Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Seeing a GP about depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey folks,

I know I'm depressed. I know it's not just a bad spell, but something worse. Despite being convinced of this, I'm worried my GP won't take me seriously. I'm a bit embarrassed that it's came to this, to be frank, and I'm dreading coming across as a right moaner and being taken seriously.

Those of you who have been to their GP, what did you say? What response did you get? And what diagnosis and treatment were you given?

I just feel say "I feel sad" to my doctor is going to come across as daft and I keep putting off going.

Any experiences to share would be a great help.

Comments

• Options
    I've been to the docs twice about depression. The first time I was 18 and he put it down to teen angst and gave me some herbal antidepressents which did nothing. The second time was a couple of years ago, this time the doctor was much more understanding and put me on meds and sorted out someone for me to talk to. I think sometimes, because doctors regard depression in different ways, if you can pinpoint symptoms such as trouble sleeping, or give them a timescale of how you've been feeling and for how long, this can help them give you the most useful medication if required. That's not to say that if you do go and just say you're feeling down pretty much constantly they shouldn't or won't help. You should persist if on the first attempt they don't do anything. If you feel like you want to talk to your GP you should definitely make the appointment asap. The trap with depression is sometimes it prevents you from seeking help when you're most vulnerable and in need of it. Take care.
  • Options
    Hiya

I went to see my gp about depression yesterday
    (well not my gp because I couldn't get an appointment grr)

I basically explained that I thought I had problems with depression. He then asked me about physical symptoms, such as trouble sleeping etc He then asked questions about my general history, who I live with currently and then loads of questions about my sex life lol!

Right then he prescribed me some medicine, told me to call an organisation for counselling and to book an appointment for two weeks.

Anyway all the best with whatever you choose. I'll add some more later to my post but I'm on my iPod right now, so it's quite slow
  • Options
    I did a questionnaire becasue I didn't know how to say it. And the questionnaire told my GP how bad it was the score I got.
  • Options
    Well, it seems like it depends what attitude your doctor has. So, if my first choice doctor is dismissive, I can always go and get a second opinion.

Having done a bit of research on the internet, it seems I have many symptons of depression. In fact, it seems I have almost all of them, bar suicidal tendencies. Questions about my sex life? Oh dear. Family history? Dear, oh dear! Though I want help, I don't fancy being sectioned, I must say!

But thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. It's been a great help.
  • Options
    My doctor was awesome.

I basically said "hey, I think I'm going through a period of really bad depression" and he asked about sleeping habits, how long I'd felt like this, if there was a history in my family etc etc.

Then he explained the options available to me and arranged counselling for me.
  • Options
    re

Hi The Convincor:) ,

Thanks for your questions on the forum. It sounds like you know how you feel and have done some research into symptoms. The best thing to do with your GP is to be as honest and open as you can, you do have the option to change GPs if your not happy. Counselling is also an option in addition or instead of medication, Counsellors are trained to be empathic and supportive which may elleviate your feelings of not being taken seriously.

let us know how you get on and keep posting:wave:
  • Options
    Hiyaaa

I my GP done a questionier on me and it told her how low i was. She then refaired me to a counsiler because i was so low.

She was really supportive tho

Hope You Fell Better Soon

xx
  • Options
    Hey,

just adding to say that I went to see my GP yeserday morning. I simply told him that I believed I was suffering from depression and he asked me if I wanted to talk about it. To be honest, I never went into too much detail about my life, but I told him about how I was feeling, how I'm not caring so much about things, how it's getting hard to get out of bed etc. I also told him that I believe I'd probably had it, on and off, since I was a young teen. He was cool with it, didn't patronize me and talked about certain aspects of my lifestyle, asking me how often I drink and if I take drugs etc. He seemed quite satisfied that I was suffering from depresson and prescribed me a month's course of ant-depressents (fluoxetine 20mg, once a day), and told me to see him again in a month's time.

I'm so relieved it didn't turn out to be as stressful as I feared it might be. I could easily have chickened out of going.
  • Options
    Heyy :)
    Hope everything gets sorted for u then
    xx
  • Options
    re

Hi The Convincer,:)

Glad to here your happy with your GPs response , it sounds like you were very clear and felt listen to, well done and keep posting:wave:
  • Options
    Glad your GP was so supportive :)

Hope the meds work out for you!
  • Options
    Aww, thanks folks. I've been on the meds for a week now. No crazy side effects up to now, which I was worried about, because I generally react to everything. The only difference I feel up to now is that I'm not getting those super-low moments, that sometimes come on me, which is good I guess.
  • Options
    Aww, thanks folks. I've been on the meds for a week now. No crazy side effects up to now, which I was worried about, because I generally react to everything. The only difference I feel up to now is that I'm not getting those super-low moments, that sometimes come on me, which is good I guess.

:yes: :yippe: