Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Skin Biopsy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever had one of these? Only I went to see my GUM Dr today and they have no idea what is going on other than the skin near my urethra and especially my clitoris is red and painful despite various creams and whatnots. She is referring me to a 'skin doctor' (I assume she means a dermatologist?) and that they will probably do a biopsy.

I understand the general gist of what it is, but does it hurt? It sounds like it ought to!

Ta,

x

Comments

• Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    It's not easy to say what they will do, but I am guessing it will be more like a 'swab', which you've probably had before from your doctor when first looking into the problem.

If you aren't sure before you go, I'm sure they will explain it a bit more if you're worried.

You may find some more information about this in our women's health section.

All the best,
    Pearly
  • Options
    If they do actually do a biopsy it will probably be a punch biopsy - imagine a tiny hole punch used to take a little sausage of tissue - I think they actually use a special sort of needle thing rather than a tiny hole punch :D I don't know if anaesthetic is used but it really is a miniscule amount. Probably about 5mm long and 1mm wide is that makes sense?

The tiny sausage of tissue will be sent off to the labs where they may look for infection or at the cell sof the tissue to try and work out what the problem is.
  • Options
    I'm sure they usually use some local anesthetic on the area that they're biopsying so you don't feel anything.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks everyone, that's made me feel a tad better! I just don't want any more pain!

x