Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if I've put this is the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it.

We got a cat yesterday from Cats Protection and everything has been fine and she seems the have settled in well. The only thing is is we haven't really seen her drink much, she has had a bit of food but not much water and also she hasn't used her litter tray at all.

Now she was neutered on Wednesday and were wondering if she was still a bit funny after the anasthetic and thats why she isn't eating and drinking much? We know that she couldn't have wee'd/pooed in a quiet corner anywhere as she was a lampshade collar thing on so she doesn't mess with her stitches and she can't get into any small places like under the bed, behind chairs etc.

Was just wondering if we should be getting a bit worried about this or if it's normal and maybe she is still settling and finding her feet :confused:

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Only one of our cats regularly drinks water. Suzy will have some on a whim, Charlie never drinks it. When we mentioned it to the vet she wasn't worried. As long as he is eating wet food as well as biscuits then he is getting as much water as he needs. If he started to develop other symptoms then we were to take him back, but he is fine.

With regards to the litter tray, I would be starting to get worried. However, if she hasn't had any food or water then she may not be needing to use it. She could still be finding her feet / recovering from the anesthetic. If she has made no progress by tomorrow morning, I'd probably phone the vet.
  • Options

She is eating a mixture of wet and dry food, but as she will be a house cat we were advised to just give her dry food..I'm not sure why though. But I think we will give her canned food a few times a week, for a bit of variety.

I will try the vets if she still hasn't used it.
  • Options
    I'd probably contact them if the cat doesn't use the tray today. It's not right for it to go without toilet for days.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »

She is eating a mixture of wet and dry food, but as she will be a house cat we were advised to just give her dry food..I'm not sure why though. But I think we will give her canned food a few times a week, for a bit of variety.

I will try the vets if she still hasn't used it.

Ours are house cats and we give them wet food as well as dry. In the 3 years we've had them it's not done them any harm. They would tell us off if we didn't give them wet food. Missy decided it was time for her breakfast at 3.30am the other night. I was not impressed :|

Yeah, give the vet a call if she hasn't gone to the toilet. Better to be safe.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I'd probably contact them if the cat doesn't use the tray today. It's not right for it to go without toilet for days.

Well we need to register her with a vet first, unless we just phone one and they will give us some advice :chin:

We only got her home at about 2 yesterday afternoon so she could have used the one that was in her cage at the centre but just not used it here. We've left it where she can find it for now so she doesn't have to go searching for it and had a look around the house and definatly not seen any suspicious puddles!
  • Options
    Well we need to register her with a vet first, unless we just phone one and they will give us some advice :chin:

It doesn't take 2 minutes to register her with a vet. We took ours for their boosters and registered them at the same time. All they need are things like address, name etc. Nothing major. I'm sure they would still give you advice over the phone.

Failing that, get in touch with the CPL and see what vet did the surgery. They must have some sort of duty of care for the poor pussycat as there could've been a problem with the stitches or an infection could've developed etc.
  • Options
    Now young lady!! Where on earth are the pics?!
  • Options
    We are going to do it tomorrow, it's only 5 minutes down the road so hopfully it will all be sorted tomorrow :yes:

She seems fine in herself though, her wound looks clean and dry and not red and shes not been messing with it or scratching it.

I just don't like the thought of their being something wrong and she can't let us know :(

I'm not used to cats I've always had dogs, so it's all new to me.
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Now young lady!! Where on earth are the pics?!

I will post some tomorrow hopefully :)
  • Options
    I will post some tomorrow hopefully :)
    Looking forward to it ;):D