Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bi polar disorder please read x

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi im bit upset wel alot upset my best friend husband just text me to tell my she has mild to moderate bi polar disorder.
Can some one help me to understand what it is.
Look like she always had it but misdiagonsed as depression.
Ive know her 2+half yrs and past 8month changed so much we dont spend any time at all together used be everyday,she hardly comes to school her daughter+my daughter go same primary school i seen her twice in a month that was 2min. :crying: im so upset i just want to hug her her husband said dont let on i know yet she sucicidal at mo

Comments

• Options
    Hiya

I think the BBC website is quite helpful on this one, so you might wanna take a look at this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/mental_health/disorders_bipolar.shtml

Bipolar is indeed often misdiagnosed as depression, so although it might be upsetting to hear of this diagnosis, it is the best thing for your friend as hopefully now any treatment she receives will be more likely to be beneficial now the professionals have a greater understanding of what is going on for her.

You mention you don't see her much anymore, maybe ask her husband what he thinks? If not, could you give her a call, send her an email? Not a serious one, but maybe just a light-hearted chatty one, just to let her know you want to stay in contact?

If shes suicidal then maybe encourage her husband to pass on the number of samaritans to her, or try and get her to email them or phone another helpline.

All the best with it, please look after yourself too!
    Take care
  • Options
    Aww thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
    She knows im here i text her everyday she never or hardly responds she 31year old too she going see a psch nurse next thur to asses what risk she is to herself.
    And they will find out def next couple weeks if it is bi polar.
    Im so worried dont want her harm herself.she just cutting herself off from everyone at moment i think. she knows im here.Her husband said she hides it very well from friends.
    And im not bothered about me more concerned over her and kids and husband thank you for takimg time to replying.And just read that article thank you helpful very much it is like depression isnt it but very servere though.
  • Options
    re

Hi aj fan,

Good advice from Purple Starfish:)

Keep posting if you want any more help:)