Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brown: the "one-eyed Scottish idiot".

I'm one of those people who believes the BBC's dominance of the media is bad for the country. There has already been one instance this week of them completely over-reacting over one particular word - Carol Thatcher refused to say sorry in the Stalinist way that Pravda wanted her to, so they dropped her from the crap One Show. I first saw this one on a political blog a few days ago, and it's been picked up by the mainstream media since. It's about Jeremy Clarkson. What heinous thought crime has he committed, I wonder?

"Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has said he is sorry for calling Gordon Brown a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot'. He said: 'In the heat of the moment I made a remark about the Prime Minister's personal appearance for which, upon reflection, I apologise.' The broadcaster made the comments to journalists in Sydney when he was speaking about the economic crisis. The BBC said it noted Clarkson's apology for the comments and would be taking no further action."

Clarkson, you idiot! What the hell are you doing apologising for this? You should have stood by your remarks. They're pretty tame compared to how I'd describe our psychologically flawed PM. I've lost a lot of respect for Clarkson for doing this, I must say. Yet funny how it's only certain sources which are condemned. Guido Fawkes constantly refers to him as the "one eyed son of the manse", (particularly in his delightful blog entries where he talks about his view that Gordon jinxes everything he touches) yet I don't see the Royal National Institute for Blind People joining in the Left-wing circle jerk of faux pas outrage.

Time to privatise this smug institution once and for all, I think!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Clarkson, you idiot! What the hell are you doing apologising for this? You should have stood by your remarks.

I think he apologised for the words 'Scottish' and 'one eyed'. Calling Brown an 'idiot' stands perfectly acceptable and accurate on its own. There was no need to tar Scots and one-eyed people with the same brush.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones;
    but names will never harm me."

We used to be tough in this country; now we're becoming more limp-wristed than the Dutch. There seems to be a competition over who can be offended more...

Frankly we need to grow a bit more backbone

(with apologies to the Dutch, people with limp wrists and anyone suffering from Spina Bifida)
  • Options
    Gosh I cannot stand Jeremy Clarkson.

He just comes across like he's trying to be controversial all the time and as much as I respect his right to free speech, his constant attention seeking just irritates me.

:rolleyes:

He can make a point without trying to offend people.
  • Options
    As evidence for my last post look at some of the last threads started by Tweddledum and Tweedledee (with apologies to fat schoolboy twins)

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=132235

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=132950

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=132254
  • Options
    SC, given that you appear so incensed by the fact that a comedian was not fired by the BBC for making a rude and abusive phone call to an old man, I am perplexed by your indiference towards another man's regular abusive comments towards not just individuals but entire groups and even nationalities.

Perhaps there is a case for the sacking of all 3 groups of people who have recently found themselves in hot water (Ross & Brand, Thatcher and Clarkson). Perhaps we should allow them to say what they want. Or perhaps we should act according to the circumstances surrounding each case.

If that is the case, then surely Clarkson would be as deserving of a P45 as Ross and Brand. Yet you actually hold the former as some kind of hero.

:confused:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    A one eyed Scotish idiot.

Isn't he.

Political figures are fair game for me.

Clarkeson lives up to a character he's created, no different than any other 'controversial' comic. If ypu;ve seen any of the serious docs he does you'll soon realise he's far far xenophobic.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    To be fair, Brown is an idiot, and an unelected one at that.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    To be fair, Brown is an idiot, and an unelected one at that.

Not acording to the UK political system. Sure, if we were America, or France even, but we don't have a presidential vote. We have a parliamentary vote where we vote for a party, who choose their own government and leader ultimately.

Not saying it's the best system but just saying he's not 'unelected' as such, because by electing labour we say that they can form a government with whichver PM / cabinet they like. Maybe there is something to be said for a seperate presidential election?
  • Options
    surely if that is someone opinon why do they need to apologise? its not like it was offencive to a whole community just one guy who seems to want to fuck up Britain...i'm honestly starting to think that he's gonna withdraw from PMship with a breakdown soon...
  • Options
    To be fair to Brown I suspect he's trying to do his best, and he is better placed than anyone else in the country to receive criticism especially in times of hardship. Hell, people were complaining about him because it snowed. I guess if you have a career in politics you need to grow thick skin to abuse because everyone is going to hate you.

edit: just read the article. It's not about him being scottish, it's about him equating being partially sighted with being incompetent, it's a slur towards the blind, and when the RNIB asked him to come meet them he apologised unreservedly. Non-story imo.
  • Options
    surely if that is someone opinon why do they need to apologise? its not like it was offencive to a whole community just one guy who seems to want to fuck up Britain...i'm honestly starting to think that he's gonna withdraw from PMship with a breakdown soon...
    I think the word causing the most concern is 'Scottish'.

His nationality is irrelevant in this case, and as such its inclusion can only be deemed as derogatory and insulting. If Gordon Brown was black and Clarkson had referred to him as a 'one-eyed black idiot' it would have been seen by most as wholly unnaceptable, and rightly so. There should be no difference with gratitious references to people's nationalities either when they have no relevance to the issue at hand.
  • Options
    ok, but if he'd called him a one eyed-idiot, would that have been a problem?
  • Options
    Not particularly with me, though many might have found the equally superfluous and irrelevant reference to Brown's sight disability offensive and uncalled for.

Basically, Jeremy Clarkson is a cunt. Though I'm sure he has no problem whatsoever with people making that statement.
  • Options
    ok, but if he'd called him a one eyed-idiot, would that have been a problem?

Well I think from reading the article the principle objection was from the RNIB so I would guess that was what caused more 'concern' (offence being too strong a word). Whilst obviously it's going OTT and Flashman makes a point about how we 'used to be strong', I would argue that people were always sensitive in themselves but these days are growing empathetic of the feelings of those around them.

Example: someone says 'ugh, thats gay' (as I have done before, I'm sure I made a thread on it :p) and that was harmless enough. But you need to consider that other people have different perspectives, and it's likely they may be offended by such comments. Just like that golliwog comment this week, it was harmless to her and to many other people it was also harmless. But to a significant portion of the UK it's not harmless. Just like Shami Chakrabarti on question time this week said that when she was at college a friend said to her 'I'm nipping to the paki shop' which was a completely harmless comment to her friend, but to her the very word paki evokes so many emotions that it is upsetting.

I don't think it's just about having a 'stiff upper lip'. If someone was in a wheelchair you wouldn't joke about cripples. If someone had recently lost a child you wouldn't make dead baby jokes. If you are in a public position and say things publicly then you need to have some empathy. That doesn't mean dulling down everything and I don't believe that most of the censorship of the BBC is called for, but just giving a counter argument (possibly playing devil's advocate..) that it's not just PC gone maaaaaaaaddddd.
  • Options
    Why isnt there an organisation condeming Clarkson on behalf of outraged Scots?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

Or idiots ?

Is it only ophthalmic organisations that feel outrage ?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    To be fair to Brown I suspect he's trying to do his best,

Even fuckwit idiots try their best .... doesn't make 'em any less of an idiot. What Brown is 'trying to do his best' at, is to deflect any accusation that he is in no way partly responsible for the mess we're in. He is even more of an idiot if he thinks WE believe him.
  • Options

I think the Scottish are more than capable of doing it themselves
  • Options
    I get the feeling there's threads like this one posted every day here.

Faux outrage, zomg. Is there really nothing else going on in the UK?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Even fuckwit idiots try their best .... doesn't make 'em any less of an idiot. What Brown is 'trying to do his best' at, is to deflect any accusation that he is in no way partly responsible for the mess we're in. He is even more of an idiot if he thinks WE believe him.

Would you have done a better job? We had 10 years or so of boom in the economy, and everyone was singing his praises then. And then things take a turn for the worst and suddenly he is completely responsible, once again? Is there a single country in the world that hasn't been at all affected by the global crisis?

Ultimately it would have come whoever was in power. And because some journalists have nothing better to do, they just go on about how whoever is in government didn't do it right. I'm not saying Gordon Brown did the best job of it - the ins and outs are so complicated I don't even understand the whole of it (and I'm studying it for my degree!). But I don't think he deserves all the criticism everyone is throwing at him, they're just angry and want something to direct that at, and the leader of the government is as good as any.
  • Options
    Well, there is one organisation - solely consisting of one Labour Party apparatnik called Iain Gray. He's the thick cunt who leads Labour in Scotland. He claimed that "Most people here are proud that the prime minister is a Scot and believe him to be the right person to get the UK through this global economic crisis.". And if you believe that, ladies and gentlemen, you'll believe anything.

I've said far worse about Gordon Brown on this board. I've repeatedly described him as psychologically defective and nobody here has ever objected. On the blogosphere, he's widely known as the Prime Mentalist (thank you, Guido Fawkes) but I've not heard some Labour Party mouthpiece complaining about it in Teh Grauniad. But then again, in between hypocritically complaining this week that corporations weren't paying enough tax when GMG pays hardly a thing itself, they were today giving Sharon Shoesmith a platform to shamelessly pretend she had nothing to do with the death of Baby P, weren't they?
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I get the feeling there's threads like this one posted every day here.

Faux outrage, zomg. Is there really nothing else going on in the UK?
    I think most of us would agree that the outrage is indeed faux, and that it is being used with ulterior motives or with axes to grind.

I can only hope that in time people, will, for instance look back at the Ross/Brand non-story and realise we just had another Diana moment of hysteria there. That in times of US election fever, Middle East conflicts and (if memory serves) more atrocities in Sudan the news agenda in the UK was dominated by two comedians' tasteless joke is as depressing as is pathetic.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves: if newspapers (certainly tabloid newspapers) didn't exist, would any of us have been outraged or even offended by any of the recent stories?

It's high time worthless rags run by weird, disturbing families got to set the agenda and decide what matters.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I've said far worse about Gordon Brown on this board. I've repeatedly described him as psychologically defective and nobody here has ever objected. On the blogosphere, he's widely known as the Prime Mentalist (thank you, Guido Fawkes) but I've not heard some Labour Party mouthpiece complaining about it in Teh Grauniad.?
    Isn't that proof that people aren't complaining or 'being offended' by the sake of it, but that react to only certain comments that, rightly or wrongly, are seen as unacceptable?

Admittedly insulting nationalities is not seen nearly as wrong as insulting races. You or I would never dream of calling a black man who happens to be a wanker 'black wanker'. What would be the point, other than to insinuate by inclusion that his race is a negative trait? So why call Brown a 'Scottish idiot'? What has that got to do with anything?

Replace Scottish with 'white', or 'left-handed', or 'Manchester United-supporting' in the sentence and you will realise why it was out of order, if you haven't already.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Isn't that proof that people aren't complaining or 'being offended' by the sake of it, but that react to only certain comments that, rightly or wrongly, are seen as unacceptable?
    I suspect it depends which nationality you have a go at. The Welsh are particularly humourless at this - and I say this as a Welshman myself. Remember the time when Anne Robinson had a pop at the Welsh? The head of the North Wales police force, Dick Brunstrom, investigated her for this alleged slur on the nation. Same happened when Tony Blair allegedly said "fucking Welsh" back in 1999 when it was believed they had lost the referendum to create the Welsh Assembly. Why did either remark need to be investigated by the old bill? Still, it makes a change from chasing down motorists, doesn't it Dick? However, I suspect the Scots are made of much sterner stuff. The ones I've met certainly are. No doubt that they will already have plenty of colourful phrases in response to describe Jeremy Clarkson - even those who think Brown is an idiot. ;)

I personally do not give a crap what race someone is. If someone is behaving like a wanker, I will call them a wanker regardless of whatever colour their skin happens to be. If they attempt to play the race card, I will just come back a thousand times stronger to kill off this disingenuous line of attack. I think having a pop at someone's nationality is a legitimate thing - noting, of course that you shouldn't dish out what you can't take back.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »

As much as I don't like the unelected buffoon, he hasn't been in long enough to be that responsible for the mess we're in. People tend to point fingers at politicians when a lot of their policies are influenced by business more than anything else. Granted, these people put themselves forward to represent these policies however, but change will have to come from the bottom up, not the top down imo.

It's 'the system', it's free market economics, irresponsible lending, it's the unsustainable nature of the form of capitalism we have.

Just wait for oil to run dry, then we'll be fucked after a week.

The whole world's a mess and when the shit really hits the fan, it'll be us who are starving.