Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Peter Mandelson gets green custard thrown in the face

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7927668.stm

:D:D

A few thoughts though: security was absolutely piss-poor (is Brown sending a message to more violent attackers that Mandelson is an easy target?). And she's able to walk away as well!

Also, hasn't she broken some law or other? I see that not only she has not been arrested, but she's already giving TV interviews to the news channels.

Is it quite legal to throw food products into the face of politicians then?

*goes off to buy plenty of pies*
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think she has a very valid point though, if you watch her interview...
  • Options
    "when democracy is failing you have to resort to any means neccessary" :lol: he shoulda have given her a good slap
  • Options
    I am not a fan of Peter's at all - but I think if you are prepared to protest, you take the risk of having to pay for the drycleaning. :)
  • Options
    Bloody hell, from the way the media have been reporting this today, you'd think that the Houses of Parliament had been blown to smithereenes, killing hundreds of MPs inside it. I saw the BBC's report on the 1pm news today about it. Thinking the Beeb had lost the plot, I turned over to ITV's Lunchtime news, only to see an even more deranged and hysterical report. The difference being they had an interview with Leila Deen, the woman who threw the custard - and a completely smug bitch who needs a red hot poker shoved up her arse at that. After seeing her self-serving interview, I'm not half-tempted to drop my opposition to the new Heathrow runway.

With apologies in advance to Michael Winner, "calm down dear, it's just some green custard". Besides, our Immigration Minister, the very sinister Phil "Cream Pie" Woolas got hit recently - yet I don't recall the Beeb screaming from the rooftops about MPs security needing to be tighter. The only thing today's story proves is that the green hippies seem to have a rather unhealthy fetish for custard.

Perhaps all those people who are against the new Heathrow runway can be bought off if they are given shares in Ambrosia?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Never mind pies, I wouldn't mind seeing a size 12 steel-toe capped boot thrown in Gordon Brown's direction.
  • Options
    Given he's ex-Northern Ireland Secretary saying security was piss-poor is understatement of the year
  • Options
    Given he's ex-Northern Ireland Secretary saying security was piss-poor is understatement of the year
    Innit. Perhaps it's just that he's so dull that no faction or group would see him as a target. Still, it's quite remarkable how easy it was to walk up to him holding a box in full view of everyone.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Shame it wasn't toxic green stuff if you ask me.
  • Options
    Good on her. :)

If the politicians won't listen, people have to go to those means.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Good on her. :)

Perhaps they are listening - just not to her....
  • Options
    If you see a lorry full of green custard heading in your direction the next few days, you'll know it's me. :p
  • Options
    Perhaps they are listening - just not to her....
    Yeah they are listening...

To big businesses.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah they are listening...

To big businesses.

:rolleyes:

Obviously not to the road haulage industry and railway companies or come to that shipping.

They're not listening to Plane Stupid, perhaps they would if they could come up with economic arguments as strong as the aviation industry instead of silly stunts and petulant whines.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7927668.stm

:D:D

A few thoughts though: security was absolutely piss-poor (is Brown sending a message to more violent attackers that Mandelson is an easy target?). And she's able to walk away as well!

Also, hasn't she broken some law or other? I see that not only she has not been arrested, but she's already giving TV interviews to the news channels.

*goes off to buy plenty of pies*

I take it you don't agree with:
    public figures had a right to go about their business without being attacked.

then?
  • Options
    i recon he should have smacked her right in the face, silly cow. No wonder people take the piss out of her sort.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I take it you don't agree with:

then?
    My comment was rather tongue in cheek. Having said that, one or two politicians probably deserve a creamy pie in the face.
  • Options
    My comment was rather tongue in cheek. Having said that, one or two politicians probably deserve a creamy pie in the face.
    Given some of the things that our politicians have got up to over the years, they've had more than cream pies in their faces. :p
  • Options

It was more a comment to explore the idea of whether it's fair to throw pies and custard in people's faces if they're public figures. Consider that if you were on your way to work and someone did that to you for some perceived slight you would be outraged. The proper way to show your disatisfaction with members of parliament is to write letters, peaceful protests and if it comes to it, vote them out of office.

Obviously this was a one off, but there is a reason MPs should be safe to conduct their affairs without protestors thinking they're doing the country a service and throwing custard or something on people. I mean if we had a MP trying to push through reforms to ban guns and loads of right wing gun people go and rather than just protest go and hit him or throw something at him or something like that, would you not agree that it's allowing intimidation to become part of our political process? That MPs can't do the policies they believe are right for fear of people throwing custard on them or worse.

I think anyone MP or office worker or labourer should be free to go to work and do a day's work without people chucking stuff at them.
  • Options
    ...would you not agree that it's allowing intimidation to become part of our political process? That MPs can't do the policies they believe are right for fear of people throwing custard on them or worse.
    I suspect that people who live under regimes where they could be killed for protesting against the government won't agree with your definition of "intimidation" on this one.
  • Options
    Well, naturally they have the right not to have stuff thrown at them like that. Everybody does.

I guess as public figures, and as politicians in particular, their reaction and any action taken against the perpetrator are going to be scrutinised, and as such most of them just put up with it. Then again some don't, as John Prescott demonstrated a few years ago.

I'm unsure as to what offence such acts might constitute... common assault perhaps?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I suspect that people who live under regimes where they could be killed for protesting against the government won't agree with your definition of "intimidation" on this one.

My point is that there is a line, and this is crossing that line. I'm not necessarily saying the protestor should be arrested because that would be daft really. But I don't think we should condone her actions because really she is stepping in and saying she believes our democratic system doesn't work and she'd rather resort to bullying by throwing stuff at the representatives of the people in order to get them to do things her way.

Of course it's a far cry from places where you will be hacked up if you vote the wrong way but that's not to say we can't make the distinction in this country between what is acceptable (protest, lobbying, etc.) and unacceptable. After all for every cause I agree with and would go 'yea take that politicians' if someone went and slapped Gordon Brown with a fish because they disagreed with the idea of ID cards, there is another nutter out there who would slap him with a fish because they want him to bring back slavery.

I think it's important to just rise above all the individual issues and just draw a line where our system of governance must rely on the fact that our MPs are free from intimidation and bribery and anything contradicting that mustn't be condoned as it undermines our whole system - it's bigger than any single issue. Although I think there are lines the government could cross that would give people the right as human beings to force a change of governance but that's just to clarify my position, we are nowhere near that.
  • Options
    My point is that there is a line, and this is crossing that line. I'm not necessarily saying the protestor should be arrested because that would be daft really... she'd rather resort to bullying by throwing stuff at the representatives of the people in order to get them to do things her way.
    I'm very surprised she wasn't arrested in the first place. The custard was thrown at the minister on Friday morning, yet she wasn't arrested until Sunday afternoon by the police. Oh well, thanks to this attention seeking harridan, ministers are now about to become even more inaccessible and remote than they already are.

You might wish to know that Leila Deen has written about this over at Dolly Draper's LabourList website. So far, not a single person who has left a comment there supports her action. Perhaps unsurprising on a Labour-supporting website, of course. Apparently, it was okay to gunge him on the grounds that "this is an intensely feminine struggle, against the destruction of our eco-system, a problem created by patriachy".

Does anyone have the faintest idea what the fuck she's on about?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Apparently, it was okay to gunge him on the grounds that "this is an intensely feminine struggle, against the destruction of our eco-system, a problem created by patriachy".

haha
  • Options
    I can't stand Mandelson, but he didn't deserve that! I don't think anyone would appreciate that treatment on the way to work. I don't know what she threw, but like they said on the news, it could have been anything, even acid.
  • Options
    Anyone who's listened to this Leila Deen character for more than a minute knows she's a dick. Even watching the 30 second clip on the BBC when it first happened, showed her up to be a plank; her half-arsed, stumbed bleating after hitting Mandelson, was laughable. She should be charged with common assault (or whatever the charge would be) and told to grow up, if only 'cause she's a fucking dick.