Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Medication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya

Yesterday I started taking anti-depressants perscribed to me by a GP.

Basically this is something I have no idea about... as I have never really been on long-term medication, apart from maybe once in my life (and that was for a weird type of ongoing dizzyness).

And this doctor talked about it being for maybe 6 months. If I'm totally honest, I really didn't understand much of what he said (he had an accent....) and I should have asked more questions but I was a bit upset at the time. So maybe he didn't actually mean that, as I really would prefer to be on medication for the least amount of time possible... but ah well.

Anyways.... so I told someone from the charity I volunteer with. (Because they would pick it up on any medical forms I filled in from now on...) and they said I would have to fill in another sort of form / go through a process. Or something like that...

And I'm wondering... do I *have* to tell anyone else that I'm taking this medication? I'll put it on any medical forms I fill in for school... but what about my workplace? Do I need to tell them? I just have noone to ask about this... and really don't have a clue.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hiya

Yesterday I started taking anti-depressants perscribed to me by a GP.

Basically this is something I have no idea about... as I have never really been on long-term medication, apart from maybe once in my life (and that was for a weird type of ongoing dizzyness).

And this doctor talked about it being for maybe 6 months. If I'm totally honest, I really didn't understand much of what he said (he had an accent....) and I should have asked more questions but I was a bit upset at the time. So maybe he didn't actually mean that, as I really would prefer to be on medication for the least amount of time possible... but ah well.

Anyways.... so I told someone from the charity I volunteer with. (Because they would pick it up on any medical forms I filled in from now on...) and they said I would have to fill in another sort of form / go through a process. Or something like that...

And I'm wondering... do I *have* to tell anyone else that I'm taking this medication? I'll put it on any medical forms I fill in for school... but what about my workplace? Do I need to tell them? I just have noone to ask about this... and really don't have a clue.

Thanks

I'm not sure about charity work (cause I guess it depends on the nature of what you're doing) but you don't have to declare mental health things on a job form.
  • Options
    The only times I've filled out what medications I'm on for work is if something might interfear with a drug test, so anti depressants don't have to go on the list. Though sometimes it does help to have your employeer know about such things. Just in case something comes up where you need time off work, can't do something or anything else, instead of just being an obstanent employee, they are aware of your conditions and inhibitions and can work around it so you are as comfortable as you can be :)
  • Options
    hello purple star :wave:

You said you were a bit upset and didnt understand every thing your doctor said ,to help clear your mind and answer some of those questions you have why not see if they have a practice nurse at your doctors you could have a chat with them.

Also it may be a good idea to call your local citizin advice line, you can find the number on there web site, this may help you to have a clear understanding of who you have to inform.

Good luck :thumb: