Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cant convice my best friend that we should be more than just freinds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi this is my first thread n i need sum advice cause i am inexperienced in relationships (as in i've never had one because ive been waiting for the right person.)

I'm 16 and i've known my best mate for about 3 years now. and for at least half of that time i've really wanted a relationship with her. recently i've had the courage to ask her out but she has said no and that shed rather us stay freinds but i don't think she realises just how much she means to me. I now don't know what to do as i respect her saying no but she hasn't realised how much I like her and i dont want 2 lose her as i have lost her before and she was treated badly by a complete (insert swear word here)!

any advice would be appreciated immensly!!

Comments

• Options
    any advice would be really appreciated.:thumb:
  • Options
    welshyboy wrote: »
    but i don't think she realises just how much she means to me.

maybe she does. But that doesn't makes her want you more. You can't force feelings. Even if someone absolutely devoted to you and is sincerely convinced that you are the greatest human being in the world, doesn't automatically makes you want this person.

Be glad that she gave you a fair and square answer. As opposed to be funny ever after, or to give you some kind of maybe-answer even if she's absolute, that she never wants anything happen between you both.

No means no. Be her a good friend, don't be clingy, but make yourself a bit rare, any maybe try it again in a year. That's life and we all had those experiences. A teenage mind, that is convinced that the laws of physics are broken, because you can't be with that girl, but that's how it is. Get over it.
  • Options
    Hey welshyboy :wave:

Sorry to hear about the situation with your best friend, unrequited love is not a nice feeling to experience.

It sounds like you've been friends for a long time; even though you've fallen for her, she may not want to jeapordise your friendship unless she feels the same way.

Unfortunatly, no matter how much you like someone, if they don't feel the same way there's not much you can do but respect their decision and try to get over it. Give it time though and continue to be a good friend to her, you never know what may develop but at the same time it's hard to constantly hold out hope. If you've made your feelings clear then the ball is really in her court. If your friendship is strong there's no reason why you should lose her over this, you might just need a little space for a while to get past it.

Good luck with it, I hope things works out for you :)
  • Options
    thanks, thats very true. I should be glad shes such a good friend to me and that we have stayed such good friends for so long