Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

almost the worst morning ever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I woke up at 6.30am with very painful stomach pains. I have a huge phobia of being sick so tried to stay calm. I made myself a makeshift hot water bottle using an empty water bottle and some hot water from the tap but still the pain didn't go away. I waited for two hours pretty much doubled over in my bed in pain before going to the nursing bay at uni. I was feeling panicky and the nurse that I usually see is always really supportive. I just needed to lie down a bit and maybe ask for a hot water bottle.

I managed to stumble over there in a stupid teary state and saw a nurse I hadnt seen before. I was crying and just trying to tell her I have panic attacks so my stomach pain is making me very concerned because of my phobia of vomiting. She told me I need to go get something to eat and maybe some water, then if I need to be sick I will be and if not..then I wont. I freak out at the word 'vomit' so this didnt help. She was really nice but kept asking about what I eat blatently trying to make out I'm anorexic. When I tried to explain my phobia adding that I avoid eating meat at uni incase of food poisoning she asked how long I had had issues with food :confused: and what do I usually eat in the morning.

This is really embarassing but I was ringing my mum frantically and she wasnt pleased because she was at work and kept saying she couldnt come pick me up. I realise how selfish it sounds but in the state I was in it felt like my only hope was to get her to take me away. I kept saying that I'd pay for transport (she doesnt have a car) just to come but she said it isnt about the money. She has a lot on at work and that I'm in the best place medically if I am ill and not to fret.

The nurse gave me a hot water bottle and I had a lie down in the bed and the stomach pains stopped. This is the really embarassing part. It was all just probably indigestion. I felt awful and like a stupid child so walked out of the nursing bay straight into the counselling office where a woman was really kind and talked to me for a bit. I had to leave and go there because I felt like I had no other choice but to hurt myself. I know it sounds stupid but that's how pathetic and embarassed I feel :(

I am okay now, no stomach pains. Just how am I going to survive in the 'real world' when at 22 I freak out so much? I just feel so embarassed. Although I dont think the nurse understood very well. She didnt offer me any other tissues and just left me on my own, not offering me a magazine to read or to lie down in the bed or anything. I feel bad but I think that is why I just walked out. Just wanted to post here because gahhhh.... :(

Comments

• Options
    I woke up at 6.30am with very painful stomach pains. I have a huge phobia of being sick so tried to stay calm. I made myself a makeshift hot water bottle using an empty water bottle and some hot water from the tap but still the pain didn't go away. I waited for two hours pretty much doubled over in my bed in pain before going to the nursing bay at uni. I was feeling panicky and the nurse that I usually see is always really supportive. I just needed to lie down a bit and maybe ask for a hot water bottle.

I managed to stumble over there in a stupid teary state and saw a nurse I hadnt seen before. I was crying and just trying to tell her I have panic attacks so my stomach pain is making me very concerned because of my phobia of vomiting. She told me I need to go get something to eat and maybe some water, then if I need to be sick I will be and if not..then I wont. I freak out at the word 'vomit' so this didnt help. She was really nice but kept asking about what I eat blatently trying to make out I'm anorexic. When I tried to explain my phobia adding that I avoid eating meat at uni incase of food poisoning she asked how long I had had issues with food :confused: and what do I usually eat in the morning.

This is really embarassing but I was ringing my mum frantically and she wasnt pleased because she was at work and kept saying she couldnt come pick me up. I realise how selfish it sounds but in the state I was in it felt like my only hope was to get her to take me away. I kept saying that I'd pay for transport (she doesnt have a car) just to come but she said it isnt about the money. She has a lot on at work and that I'm in the best place medically if I am ill and not to fret.

The nurse gave me a hot water bottle and I had a lie down in the bed and the stomach pains stopped. This is the really embarassing part. It was all just probably indigestion. I felt awful and like a stupid child so walked out of the nursing bay straight into the counselling office where a woman was really kind and talked to me for a bit. I had to leave and go there because I felt like I had no other choice but to hurt myself. I know it sounds stupid but that's how pathetic and embarassed I feel :(

I am okay now, no stomach pains. Just how am I going to survive in the 'real world' when at 22 I freak out so much? I just feel so embarassed. Although I dont think the nurse understood very well. She didnt offer me any other tissues and just left me on my own, not offering me a magazine to read or to lie down in the bed or anything. I feel bad but I think that is why I just walked out. Just wanted to post here because gahhhh.... :(

First off! *hugs* I went to see a doctor before because I was pretty sure I was dying but it was actually only hearburn. And yet, when I was actually dying I refused to go and see a doctor because I thought I was only a little bit sick!

I think you should get yourself a hot water bottle asap anyway =] They're useful to have. You can get a really cute one with a fluffy dog cover or something!

Hope you're feeling better now!
    Don't be feeling stupid - you were in a lot of pain and you went to see a nurse! It makese sense!
  • Options
    thanks :) just feel silly now, apoligised to my mum for stressing her out
  • Options
    thanks :) just feel silly now, apoligised to my mum for stressing her out

I went all the way to hospital once, took the day off work at the risk of an angry meeting and dragged my flatmate with me because I was having really bad chest pains. I waited for hours and hours, got blood tests and xrays only to be told that it must be stress related and I should go home and take some paracetamol.

I felt like an idiot.
  • Options
    I would have phoned my mum or close friend too. The worst thing when you are a bit panicky is when someone starts interrogating you. Best thing is a bit of reassurance and perhaps a giggle to lift your sprits. Glad you feel a bit better now.

Also, don't worry about getting panicy at 22, you are really young and have loads of time to learn some coping techniques and be more confident that you can cope. You did cope, even when you had a wobble- you're still here chick.

x
  • Options
    thanks for the replies :) the woman made me a follow up appointment in counselling hopefully to talk about coping techniques
  • Options
    thanks for the replies :) the woman made me a follow up appointment in counselling hopefully to talk about coping techniques

=] Best of luck! Sounds good, to be honest.
  • Options
    When I tried to explain my phobia adding that I avoid eating meat at uni incase of food poisoning she asked how long I had had issues with food :confused: and what do I usually eat in the morning.

This confuses me somewhat. I know if I had an experience with food pisoning then I probably wouldn't want to eat that food either.
    Just how am I going to survive in the 'real world' when at 22 I freak out so much?

Do you have any friends or family to talk to?
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better, I'm 28 and only in the last year have I got to the point where I don't go into full-scale panic if I feel a bit sick (I'm chunderphobic too). And I am out and surviving in the real world!

You'll be ok. Give yourself a break
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    This confuses me somewhat. I know if I had an experience with food pisoning then I probably wouldn't want to eat that food either.

I don't think Rach has actually had food poisoning, but phobias cause extreme avoidance, and I'm guessing she sees meat as being a risky food, so doesn't eat it just in case. If she's owt like I was a few years ago, she won't eat any meat unless she has personally cooked it (and probably burnt it to the point of inedibility!).
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I don't think Rach has actually had food poisoning, but phobias cause extreme avoidance, and I'm guessing she sees meat as being a risky food, so doesn't eat it just in case. If she's owt like I was a few years ago, she won't eat any meat unless she has personally cooked it (and probably burnt it to the point of inedibility!).

haha, too right :) chicken is a no go at the moment
  • Options
    my anxiety is getting worse here so i've given in and im going home tonight for a few days. i have my work with me so i can do that. i know it's the old 'flight/flee' syndrome but i cant imagine not going. i have a seminar tomorrow but can send my apologies. should i just say that im ill?
  • Options
    Around I think 2 months ago, I thought I had food posioning. I weren't panicing out or anything, but I was getting to the point where I started reading up on symptoms etc. Well I was positive I met them all, it must have been 2 weeks, and by that time I thought it was something serious. Since food posioning only lasts roughly a week anyway. So I told a few friends and they were freaking out thinking I was going to die. So I got that into my head... I went the walk in almost instantly at around 11pm! Looking like shit, feeling like shit I went. Got there, they took a sample of my urine and told me I was fine, it must have been just a stomach bug.

I left quickly, haha.
  • Options
    I think it's a really good idea to get some counselling for this- i believe the phobia will be beaten once you get your anxiety under control :) (well...same thing really..but y'know)
    I understand about freaking out, cuz you are at uni, in an unfamiliar place, and when you feel sick and anxious it's really tough! all you wanna be is at home under your old duvet!

I think that in the counselling if you explain your phobia and things, and make an 'action plan' for if something like this happens again, so you will know exactly who to contact, what you yourself can do to help calm you down etc, it will take some of the fear away.

<3 Gabbie