Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Meet the daughter...

Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
I've just posted a great new true story about 21 year-old Nicola, who got very worried about meeting her boyfriend's daughter for the first time:

http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/truestories/meetthedaughter

I'm sure she's not the only one who's been through this experience.

Best wishes,

Olly

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting timing.

I should be meeting my bloke's four year old daughter in four days and this gets posted today. :p I'm shitting bricks already because of next weekend so it's nice to read something like this with a happy ending. :)

I'm not feeling much calmer though, haha. I'm just thankful I'm not meeting the mum as well!
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Interesting timing.

I should be meeting my bloke's four year old daughter in four days and this gets posted today. :p I'm shitting bricks already because of next weekend so it's nice to read something like this with a happy ending. :)

I'm not feeling much calmer though, haha. I'm just thankful I'm not meeting the mum as well!

Get her a balloon and some sweeties. That'll win her over ;)
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Get her a balloon and some sweeties. That'll win her over ;)

I promise this works. I was 8 when I met my step-mum. She gave me dolly mixtures and I was sold.
    Yeah, that's a good idea :)

I also have a horse and he says she's really interested in horses but I'd like to meet her at least once first before having them come to the stables.

I also have a horse and he says she's really interested in horses but I'd like to meet her at least once first before having them come to the stables.

Ahh thats perfect. If you ever needed something to show her/take her, the horses are perfect!

Then you're sorted! What girl wouldn't be best friends with someone with a horse?

- But on a serious note, it's good that you have something that will help you bond with her :)
    Thanks for the encouragement :)

Yeah I think it will be alright. It's just a bit daunting as I really want it to go well! Pressure, ahhhh! :p
    Thanks for the encouragement :)

Yeah I think it will be alright. It's just a bit daunting as I really want it to go well! Pressure, ahhhh! :p

You'll be a grand step-mum ;)
    What a bizarre weekend this was. I finally met my boyfriend's daughter.

I met them at a fast food restaurant on Friday and it went well. She was a little shy and almost always whispered to her dad if there was something she wanted to say. He however told me he had half expected her to try to hide behind him and act sour. I was a little stressed myself so I wasn't always sure what to say. It went well.

Yesterday, after the two of them went fishing and caught one fish. I was invited over to come eat it with them. When I got there she was really keen to show me the fish and he told me she was a lot more active after I had come and was all smiles. She had been asking about my horse that day and told him 'I want to visit Jaloux's home!' thinking he stayed here, heehee.

In the evening he was going to put her to sleep and then she asked him if I wasn't going to stay the night. :o Which errrr, happened as I was knackered and fell asleep :p I woke up first the day after and was in the living room when they woke up and the first thing she asked her dad was 'Where's Jaloux??'

I have a night shift tonight so when I left she was asking why I wasn't going to stay over tonight as well! She didn't want me to leave. :lol:

Me and the bloke had both prepared for some drama so this was more than a little unexpected. She seemed pleased to have me around. I wasn't particularly trying to win her over or anything, I was just hanging around, chatting to her now and then and made sure not to hog the dad. :)

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed when her mom and grandparents find out.
    Im glad I came on and read this thread,cos Im in a situation a bit like this too!!
    Well,my gf has got a 1 year old son and we`re both only 21.
    I have no clue with kids whatsoever so Im really nervous and keep having doubts and stuff,like the kid will hate me and all this stuff lol.
    I just got no idea how to interact with kids honestly,Im uselesss and clueless.:lol:
    Well, I certainly remember the first time that I met my first girlfriend's son. There honestly was nothing to worry about. Kids seem to be so much more accepting than adults - they make far less assumptions, if any at all, about you for a start.
    I think a part of the scariness is all the ugly-step-mom/dad stories out there. After somebody told my boyfriend some nonsense about women and 'step children' he was really worried I'd be burned up by jealousy. :yeees: I personally just want to make a good impression on his kid and get along.

I also think that today when most kids have regular access to both their parents it can make things easier. I know I don't need to play a mom to my bloke's kid because she lives with her own most of the time.

Dark X: if your girlfriend's kid is only a year old it's unlikely he'll hate you unless you treat his mom badly down the line! If things go well he should grow up thinking you're just a normal part of his world.
    I've also got no idea how to interact with kids, just sort of cross my fingers and hope for the best the very few times I've found myself around them. I usually want to run a mile if there's some crying going on.