Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Permanent/Semi Permanent hair colour - which one?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am dying my hair blonde, I am gonna get a boots own one cos the colour is lovely!

But which one do I go for? Semi Premanent or Premanent?:confused:

Does one wash out and one grows out so youve got 'roots'?

Comments

• Options
    Semi-perm washes out after about 28 washes. You will still have a hint of colour after that I think but I've never tried semi-perm so I don't know. Permanent just grows out but it DOES fade (red is worst). If your hair is pretty dark you will need a pre-lightener to get the blonde on the packet.

I would go for the semi first in case you don't like it then top it up with the perm.
  • Options
    Unless your hair is blonde alreasy then semi permanent blonde won't work, so definately permanent! What colour is your hair at the minute? Because that will effect the outcome and final colour anyway :)
  • Options
    Whats a pre lighter?!

My hair is brown at the mo, its got no other colour in it.

Im useless at this stuff!:blush:
  • Options
    Pre-lightener is basically bleach. It's right next to the hair dye usually.
  • Options
    How brown are you?

If you're really dark brown then you will need to 'pre-lighten' your hair which comes in a wee kit which lightens your hair as it has bleach in it, then you can apply a blonde colour to it as it'll show up a nicer blonde since your brown will be lightened up a shedload by the 'pre lightener'. (Hope that makes sense!)

HOWEVER! Doing a home blonde job isn't something I'd recommend espesh on a first attempt. I'd get some warm highlights (by the professionals ONLY) in to warm your brunette barnet then if you want to go lighter you can next time until the whole head is a blonde suited to your colouring.
  • Options
    If you're dyeing your hair blonde, from brown, it's going to be PERMANENT no matter what you choose. It will have to be bleached, and bleaching is permanent.

I surprised it's possible to not know this tbph.
  • Options
    Well permanent in kind of misleading since no matter what your hair will grow out and it will be your normal hair color when it does so.

I really want blue hair. I am obsessed with blue hair :-) hehe
  • Options
    nerys71 wrote: »
    Well permanent in kind of misleading since no matter what your hair will grow out and it will be your normal hair color when it does so.

I'd have to question their sanity if anybody actually thought that :p

Red/pink is the real misleader. That shit washes out so quick no matter what kind you use. :grump:
  • Options
    i would suggest go to the not permanet dye for now.
  • Options
    You'll have let us know too im a auburn colour i gone red i had blonde foils through mine +god it faded loads 2week ago +it wasnt bright red or anything she doing again next week for free use a shampoo meant for blonde hair too john frieda good i use aussie colour shampoo/conditoner
  • Options
    I used boots semi-perm blonde last week and it did very little.
This discussion has been closed.