Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Live Chat with Trevor Phillips Thurs 26th March

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello :wave:

Our next live chat takes place on Thursday 26th March, 7-8pm with Trevor Phillips, the Chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

trevor90x90.jpg

"Trevor was appointed to the Commission in 2006 and has since played a critical role in raising awareness of issues surrounding race, disability and gender. The Commission also has responsibility for the new areas of age, religion and belief, sexual orientation, and the promotion of human rights. Trevor's previous appointment was as Chair of the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) from 1 March 2003.

Born in London in 1953, Trevor attended secondary school in Georgetown, Guyana, and then studied chemistry at Imperial College London. Between 1978 and 1980, he was president of The National Union of Students. He then went into broadcasting, becoming Head of Current Affairs at LWT in 1992. Trevor received awards from the Royal Television Society in 1988, 1993 and 1998.

He was elected as a member of the Greater London Authority in May 2000, and became chair of the Assembly later that month.

Trevor is a director of Pepper Productions, founded in 1995, and was the executive producer on Windrush (which won the Royal Television Society Documentary Series of the Year award in 1998), Britain's Slave Trade, Second Chance and When Black Became Beautiful. He is a vice president of the Royal Television Society.

At present, he is a board member of Aldeburgh Productions and The Bernie Grant Centre in Tottenham. He is a patron of The Sickle Cell Society. Between 1993 and 1998 Trevor was chair of the Runnymede Trust."

We're really excited about this. If you have any questions around identity, human rights and diversity then make sure you come along. If you can't make it feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

See you there :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Any questions in advance of the chat would be great - I've got a fair few but I'd rather they came from you peeps. Obviously come along and ask anything in person but if you can't make it feel free to ask here, or PM Jo if you don't want them public.
  • Options
    1) What's his stance on positive discrimination? Does he believe there's ever a place for it, and if so, why and where?

2) Can he give details of specific events, situations and people which represent the institutional racism he claims is prevalent in the Labour Party?
  • Options
    Excellent stuff man, and I would point out based on when I've seen him run debates himself that he's a guy more than willing to discuss some difficult issues openly - so feel free to go for it :)
  • Options
    A chance to listen to a New Labour stooge talk at me?

Goody gumdrops, I can harldy wait.
  • Options
    Have been lurking around for a while reading the posts here with interest - and sometimes amusement :razz:

Thought I'd come out to post for this one though.

My questions for Trev:

1) It says you spent your formative years in Guyana, attended uni in London, and worked extensively for the Greater London Assembly. How much time have you spent in the rest of the UK? Do you think that you can apply laws or policies on race equally to London as to the UK as a whole? Is London exceptional in terms of race/multiculturalism?

2) Should the government spread resources equally between fighting hostility against religions and fighting hostility against races?
  • Options
    I know it's a long one, but if you could ask it, I'd appreciate it.

"Sayeed Warsi said (paraphrasing) on Question Time that the government should not be giving undeserved status to organisations such as the Muslim Council of Britain, which claim to represent the muslim community, but in reality, represent very few (just 3% of muslims according to a 2007 poll of British muslims for Channel 4). Do you agree that the government gives special treatment by frequent consultation with such groups? And do you agree that it is problematic to give a frequent voice to people claiming to represent a religious community as large and diverse as Islam, without anyone from that community having elected them? Do you think that speaking to "groups" rather than individuals leads to those with the more extreme views being given a voice, and an increase in tension between communities? Or do you think that such groups have a role to play, and if so, what?"

"Do you believe faith schools are good for community cohesion between people of different faiths? Or is the French system of removing all religion from schools the more effective method?"

"Did the Post Office worker who refused to serve people who didn't speak English have the right idea, or were his employers right to sack him?"

If you only have time for one, can it be the first one, pretty please?
  • Options
    I know it's a long one, but if you could ask it, I'd appreciate it.

"Sayeed Warsi said (paraphrasing) on Question Time that the government should not be giving undeserved status to organisations such as the Muslim Council of Britain, which claim to represent the muslim community, but in reality, represent very few (just 3% of muslims according to a 2007 poll of British muslims for Channel 4). Do you agree that the government gives special treatment by frequent consultation with such groups? And do you agree that it is problematic to give a frequent voice to people claiming to represent a religious community as large and diverse as Islam, without anyone from that community having elected them? Do you think that speaking to "groups" rather than individuals leads to those with the more extreme views being given a voice, and an increase in tension between communities? Or do you think that such groups have a role to play, and if so, what?"

"Do you believe faith schools are good for community cohesion between people of different faiths? Or is the French system of removing all religion from schools the more effective method?"

"Did the Post Office worker who refused to serve people who didn't speak English have the right idea, or were his employers right to sack him?"

If you only have time for one, can it be the first one, pretty please?

Good questions, dude. :thumb:
  • Options
    And don't forget if you actually turn up on Thursday you'll get the chance to have your questions asked as a priority :)
  • Options
    Is Ken Livingstone a cunt or what? ;)
  • Options
    How do we break the cycle of racism and acceptance of racism in deprived areas of the UK, where for one reason or another racial tensions have led to prejudice which is just reinforced by the communities instead of challenged like in many other 'communities' (i.e. schools, universities, professional workplaces, this website :))?
  • Options
    Do you believe there is room for racism in comedy?
  • Options
    Just a reminder that this is taking place tonight (7-8pm)

Once we're open you can enter here:
    http://www.thesite.org/realchat/client/chat.jsp

Hope to see you there :D
  • Options
    Oooh I'm so annoyed I can't come. I have a question, though:

In the recent case of the Islington registrar who lost her job because as a Christian she refused to celebrate Civil Partnerships, was she right to claim that this impacted on her freedom of religious belief?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Oooh I'm so annoyed I can't come. I have a question, though:

In the recent case of the Islington registrar who lost her job because as a Christian she refused to celebrate Civil Partnerships, was she right to claim that this impacted on her freedom of religious belief?

Oooh! I like this question!
  • Options
    Just one hour to go folks :)
  • Options
    We're open: http://www.thesite.org.uk/realchat/client/chat.jsp

Trevor will be with us shortly :yes:
  • Options
    Some great questions and answers tonight guys, transcript up as soon as we can :thumb:
  • Options
    Did you ask my question?
  • Options
    We didn't in the end - though I can confirm that Trevor did see it when he checked the thread out :)
  • Options
    When's the transcript going to be up, Jim/Jo7? Not that it's a quiet Friday at work or anything...
  • Options
    When's the transcript going to be up, Jim/Jo7? Not that it's a quiet Friday at work or anything...

We're hoping to get it up today, if not it will be early next week :yes:
  • Options
    Okay folks - chat's now live over here -
    http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat/chatarchive/trevorphillipschat

Hope you enjoy reading it, it was a really interesting chat to be involved with
  • Options
    Thanks!