Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mumps?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
For the past couple of days now I've had a pain in the side of my neck and a lump forming under my jaw which is very painful to touch.
I have a Drs appointment for it tomorrow but I'm worried it might be mumps because Ive heard it can easily cause infertility in men.

Comments

• Options
    Mumps COULD cause infertility but, then again, crossing a busy road COULD kill you. It just depends how unlucky you are.
  • Options
    Plus it might not even be mumps!
  • Options
    I'm hoping not.
    Mumps is a form of the meningitis virus which does actually run in my family.

Im wondering if its all the stress im under at the minute making me ill.
  • Options
    It could be the stress.
  • Options
    You've got glands under your jaw that have a tendancy to swell up when you're ill with almost anything so fine to go to the doctor but don't worry yourself too much.

The meningitis virus does'nt run in families, so you're alright there.

I'm assuming you've been vaccinated against mumps in which case even if you have it your very very unlikely to get the nasty complications.
  • Options
    Good luck for your doctors appointment - hopefully it's just swollen glands due to being run down rather than something nasty like mumps.

Mumps can cause infertility problems in males iirc but as scary monsters says you may have been vaccinated against mumps which would greatly reduce the risk of you getting mumps and/or the complications.
  • Options
    eeek, hope its not mumps.

i came down with that in the first year of uni. not nice :no:

it only lasts 1-2 weeks if that makes you feel any better though.
  • Options
    There have been quite a few outbreaks in universities in recent years, I suspect this will only get worse due to people not giving their kids the MMR.
  • Options
    Although to be fair, a lot of the uni outbreaks have been related to the age bracket who were slightly 'missed' by the vaccination programme.
  • Options
    i dont think it really matters if you have the mmr or not.

i had the vaccination when i was young then again at 18/19 yet i got it.
  • Options
    vaccination don't always stop you getting the illness, they just prevent it killing you...

I've had everything apart from my BCG (i'm too old now and was missed out first time), and i got whooping cough really badly when i was 9
  • Options
    The vaccination doesn't stop everyone getting infected, but it does stop most people getting infected, and if you're one of the people who isn't immune, the more people who ARE immune, the less likely you are to get it. That's how vaccination works. It doesn't work on the basis of everyone being 100% immune 100% of the time. And like Scary said, there's a generation of people who were too young to routinely catch mumps and develop natural immunity, the way most people my age and older did, but too old to get the MMR when it was introduced in the late 80s, so they have no protection at all.

In any case, even if it is mumps, infertility is still a relatively rare complication, so I wouldn't worry too much.