Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

gaining weight by going to the gym - wtf am i doing wrong

im not eating loads. couple of slices toast or cereal for breakfast, maybe small sandwich for lunch or calorific equivalent, apple or dried apricots as snacks and dinner is generally under 500 cals. Ive been going to the gym most evenings for around 45 mins and working hard. I was feeling motivated as i had gone down from 9st 10 when i started at the beginning of feb, to 9st 7oz - My goal is 9st (im 5ft 6).
Today I weigh 9st 10 again.
Am i destined to be fucking 9st 10 forever? I had plateaued at this weight for ages even when dieting. I feel sick about it. The gym has been doing me good even if i am not losing the weight because i dont get nearly as many ED urges when I exercise but i am feeling quite tense about this. Why does nothing work for me?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you gaining weight or muscle mass?
    Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Options
    im not eating loads. couple of slices toast or cereal for breakfast, maybe small sandwich for lunch or calorific equivalent, apple or dried apricots as snacks and dinner is generally under 500 cals. Ive been going to the gym most evenings for around 45 mins and working hard. I was feeling motivated as i had gone down from 9st 10 when i started at the beginning of feb, to 9st 7oz - My goal is 9st (im 5ft 6).
    Today I weigh 9st 10 again.
    Am i destined to be fucking 9st 10 forever? I had plateaued at this weight for ages even when dieting. I feel sick about it. The gym has been doing me good even if i am not losing the weight because i dont get nearly as many ED urges when I exercise but i am feeling quite tense about this. Why does nothing work for me?

Instead of focusing on the numbers, have you thought about focusing on inches? Are you noticing a difference in your thighs, stomach, arms etc etc? Perhaps you should start measuring, as I believe 'weight' can be a little misleading.
  • Options
    ive heard that, but i really dont think i would gain several lb of muscle in a few weeks
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Instead of focusing on the numbers, have you thought about focusing on inches? Are you noticing a difference in your thighs, stomach, arms etc etc? Perhaps you should start measuring, as I believe 'weight' can be a little misleading.

i think my hips are looking a little less wobbley but i havent measured myself.

I *know* its just numbers really, but ive got this goal in my head and i just dont seem to be able to get there. My goal is already a stone heavier than i was when i got pregnant with felix because i dont want to be unrealistic. I wish It didnt make me feel so shit.
  • Options
    Honestly, try shifting your goal from numbers if you can - it will do you the world of good.

If you suddenly find you're a dress size smaller, and yet weigh the same, that can't be a bad thing.

Your weight can vary massively from water retention/food intake/whether you've been to the toilet etc, even by a few lbs from day to day.
  • Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat so you may, of course, get slimmer without necessarily getting lighter. It may be more useful, therefore, to monitor your BMI rather than your weight itself.
  • Options
    Mylo_B wrote: »
    Are you gaining weight or muscle mass?
    Muscle weighs more than fat.
    Not meaning to be pedantic but it weighs the same it's just that muscle is smaller than fat.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Not meaning to be pedantic but it weighs the same it's just that muscle is smaller than fat.

I am not an expert but I would disagree. The density of tissue in muscle is far greater than in fat, hence why it weighs more i.e. a square inch of muscle would weigh more than a square inch of fat.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

isnt that what weighing less means?
  • Options
    thankyou everyone for your replies. I am not disheartened. My bf has told me i am looking more toned already, so i guess thats something
  • Options
    Muscle is heavier by volume than fat. Take 5lbs of fat and 5lbs of muscle, it still weighs the same ;)
  • Options
    SCC: don't underestimate your menstrual cycle either, or salt - if I've had a salty meal the night previously, I can wake up 2-4lbs heavier the next morning.

Lots of people gain weight initially when they start working out, often it's eating more to compensate for the increased activity.

I'd recommend something like http://skwigg.com/ Skwigg's blog - she used to have an ED and some of her articles make for really good reading, especially her stuff about scales.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Muscle is heavier by volume than fat. Take 5lbs of fat and 5lbs of muscle, it still weighs the same ;)

Ta-da!
  • Options
    That's what I meant.
  • Options
    SCC: don't underestimate your menstrual cycle either

I go up and down around 1/2 a stone during the course of a month so it could be that - plus you only looking at 3 ounces its not a significant difference it coudl be lots of things.
  • Options
    SCC: don't underestimate your menstrual cycle either, or salt - if I've had a salty meal the night previously, I can wake up 2-4lbs heavier the next morning.

Lots of people gain weight initially when they start working out, often it's eating more to compensate for the increased activity.

I'd recommend something like http://skwigg.com/ Skwigg's blog - she used to have an ED and some of her articles make for really good reading, especially her stuff about scales.

I might be premenstrual actually. Im not due on but i dont know when i am atm, seem to have a 3week cycle lately. I also had a lamb burger with some morrocan couscous out of a packet last night so that might have been a bit salty.

Im not eating more to compensate, im pretty sure of it
  • Options
    will will NOT loose weight on 500 cals a day thats daft. Yeah you might loose a bit but after a while you'll put weight on because you eat less than 500cals. Even when doing exercise you got to eat more

I'm 13 stone and 5ft 4 i eat 1500 cals a day and i'm looseing weight along with exercise.

I don't know if were alound to put other websites on here if not then i'm sorry. But this website give loads of advice and info its how i lost 3 stone
    the wedsites called caloriecount.com
    Its agood website. i hope you find help soon good luck
  • Options
    custard wrote: »
    will will NOT loose weight on 500 cals a day thats daft. Yeah you might loose a bit but after a while you'll put weight on because you eat less than 500cals. Even when doing exercise you got to eat more

I'm 13 stone and 5ft 4 i eat 1500 cals a day and i'm looseing weight along with exercise.

I don't know if were alound to put other websites on here if not then i'm sorry. But this website give loads of advice and info its how i lost 3 stone
    the wedsites called caloriecount.com
    Its agood website. i hope you find help soon good luck

No - her DINNER is around 500kcal.
  • Options
    : oh right soz my head isn't workin propper. per meal then thts fine but still visist that website. :banghead: :):) :crying: :heart: :hyper: :love: :shocking: :chin: sorry im bored!!
  • Options
    oh hun :( chin up :heart:

as everyone is saying, muscle weighs more than fat. a few summers back, i was cycling 16 miles per day. my weight didn't change AT ALL yet when i went back to university, everybody commented on how much i'd slimmed down!

also, my weight fluctuates all the time. when im due on i put on up to 5lbs! im 2 or 3 lbs heavier at night than i am in the morning plus im heavier/lighter based on errrr how many toilet trips i take.

i use a tape measure to measure my weight loss. maybe you should do the same. you'd be surprised :yes:
  • Options
    First thing that jumped to my mind was water retension due to time of the month.

My mum fluctuates greatly in weight depending what time of month and can gain or loose up to 5 pounds over night.

Increase your water intake because this helps to drain out all the excess fluid in your cells, and will help to get rid of any weight gained from fluid retension. :yes:
  • Options
    Ok. I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet or not but...
    Focusing on exact weight while dieting and exercising is not how you should measure your progress; especially in the beginning. What you should do is find out your body fat percentage (BMI); via electronic means, the manual ones can be faulty. Then you should adjust your goals based on this number. For example I'm about a 14 BMI at 183 lbs (I'm American... please excuse my lack of metric capabilities). For every 2-3 lbs I lose i will drop a point on my BMI. 10 and under is the average range for males to have a 6-pack abdominal. So for me to get abs I need to lose 8-12 lbs.

Also another trick to dropping weight fast and slimming down is to eat 5-6 smaller portion meals a day. Like one 300 calorie meal every 4 hours or so...

A workout trick that will help is called circuit training. It really works if you mix cardio and weight resistance into the same workout. Research how to do it properly and try and formulate a set routine that will work for you.

Hope this helped.
  • Options
    When I first started my weightloss, I stayed the same on the scales for about 4 weeks. This was when I first started using the cross trainer and lifting weights, so I could only assume it was the building of muscle that was causing the weight to stay the same. Physically, I was looking thinner and fitter already.

I think it's just about making sure you don't get too into a 'routine' - your body becomes resistant to a routine if you carry on for too long. So always remember to change it around a bit from one week to the next.

Thumbs up for not being disheartend, it's tough to see the scales stay the same even when you're working your ass off. But honestly, you will see a change - just give it a bit longer.