Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please explain to me how this is even Policing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/mar/12/kingsnorth-activism

This is not on; this isn't policing it is political violence against peaceful protest - they've told lies in the media about weapons that weren't, they've made false claims about officer injuries, and conducted the type of operations that wouldn't look out of place at Guantanamo.

Let us be clear here - they weren't confronting groups of violent extremists; these people were undertaking actions which largely weren't even disruptive - most of what went on was about community organising to do mundane stuff like pool communal waste resources into new energy or reuse is for growing vegetables - boring shit!

I wonder if there is a culture developing in the police service which appears to present anyone who has a cause as a legitimate target, just for having the audacity to speak up. No, it's not a police state (yet) but I think there is a worrying trend here - they just lump 'protesters' into a big group to be smacked over the head and told to go away, whatever the issue or conduct.

Comments

• Options
    you sound surprised MB, why else have they been passing record amount of legislation to suppress civil liberties? oh yeah i forgot, they're trying to save us from the terrorists...
  • Options
    I'm not surprised, I'm just concerned that there are not any elements in the Police service willing to speak up on this - I know for a fact that they are not all repressive, reactionary cunts.
  • Options
    To be fair though, this is old news that's just been dragged up again.

Does make me glad I'm a community officer, means I can steer well clear of all this political crap.
  • Options
    On the final day of the protest the van departed and - in what was taken as a smug gesture of triumphalism - blasted out "I fought the law and the law won", the lyrics to the Clash's rowdy cover...

They didn't use the Bobby Fuller version? BASTARDS!:mad: