Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

private secret police spying on us it seems now

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1138755/Secret-police-unit-set-spy-British-domestic-extremists.html?ITO=1490

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/manchester/2009/02/421679.html
Yes, this is the news, first leaked by the Mail on Sunday, that bored plod at the Association of Chief Police Officers have started up a new super secret group to investigate any groups which have anything nasty to say about capital and the state. ACPO is the private company that masterminds the nutkins at NECTU, last seen leaking reports to the Observer that pretended environmentalists were dangerous terrorists.

if none of you are aware the ACPO (http://www.acpo.police.uk/about.html) are a private organisation.... who have a good record of blatant lying

very iffy stuff :no:

Comments

• Options
    Old Holborn's blog puts all of this far better than I ever could. Read it.

All I have to do now is wait for some Labour Party apparatnik to talk at me about how I'm wrong to believe that the UK is one of the most spied upon nation on the planet. I can hardly wait!
  • Options
    I can imagine some uses, but I don't understand why the monitoring of Domestic extremist groups can't be done by SOCA or by current existing counter-terrorism units which is the mandate for both organisations.
  • Options
    This is rather disturbing.

Security issues should never be handled by private companies. Ever.

Especially since the government's definition of "extremist" is rather different to that the rest of us hold. Always has been, as many MPs themselves who used to be spied on by their own secret services can testify.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    This is rather disturbing.

Security issues should never be handled by private companies. Ever.

Especially since the government's definition of "extremist" is rather different to that the rest of us hold. Always has been, as many MPs themselves who used to be spied on by their own secret services can testify.

using the MET headquarters

now only to invoke the freemasons somewhere :lol: {light humour for a disturbing thread}
  • Options
    SSRUC :crazyeyes
  • Options
    now only to invoke the freemasons somewhere :lol: {light humour for a disturbing thread}

Is there no help for the widow's son ?
  • Options
    I think we should just clarify something. ACPO (Assosciation of Chief Police Officers) isn't a private company. They along with the home office make policy that tells the rest of us what our jobs are e.t.c.

Never trust stories from Indymedia or the DailyMail. They are both self-rightous, often full of crap and written by opinionated amateurs.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I think we should just clarify something. ACPO (Assosciation of Chief Police Officers) isn't a private company. They along with the home office make policy that tells the rest of us what our jobs are e.t.c.

Never trust stories from Indymedia or the DailyMail. They are both self-rightous, often full of crap and written by opinionated amateurs.
    If you read the link i provided, you'll see they say themselves they're a private organisation who are incorporated...

This strangely leaves them independent of the police and any form of external scrutiny normally reserved for public bodies...
    They also are the body who have pushed for more draconion laws whether you agree or not with them
  • Options
    If you read the link i provided, you'll see they say themselves they're a private organisation who are incorporated...

This strangely leaves them independent of the police and any form of external scrutiny normally reserved for public bodies...
    They also are the body who have pushed for more draconion laws whether you agree or not with them

Police forces are corporations.
  • Options
    Police forces are corporations.

link?
  • Options
    Check out The Municipal Corporations Act of 1835,(following on from The Metropolitan Police Act of 1829) .
  • Options

The organisation may be private, but all the members are cops, who individually are accountable.
  • Options
    It's a not profit making body. It's set up as a private company to keep it independent of Ministerial intervention.

the way people are wittering you'd think it was FTSE250
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The organisation may be private, but all the members are cops, who individually are accountable.

immune to FOI requests and outside of parliamentary and judicial oversight.... that's why

surely this is the job of MI5 anyway
  • Options
    immune to FOI requests and outside of parliamentary and judicial oversight.... that's why

Giving it independence from Ministerial intervention (which i suspect is why they're doing it.
    surely this is the job of MI5 anyway

Different question, and one I'd agree with (though probably more Special Branch)
  • Options
    Giving it independence from Ministerial intervention (which i suspect is why they're doing it.

not to quote a film but who watches the watchmen....

Different question, and one I'd agree with (though probably more Special Branch)

domestic terroism is mi5 and speciasl branch was more organised crime/drugs/theives i swear
  • Options
    the way people are wittering you'd think it was FTSE250

My guess is that you are well aware that FTSE250 is but a very minor part of the corporate world.

Evidence suggests to me that the limited liability aspect of incorporation is the most useful (and, dare I say, criminal).
  • Options
    not to quote a film but who watches the watchmen....

Well in this case Companies House. Bear in mind all this new group actually does is pass information (though why SB can't do that themselves I can't answer). It can't conduct arrests or interrogations or plant bugs; its basically admin.

domestic terroism is mi5 and speciasl branch was more organised crime/drugs/theives i swear

Special Branch is 'political', they work closely with MI5, but five has no powers of arrest for example, so would sue SB. However as a rough division of labour generally MI5 would deal more with strategic assets, SB would deal with the minor nuisances

ETA to expand
  • Options

Special Branch was originally formed in the late 19th century to "deal with" Irish Nationalists. Today they would be labelled terrorists.
  • Options
    the minor nuisances

That sounds like MI5/Special Branch language.
  • Options
    Special Branch was originally formed in the late 19th century to "deal with" Irish Nationalists. Today they would be labelled terrorists.

They were labelled terrorists then...
  • Options
    That sounds like MI5/Special Branch language.

Yes, we all use English...
  • Options
    Yes, we all use English...

In the way that Orwellian Doublespeak is English.

There are derivatives in many fields. Legalese in the legal world is a language of its own, and I am sure you are aware of military language such as "collateral damage" and "friendly fire". Currently topical the politicians are using such gems as "quantitative easing"and "monetizing the debt”.

But I digress. While we are discussing linguistic obsfucation, there are fewer watching the watchers . . .
    They were labelled terrorists then...

Perhaps they were (and maybe deservedly so) but the definition is more of the linguistic fog from above.

It is worth bearing in mind that if you do decide to watch the watchers, you too could be deemed a terrorist under the new Counter Terrorism Act 2008.
  • Options
    It's a not profit making body. It's set up as a private company to keep it independent of Ministerial intervention.

Yes but this also keeps it out of reach of the Freedom of Information act as well I believe...

My concern is that if they are extending their remit to include non-violent protest and direct action groups, this is undermining a core part of British democracy, as many of the rights and freedoms we enjoy have been won and defended by the citizenry in this fashion.