Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Electric razors

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I want to get one, so I'd like to ask what characteristics I should be looking for. I've seen a great difference in prices, so there must be some difference between "good" and "bad" ones. Any advice?

Also, is there a kind that you can use to not cut the hairs entirely, but at a certain length?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get a trimmer, i got Omario a phillips one that he loves.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-T980-Vacuum-Trimmer/dp/B000FEF1V4/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1237790637&sr=8-1

although the vaccum thing doesn't work as well as id hoped *shrugs*
  • Options
    I've been a slaphead for 14 years and I've always used these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4428743/c_1/1|category_root|Health+and+personal+care|12109008/Trail/searchtext%3ECLIPPERS.htm

When I first bought them they were £40 but I'm on my third set in that 14 years and the price keeps dropping.

Unless they're used by a professional hairdresser, most of the time all you need to be concerned about is keeping the blades sharp. IMO you're better off with something like the ones I've got as they don't need to be lubed. Keep the blades clean as well, so after each time you use them, brush all the bits away.
  • Options
    Let's make it clear, just in case, that I want something to shave my face and not my head.

Amira, does that thing also have a setting that will make it operate like a normal razor (meaning close shave) if need be?
  • Options
    how close are you talking, it goes down to a 1 setting which is pretty close but you can also take the attachment off and just use it with the blade like quagmires. the thing Omar loves about this one that he doesn't about quagmires is the attachments/accessories.

I also got him a moser with clip on accessories like quagmires and we found they come off quite easily as opposed to the phillips one which comes off but fits on securely and you twist to get a closer shave etc
  • Options
    I want to get one, so I'd like to ask what characteristics I should be looking for. I've seen a great difference in prices, so there must be some difference between "good" and "bad" ones. Any advice?

Also, is there a kind that you can use to not cut the hairs entirely, but at a certain length?

I assume you mean for cutting hair and not shaving off stubble?

Then I'd say get a cordless cos they're easier to handle.
  • Options
    No, I mean for my face, as I said above...

Basically, I don't want to shave it completely, but I'd like to have the option available. Is that possible with the same machine?
  • Options
    No, I mean for my face, as I said above...

Basically, I don't want to shave it completely, but I'd like to have the option available. Is that possible with the same machine?

I just bought a new electric razor from Argos today - main feature I wanted was that it uses AA Batteries cos it was for travel - the selling feature for me was this though - it's shower proof - my current electric razor is also showerproof - and to clean it you wash it under a running tap.

being able to shave in the shower is a big time saver, it also means your skin gets less irritated - More electric razor will cut below skin level.

and BTW what did you expect posting in the girlie section (getting girls telling you about hair clippers) - post in the techie section like me next time ..LOL
  • Options
    I went into a shop the other day, to take a look around. I found some ranging from 100€ to 300€. Can anyone give me an idea what a fair price would be?
  • Options
    Could someone explain what the main difference is between those that look "normal" and the kind with the 3 rotating circles (besides the obvious)?
  • Options
    Could someone explain what the main difference is between those that look "normal" and the kind with the 3 rotating circles (besides the obvious)?

The ones with the floating heads (3 rotating circles) tend to be better for stubble that grows in all directions.