Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Strange throat-clearing problem

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
It started about 3 years ago (2006 IIRC). I don't remember how it started exactly, but I kept feeling like something was stuck in my throat so I kept making that "cough" sound to clear it, only it would never clear.
I went to a doctor about it, and after some tests he said that it was probably some kind of allergy combined with stress (which I had more than I do now) and also possibly that by doing it so much I've made my throat sore so it bothers me. He gave me some pills. It lessened but didn't stop, I told the doctor again and he put me on a second course.

Again it didn't stop, but this time I did nothing and just let it. Since then it's been lessening and getting worse, meaning that sometimes I don't do it at all for hours while other times I do it a lot.
Last October I started work somewhere, and this is the first time since then that I'm stuck in one room for hours every day with someone else. Now my coworker has started doing the same thing, and he says it began when he met me. And now, the other day he said that his sister (whom he lives with) has started doing the same as well.

Now I'm getting a bit worried -surely if it was something contagious it would have done something more to me in 3 years than bother my throat, right? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I very much doubt it's contagious. Perhaps it caught on psychologically - people often copy each other subconsciously. I've also had exactly the same problem for a few years. Considered asking a doctor but I didn't know what could be causing it. Sometimes it's quite uncomfortable as it leads to me swallowing a lot of air.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it sounds like nodules to me- normally something singers get. they're little non contagious cysts that people sometimes get on their vocal chords...

just words of warning, don't smoke, sing or drink spirits because it normally makes them larger.

it shouldn't be a problem really, but if you were a singer i suggest getting them lazered off....
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't sing, except sometimes quietly when I'm alone. heh
    No smoking or alcohol either, except passively sometimes (the former).