Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

calming down/relaxing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you think is the best way to calm yourself down when you're worried or feeling anxous about something? i know that im probably just getting myself into a state but i feel so horrible, iv been sick and my stomach and throat are like, contracting i dont know its weird. my throat feels tight and i feel like i cant breathe in properly. iv tried taking deep breaths but i think its making it worse because i feel like i cant take enough air in. arghh :/

Comments

• Options
    I always find that doing exercise helps me to relax. Going for a brisk walk also helps to take your mind off whatever it is that is making you feel worried.

Alternatively putting on some upbeat music and relaxing in bed allows your breathing to fall back to a natural rhythmn without you consciously telling yourself to breathe regularly.
  • Options
    arnica, herbal tea, some deep breathes, maybe so lavender oil, and if i really need to a quick scream or cry and then another deep breath and back to business
  • Options
    I usually find controled breathing does the trick.
  • Options
    is it just an occasional thing, or is this something thats happening a lot?
  • Options
    Your favourite music. Music is a great healer :)
  • Options
    its just occasional but i always feel like that when im really worried, not to the extent where iv been sick though, thats never happened before.

basically its just because i have to do two things im terrified of, one was the dentist which i did today so thats over with and the other one is flying. im going on a 30 hour flight on thursday :/

thanks for the suggestions the music thing definitely worked, especially with the breathing. also another thing i found worked was i got a bit piece of paper and made a huge list of everything i was thinking about and all the things i needed to sort out so that it'd sort of, leave my head. ahh.