Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ringworm treatment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i have was looks like a type of excema/ringworm patch on my arm. My mums a nurse and she reckons this is what it is. Its dry in round patches on the top of my arm and itches usually at night and in the evenings.

Now i cant go to the doctors for it cos i transferred to the uni doctors in cambridge and now i'm home for easter, i cant go back to my old doctor and im not going all the way to cambridge for one.

Does anyone know of any good treatments/creams or anything i can use? Tbh the only concern its causing me is the itching and the fact it looks horrible. Any sugestions?

Comments

• Options
    I thinkchtere was a keyword in what you have said.. "THINKS"

Therefore you could be after treatment for the wrong ailment. ;)
  • Options
    Erm... I'm pretty sure you can still go to the local doctor... You just have to go as a like guest patient type thing... Not sure what it's called.

Ring up a local surgery and ask if you can be seen.

My sister did it when she was back and forth from uni.
  • Options
    yeah when i used to be at home from uni in the hols i went to my local doctor even though i wasnt registered with them anymore. went as a temporary patient or something and they were fine with it.

if you can't, then go to a chemist, they might have suggestions.
  • Options
    I'm registered with both my uni doctor and my local doctor. Is your uni surgery a public one or a university one? If it's a uni one (like mine) I don't think they would de-register you from your local.
  • Options
    Give your chemist a go first, if it is ringworm, they can recommend an anti-fungal and give you information on how to apply it and how long for.

It's also important not to share towels with anyone.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of just popping into the walk in centre or the chemist/Boots. I rang up the doctors today and i'm no longer registered with them.

Dont know where i couldve got it from, i live at uni but obviously dont share towels or anything with other people. i imagine though that the uni halls are full of all kinds of gross infections :yuck:
  • Options
    I had it once, never knew where it came from, I think it's one of those things that can just happen. I mentioned the towels thing as you said you were home for Easter - my mum had it a couple of years after me, quite badly too, but none of us caught it from one another. Things ending in -zole tend to be anti-fungal. I think I used clotrimazole.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Give your chemist a go first, if it is ringworm, they can recommend an anti-fungal and give you information on how to apply it and how long for.

It's also important not to share towels with anyone.

yep, go and see a pharmacist/chemist. they are usually very helpful :)
  • Options
    Cool beans, I'll do that. Thanks everyone
  • Options
    Long ago people used iodine around the area, apparently the worm can't travel outside the iodine & dies, sorry it sounds gross but I know someone that used it a few years ago & it worked. Some people say that there is no worm but the older generation say there was & iodine always worked!
  • Options
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    Long ago people used iodine around the area, apparently the worm can't travel outside the iodine & dies, sorry it sounds gross but I know someone that used it a few years ago & it worked. Some people say that there is no worm but the older generation say there was & iodine always worked!

Ringworm isn't a parasite, it's a fungus
  • Options
    Is no worm - fact. Scientific fact infact.
  • Options
    I went to Boots and got Lamisil AT gel, been using it for about 5 days and its not clearing up very much at all.

When i go back to uni in a couple of weeks i'll go see the doctor and hopefully he'll prescribe me summat stronger.
  • Options
    Yea looks good, i think i will try it.

This Lamisil stuff doesnt seem that strong. It clears up a bit shortly after i put some on but will quickly go back to being red and scabby again so i'm putting on more than is recommended i.e. once in the morning and once at night.

Cheers for your help saz xx
  • Options
    i think the important thing is to do it for the reccommended period - eveb if the rash goes keep using the lamisil (or other treatment) as fungal infections can take a long long time to fully clear. I'm talking weeks rather than days :)
  • Options
    K i went to the walk in centre today and got told to buy Canesten HC cream which i have done.

I was told to only put in on a little bit at a time and twice daily but as youve said you use it quite often when you remember to... would you recommend using it more than twice a day?

I dont wanna have to go to the doctors in 10 days time and tell em i need something else