Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Northern Ireland question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to be visiting Belfast soon and I never thought I'd have a problem as I thought the troubles were in the past but this has made me think about things.

This is really aimed at N Ireland TheSite users - I've been told that if there is any prejudice against Brits from people in the street then it's more likely to be aimed at English people. That's all very well however I'm Welsh. I confess my ignorance to all this but as I understand it (and I probably don't) anyone with a problem with the British in N Ireland are less likely to be bothered by a Taff.

A few years ago a mate of mine was in a pub in Lisburn and got chatting to some regulars, they were quietly anti-British. My mate (who's also Welsh) said "so why don't you have a problem with me?" to which one of them answered "You're not British, you're Welsh".

Norn Iron residents, your thoughts please....

Comments

• Options
    if you're in belfast and you're drinking in the city centre it wouldnt be an issue, the majority of the central bars are fine and noone would look at you twice

when you start going into bars outside of the city centre the story could change a little .. personally i wouldnt sit in 95% of the bars outside of the city centre, theres a fair chance you would get a few funny looks for being a stranger nevermind where you're from .. a lot of that probably being linked back to the way things were in the past

its inevitable that some people will have anti-british feelings, probably akin to the reception you would have got in bars in england with a belfast accent 20 years ago! aslong as you arent in the rougher bars that arent more central, there wouldnt be any problem

there would be more of an anti english feeling than anythin tho.. ie braveheart type thing if ya get where im comin from, i think these types of people would see scottish and welsh being on the same side in regards to the past

previously it might have been more of an issue, but in this day and age i wouldnt think so. id bring an english friend to my local before id bring a protestant friend!
  • Options
    There is no reason to presume you will be hated, it's like anywhere in the world, there is porblems, and if you don't want to run into them then don't go to those places.

Everyone has a different perspective of life so to try and genearlise the reactions of people in NI is rather pathetic of you mr quagmire.
  • Options
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    There is no reason to presume you will be hated, it's like anywhere in the world, there is porblems, and if you don't want to run into them then don't go to those places.

Everyone has a different perspective of life so to try and genearlise the reactions of people in NI is rather pathetic of you mr quagmire.

Seriously, I wish you well in your quest for a personality.

I'm going on what I've been told by people I know. You know, trying to research the matter before I go, common decency and all, not that you'd have much experience of it.
  • Options
    To be honest...I think it's similar to asking whether it's safe for an English person to go to France. Of course it is! They might not give an English person the time of day, but when you mention Celtic orgins, they love you.
  • Options
    To be honest...I think it's similar to asking whether it's safe for an English person to go to France. Of course it is! They might not give an English person the time of day, but when you mention Celtic orgins, they love you.

Difference being there isn't a recent history of fatal anti-English feeling in France.....
  • Options
    Difference being there isn't a recent history of fatal anti-English feeling in France.....

I often wonder though...if there are any English people who fear being beaten up by us Scots.
  • Options
    To the posters that have marked this as a stupid post - get real! As aiden has said, there are anti-english opinions in some pubs. So quagmire was exactly right in asking his question! The world isnt all humanitarianist as some might like to think, imagine walking through the streets of afghanistan - most of us wouldnt last 2 seconds!
  • Options
    Personality? I would much prefer to say that you know nout of "my personality" and from your question that only aims to look for a trait within a population must mean there is something different in yours than mine.
  • Options
    I'm not really interested in childish arguments, either you bring something civil to this thread or frankly why bother.
  • Options
    I think the main question is .. where exactly in Belfast are you going/ staying?
  • Options
    My itinerary says I'll be staying in a small town called Hillsborough which is near Lisburn, with some time in Newry and Belfast city centre.

Ideally I'd like to visit Shankhill Road just to experience the history of the place for myself. On another forum someone suggested that if I do then I should wear my Welsh rugby top and have a small Welsh flag on my car registration plate but I've got the feeling he was winding me up...
  • Options
    haha

what history are you expecting to find on the shankill mate? its just a road with many a union jack and the odd shabby mural!

you'll be fine mate, although no gurantees up the shankill! lol
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    what history are you expecting to find on the shankill mate? its just a road with many a union jack and the odd shabby mural!

I know but it represents a significant part of UK history, regardless of the politics involved I'd like to pay my respects and witness it for myself.
  • Options
    thats all well and good but i dont understand what significant bit of history it represents!
  • Options
    Well that's a subject for a different thread ;)

So do you reckon a Welsh flag sticker on the back of my car would be ok or not neccessary?
  • Options

So do you reckon a Welsh flag sticker on the back of my car would be ok or not neccessary?

Course its not neccessary! You're just attracting unwanted attention to yourself. Its not like you're going into a war zone and need to tell the friendly fighter jets that you're a friendly :p you'll be fine! Just act normal!
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Course its not neccessary! You're just attracting unwanted attention to yourself. Its not like you're going into a war zone and need to tell the friendly fighter jets that you're a friendly :p you'll be fine! Just act normal!

^^ Listen to this guy, hes from Nottingham.

Nottingham makes Belfast look like Little House on the Prairie :D
  • Options

ditch the sticker, tricolour on the back window and celtic top on, ill get the bets on the go see how long ya last :D

but no, i honestly wouldnt worry, the shankill road itself is a very busy road during the day i doubt anyone would notice, although id shy away from the estates! :thumb:
  • Options
    with some time in Newry.

Haha that's where I'm from. Not much to do there mate except shop.

As already said, it's more an anti-English sentiment than anything else, I couldn't give two fucks who you are or where you're from personally but some people do. Just keep yourself to yourself and don't say anything political, you'll be sweet.
  • Options
    Whatever we believe about this, it is important to communicate it in a spirit of love and respect.
  • Options
    Whatever we believe about this, it is important to communicate it in a spirit of love and respect.

Fuck off you hippy cunt!
  • Options

And what does it say at revelation chapter fourteen verse twelve that I can't be arsed blowing dust of the bookshelves to find out for myself then?
  • Options
    And what does it say at revelation chapter fourteen verse twelve that I can't be arsed blowing dust of the bookshelves to find out for myself then?

Says the Welsh are banned from everywhere!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Fuck off you hippy cunt!

:razz:

I've just come back from a visit to NI, was in Banbridge last night which was scary especially as I remember being over there when the Moira and Omagh bombings happened and it was... scary, frankly.

That said, I've never had any problems in Northern Ireland (though my mum's from Belfast so I've always been flanked by relatives when I've been over) except for a drive-by turniping in Coleraine. Don't think that was anything to do with being English though, more to do with the culprits being dafties/drunk/both :lol:

Are you over there on a work-related thing? My cousins live in Lisburn and it's pretty nice these days... well, it's all relative. Though where they live it stinks of burning animals /off topic. If you want to go somewhere nice in Belfast that's central then I suggest climbing a "mountain" :thumb: or on the flying fox in Lady Dixon park. Good times!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Haha that's where I'm from. Not much to do there mate except shop.

I went there once before, I drove from the South and stopped off at your McDonalds, by some sort of shopping estate?
    briggi wrote:
    Are you over there on a work-related thing? My cousins live in Lisburn and it's pretty nice these days... well, it's all relative.

Yeah I went to Lisburn before, bought a CD/MP3 player for my car from Halfords there :D

Yes it's kind-of work related and I've been before but in peaceful times. I still decided up 'up' my Welsh accent a bit just in case :D
  • Options

It is quite similar to the advice you appear to have been espousing here recently, Morrocan Roll.

Namely, that you are more likely to do well by adapting your behaviour to the 10 commandment et al modality than listening to,worshipping or following the directions of snake oil puppets such as Gordy, Barack and company who claim to have your best interests at heart.

Those supposed knights in shining armour may well turn out to be the horsemen of the apocalypse, the first of which was deception.