Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Quagmire effect

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is getting to be beyond a fucking joke now.....

For most of last week I was msn'ing, chatting to and texting this girl I was in school with and caught up with on FB. It was pretty obvious that we fancied each other and agreed to meet up on saturday night for a drink and whatever else took our fancy.

Nothing was promised, we didn't talk about a relationship, nothing like that.

So we meet up in Cardiff for a drink and pretty soon we're playing tongue tennis. I didn't have any plans to shag her, unlike the real Glenn Quagmire I prefer to know them a little better first, and i told her I don't do one-nighters anymore, she was impressed with that But we were all over each other for most of the evening, It really seemed like we clicked.

At the end of the night I dropped her off and went home. All good I thought.

I decided I didn't want to come across as clingy or needy but certainly did feel like seeing her again so later the following evening I text her saying "Hey, hope you're ok, Ii really enjoyed last night, would love to meet up again sometime when you're free", she replied "ok x".

She text me a bit this week, I text her back, all ok or so I thought until I text her tonight to see if she's free this weekend.

She replied she's now seeing someone. A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who she knows confirmed it.

Let me make it clear I'm not bitching about her going with someone else and not me.

But she told me she's "kind of seeing a few people right now" and I believe her when she says none of them are sexual (I'm not naive but trust me when I say I do believe her on that).

So what was saturday all about? Granted neither of us mentioned having a relationship but I made it clear I don't sleep around.

So is that how it's done? If you're classed as single but 'dating' or 'seeing' people then do 'the rules' state you can snog someone, walk from pub to pub holding their hand, giving the impression to anyone watching that you are in a relationship with that person but be free to flit between them until you choose the one you want?

Again I'm not bitching that she chose someone else over me - I'm just trying to find out if that's how things are done these days. OK I'm not a middle aged old git but at 34 I'm pretty much confused over this.

Comments

• Options
    Yup i agree with you there, I'd be pissed off as well.
    Did she not even say to you that she was dating a few people at once? Even if she did or didnt thats pretty damn rude to give him someone the impression that your getting on well and all that and then piss all over it.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Yup i agree with you there, I'd be pissed off as well.
    Did she not even say to you that she was dating a few people at once? Even if she did or didnt thats pretty damn rude to give him someone the impression that your getting on well and all that and then piss all over it.

No, she didn't mention anything at all. To be honest I'd have thought the way that the way it was obvious that we fancied each other during the week would have meant she'd have said something.
  • Options
    I'm confused. Did she say she doesn't want to see you again, or did she say she can't because she's busy but would like to another time?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I'm confused. Did she say she doesn't want to see you again, or did she say she can't because she's busy but would like to another time?

Sorry - been typing most of this while on the phone - blokes/multitasking etc :D

She said she can't see me again because she's now with someone - and she's not just 'saying' that, a mate who knows one of her mates has confirmed it.
  • Options
    Its just good manners and courteous in my eyes to tell someone in this situation if you're seeing someone, whether its serious or just dating. Especially when you got as close as you said.
  • Options
    Yeah dunno if its the same for older people but in school we got this ''rule'' thing where if you like a person you'll "go with them" basically try em out see if theyre cut out to be your partener, a sorta try before you buy thing

i dont like the idea but everyone does it really..
  • Options
    LMAO!

Yeah, it's when you're older it's called dating, and quite often, a one night stand :)
  • Options
    Yeah dunno if its the same for older people but in school we got this ''rule'' thing where if you like a person you'll "go with them" basically try em out see if theyre cut out to be your partener, a sorta try before you buy thing

i dont like the idea but everyone does it really..

Thats not really the same as going out for a drink and chatting thats like seeing if they're a good enough shag to be your partner.. hmm not liking that at all :no:
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Its just good manners and courteous in my eyes to tell someone in this situation if you're seeing someone, whether its serious or just dating. Especially when you got as close as you said.

:yes: I'd be rather pissed too.
  • Options
    Happens.

From reading that, I think the writing was on the wall when she just texted back "ok", I'd have thought she might have been a bit more enthusiastic about it.

Cookie crumbles and all that.
  • Options
    that's how it is. She was just looking for some fun right this moment and not think about it. The kind of desire you feel when you see one of those chocolate frosted sugar bombs sweets and you know it will shorten your life for a few days, but you are still going to buy it.

At least you get some action, that's a good sign, now just carry on and don't get pissed at stuff like this.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Happens.

From reading that, I think the writing was on the wall when she just texted back "ok", I'd have thought she might have been a bit more enthusiastic about it.

Cookie crumbles and all that.

Agreed.

Least you had good night - use it as an ego boost not as rejection.