Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Two soldiers AWOL amid bullying allegations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/13/army-barracks-bullying

If the story is as reported them good on 'em - if their employer won't protect them then they shouldn't put up with it.

Comments

• Options
    Reminds of Deepcut- something for which nobody has been punished.

Deepcut is obviously a lot more serious, seeing as at least one or several of the soliders had actually been murdered, even though the inquiry hilariously (for want of a better word) ruled that all the deaths were suicides.

Sadly there are still a few types out there- officers included- who think such bullying is all part of military life, and that anyone prepared to fight and die in battle should simply put up with it.
  • Options
    Be interesting to hear from anyone with services experience on this...
  • Options
    Be interesting to hear from anyone with services experience on this...
    If only we had any regular posters who had served in the Army...

;)

Actually I did my military service in Spain for what's worth. There was bullying for sure, though I did not see or hear of any physical abuse while I was there. It was more a case of "you newbie are my property, and will run errands for me, make my bed, polish my boots etc".
  • Options
    Put groups of young men together and there's fights. But I never saw a systematic case of bullying that wasn't dealt with pretty quickly (and interstingly I saw some stats ages ago which showed less soldiers had ever seen a case of bullying than NHS staff and civil servants). Could be bullying or it could be a fight which they lost...

That said I think there is a case for beasting, hard physical exercise to the point of exhaustion for minor infractions a) it's a punishment b) it build's fitness and c) it's better for a poorly paid private on low pay than going up before the and fined.
  • Options

That said I think there is a case for beasting, hard physical exercise to the point of exhaustion for minor infractions a) it's a punishment b) it build's fitness and c) it's better for a poorly paid private on low pay than going up before the and fined.
    Press-ups were the common currency of minor punishments when I was in the Spanish army (as I understand is the case in most armies). I have to say it gets you very fit after a while. Between scheduled exercises and punishments, there were days when we must have done in excess of of 200 press ups (spread throughout the day). :D

We were also were made to run with all our kit to the very point of collapse once when we pissed off our captain. That wasn't much fun actually. A few lads looked ready to drop dead and a couple were in tears at the end.
  • Options
    Yep things like that, putting soldiers in stress positions. Or my old favourite making the rest of the platoon do press-ups whilst the malefactor had to count them out (a few choice words from their mates tends to mend their ways) - of course you had to be careful with that one, as you didn't want the platoon ugly duckling to find himself ostracised, but it works well with the cocky lad who suddenly finds himself your platoon's least popular member.

The only time I ever saw an NCO ever lay serious hands on someone was a fight when I saw my Platoon sergeant drag someone off the top of the person he was punching and throw him into a wall. OK I saw a lot of minor stuff like a NCO lightly kicking the leg of a soldier who leg's were splayed so far apart when he was on the range he looked like a starfish or clubbing a soldiers helmet with a magazine he'd dropped. and Rugby (and any other sport) could be bloody, as could exercises against rival regiments (or NATO forces).

But serious bullying is rare and rarer still in the infantry, with good leadership, esprit de corp and a serious chance of being deployed for real. After all you want your mates to give their lives for you, not shoot you in the back because you beat them black and blue...
  • Options
    Yep things like that, putting soldiers in stress positions. Or my old favourite making the rest of the platoon do press-ups whilst the malefactor had to count them out (a few choice words from their mates tends to mend their ways) - of course you had to be careful with that one, as you didn't want the platoon ugly duckling to find himself ostracised, but it works well with the cocky lad who suddenly finds himself your platoon's least popular member.
    Private Pile off Full Metal Jacket comes to mind...
    :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Private Pile off Full Metal Jacket comes to mind...
    :D

Having one of your blokes shoot one of your NCO's isn't regarded as a good career move it has to be said....
  • Options
    The only time I ever saw an NCO ever lay serious hands on someone was a fight when I saw my Platoon sergeant drag someone off the top of the person he was punching and throw him into a wall. OK I saw a lot of minor stuff like a NCO lightly kicking the leg of a soldier who leg's were splayed so far apart when he was on the range he looked like a starfish or clubbing a soldiers helmet with a magazine he'd dropped. and Rugby (and any other sport) could be bloody, as could exercises against rival regiments (or NATO forces).

Mmm I can see that, but in this case it would appear that it's less about the beastings as an unpleasant and tiring experience which ultimately promotes harmony; more about a serious lack of discipline and a genuinely dangerous workplace.

As I recall the response to Deepcut was less than brilliant...