom
    Enough put aside for a fight home (roughly 150 in case of expensive flights).

Dont worry about the price of drinks as generally workers drink for free in the bar they work, and as they makes friends with other workers pretty quick its not too difficult to get free drinks from other bars.

That site really does look a rip off though! 500 quid without any flights, plus loads of 'deposits' that they'll probably try to scam off you at the end of it.

ETA: You'll also want travel insurance..should only cost about 20 quid but definately worth getting!
  • Options
    Thanks 4 your reply...

I know the site is legit as a couple of girls from my work are all fully booked and are going next month, also a girl at work but in a diffrent department used them last summer so i don't its not a con...

i was thinking of doing it on my own, go 4 a holiday and have a look round etc but i'm not very good at organising things, espically in a scary forgian country, at least with this website i know they sort out everything so i don't have to bother. Will cost me £550 in total at the most, a 2 week holiday would cost more than that and im covered for a whole month plus have reps on hand 24/7 for that price, which would make me feel a hell of a lot better. The website also finds me a job and somehwere to stay, i could do it on my own but don't think i could handle the stress! :no:

I have emailed them my phone number and they are giving me a call 2moro to discuss things further. Any paticular questions you think i should ask? thanks x
  • Options
    Yes..ask them if you get to choose what sort of job you do. It mentions all sorts of jobs on the site but doesnt say you'll actually get a choice.
    You should also bare in mind that the £550 looks as though it is without flights, making the actual cost closer to £750, which is probably about the same as (if not more than) it would cost for other destinations, the difference being that doing it yourself you'd only spend the required amount as opposed to a load of madeup charges.
    But like you say, it makes it easier for you when its all organised i suppose. Just consider that a lot of the workers do go out to destinations on their own and manage to find work/a place to stay just fine without paying loads of deposits for this and admin fees for that.
    I also wouldnt beleive all the 'reps are here for you 24/7' stuff, they say the same with most tour operators too and 9/10 times they're not.

Sorry, I am being pretty negative here, just not a fan a companies that exploit as much money as they can from vunerable people. (or rather in your case, people in a vunerable situation).