Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Finding a room to rent while unemployed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Afternoon all,

To cut a long story short I've been sleeping in my parents living room since finishing uni last September. Until this morning i DID have a temp job but I lost that this morning. I'm currently waiting on a job application before I decided my next move.

If I'm not successful in getting this job I want, I want to move out of my parents place anyway, to London to be exact. I've made previous enquires about signing up with temping agencies but none are willing to give me work unless I already live in London...and I don't really want to move without a job but it's something I'll probably have to do, especially as it's what I will need to do in order to get into my chosen industry.

So, I was wondering, would being unemployed prove to be a problem when trying to find somewhere to rent? I still have my student overdraft of £2000 there until October. I've just about managed to escape it now, but will landlords be likely to want to let me rent without a job?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Unless you're really sure you can get a job quick, I'd try and collect some more cash up before moving to London. Accommodation, bills, etc.. will quickly eat through 2k.
  • Options
    Could you not pretend that your temporarily living at a friends house in london and use thier address to sign up with a temp agency? Then once you have a job you could commute for a bit and find somewhere to live....
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Unless you're really sure you can get a job quick, I'd try and collect some more cash up before moving to London. Accommodation, bills, etc.. will quickly eat through 2k.

I'm not saying I can guarentee I will find work, but even in this economic climate a few of my old coursemates who took the jump have managed to find work in a short space of time and thats in the industry. I'd take anything for now.

Wyetry wrote: »
    Could you not pretend that your temporarily living at a friends house in london and use thier address to sign up with a temp agency? Then once you have a job you could commute for a bit and find somewhere to live....

That is an idea, but wouldn't that count as some sort of deception? Though I suppose it'd be no different than to say I'm staying with my parents here at home.
  • Options
    I think that the temp agency only need your address to ensure that you're paying the right tax and stuff.

Basically, with the room rental - it depends. Students manage to rent without a job, they just get a parent to act as guarantor. Would yours be prepared to do that?

And bear in mind that it's not just your first month rent you have to find up front - lots of landlords want a damage deposit (usually the equivalent of 4-6 weeks rent) and if they're going through an agency, the agency often charge an admin fee.
  • Options
    I think that the temp agency only need your address to ensure that you're paying the right tax and stuff.

Basically, with the room rental - it depends. Students manage to rent without a job, they just get a parent to act as guarantor. Would yours be prepared to do that?

And bear in mind that it's not just your first month rent you have to find up front - lots of landlords want a damage deposit (usually the equivalent of 4-6 weeks rent) and if they're going through an agency, the agency often charge an admin fee.

I know students do that, I was one for four years. :) I could put my parents down but they're not really in a position to pay anything at this moment in time. My dad is being made redundent from his job soon.

I know about deposits already but I've never come across an admin fee before. Would I just have to try and avoid agencies for that? I did look at some flats around here when I thought my position was going to be more permanent and no fees were involved, though I did find them through a website where agencies weren't involved.

It's the fact that I'm sleeping in the living room that is really getting me down right now. I just hope I can afford to move without work and find something in the short term.

Fingers crossed this won't even be an issue and I'll get the job I want!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I know about deposits already but I've never come across an admin fee before. Would I just have to try and avoid agencies for that?

A wise man (Kermit i think) once said 'All letting agents are cunts' and never a truer word has been said.

When me and Leigh first started looking for somewhere to rent, we found the fees can be extortinate.

Credit check - Costs £2-£10 seen agents charge £250.
    Lease - Costs about £3(ish) sending copies thru post etc, seen agents charge £550 PER LEASE.

I suppose the idea about going through an agency is you have someone 'professional' to complain to if things go wrong. But from experience and reading posts on here they really couldn't give a fuck if the house was on fire.

From experience, you're more likely to get a room share/flat dealing direct through a private lanlord if you're going to be claiming benefit.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll give you that, Rubberskin - they can be arses. But (on the side of the agents, for once), it's not like they're running a charity. Did you expect them to provide these services for free? I was an agent and you get all sorts of shit from people about it, and ultimately, it's not a free service, and by writing off agencies you do miss out on a lot of the bigger and more professional landlords who don't deal with any of their portfolio and just stick them on with an agent. And there are ombudsmans (ombudsmen?!) and regulatory bodies for letting agents - ARLA for example - who do have a code of practice to follow.

Having said that, if you're going through an agency, try and find a property which is landlord managed. Letting agents really don't give a toss once they've got the tenants in.
  • Options
    But (on the side of the agents, for once), it's not like they're running a charity. Did you expect them to provide these services for free?

No and never said they should. Wind ya neck in love.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    No and never said they should. Wind ya neck in love.

Saucer of milk? :p

Seriously though moving to London without a job is risky but aslong as you have some funds aside you can do it.

When I moved into my place, I never even met the landlord. It was just the two guys I live with. I did have a job, but I could have told them any old rubbish, its not like they followed me to work to check on me.

At the end of the day all they are bothered about is I pay my rent.

To sum it up what I am saying is lie about a job (if your landlord asks).
  • Options
    yeah don't bother with the agencies just go via gumtree or private letting ads, you will need 4 weeks bond and 4 weeks rent in advance usually so just do the math first. you can even find shorter term lets on a weekly basis that are a bit more pricey but less bond / advance rent required up front so worth a look if it's just a ST pad to crash...
  • Options
    Cheers everyone. I'll let you know how it goes if I indeed do have to move to London. Hopefully it won't be an issue and I'll be moving to another city where I've applied for a job. However I thought I'd do some pre planning in the event of the worst.

By the way I've been using spareroom to look at places. Seems to be good.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Saucer of milk?

Not at all. I don't like people assuming i'm thinking something then implying i've thought it.

And as she says herself.

Letting agents really don't give a toss once they've got the tenants in.
  • Options
    Well, I'm going to have to put this into action now. Got rejected by the job I was waiting on so London it will be.
  • Options
    Good luck Danny!
  • Options
    if you google roomates/flatmates etc loads of houseshare websites come up. ive found a few of them to be quite good, would that be an option for you?
  • Options
    Considering what we have been seeing in the news lately I am not sure that there is too much reason for optimism.
  • Options
    Considering what we have been seeing in the news lately I am not sure that there is too much reason for optimism.
    Shall we just kill ourselves now :rolleyes:
  • Options
    He's just spamming his site.
  • Options
    Most landlords require that tennents are workers. A few years back, I made applications for non-local jobs and didn't commit myself to a rented bedsit until I was secured with my new job.