Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a new member of the forum, i made several attempts on my life last year (all at the same time) and have now started to self harm and am looking for any advice anyone can offer me as my doctor just keeps giving me anti-depressants

Comments

• Options
    Hiya, firstly welcome to TheSite.org!

There is loads of info here at www.thesite.org/selfharm that you might want to check out.

Right your GP should be offering you talking therapy alongside or instead of medication. How old are you? Because according to NICE guidelines (basically rules that determine how you should be treated) they pretty much say that for young people, anti-depressants should be a last-resort, or at the very least accompanied by some sort of counselling or other therapy. But it does as always depend on your personal situation. At your next appointment could you ask about it? Or if that doesn't work maybe think about switching doctors.

In the mean time, have you got someone who is supporting you through all this? Do you have any friends / family who know about your self-harm who you could talk with about the reasons why you feel like you need to hurt yourself? If self-harm is your way to cope with your emotions right now, check out this list of distractions and see if when things get tough you can work through your feelings. http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/copingtipsanddistractions

All the best with things, take care
  • Options
    Totally agree with purplestarfish, really good advice :thumb: