Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fresh garlic cloves expiration

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long do cloves last? I bought a bag of 5 for dinner tonight forgetting that I didn't have a mincer. Now I'm stuck with all these cloves and not really much to do with them. It made me want to buy a mincer but god knows when I'll actually get to that. Should I just give them to the mans dad (he cooks alot) or perhaps they'll still be good by the time I can drag myself to a store?

Comments

• Options
    just chop them up with a knife! bloody americans, gadget for everything :p
    chop them into thin strips and then across to make small squares and then use them like that.

Can I ask though, is garlic available to buy in the bulb, like this:
    garlic-bsp.jpg
    because that last for aaaaages and you don't need to store it in the fridge or anything, you just peel off the papery skin before use :)
  • Options
    they last until they go squishy and manky. They can last for weeks and weeks in the fridge
  • Options
    ha ha, a gadget for your garlic, that's like having a gadget to seperate eggs.
  • Options
    Ugh, chopping is the worst thing in the world :p I always give up after a while and get half the things chopped nicely and then just a bunch of huge chunks of stuff :p

Gotta get
    https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=1702&words=chop

or https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=1781&words=garlic for minced

My dad just loves Pampered Chef :D
  • Options
    pampered chef indeed...
    I don't have anything like that, all the things I cook with I prepare by hand. They don't have to look perfect either so chunks don't matter :p

Get chopping mrs!
  • Options
    The garlic pres is pretty standard, we used to have one in the drawer at home but takes longer to wash up than the effort of just crushing and chopping garlic with a knife.
  • Options
    Why not make yummy garlic oil? Chop up 8 garlic cloves and add to ½ litre of regular olive oil, then let it all steep for 48 hours before straining into a bottle. Don't leave the garlic pieces in the oil indefinitely because it will spoil.
  • Options
    pampered chef indeed...
    I don't have anything like that, all the things I cook with I prepare by hand. They don't have to look perfect either so chunks don't matter :p

Get chopping mrs!

Well now I know what to get you for a super late wedding gift ;)

What do you do with garlic oil? Put it on salads and stuff? Sounds good ... cuz garlic=good...

Oh but you have to chop them still :p I'm still too lazy to get to the store.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Roasted garlic in mash :yum:

You can roast it whole and then mash it with the potatoes.
  • Options
    they don't really expire. They are expired when they are wrinkly, dried out, moldy, stinky, or unusual soft. You can tell when you don't want to use them anymore.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I eat garlic daily.
    Go through so much of the stuff it never gets old.

I love it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Roasted garlic in mash :yum:

You can roast it whole and then mash it with the potatoes.

Someone watched Saturday Kitchen this morning. ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Someone watched Saturday Kitchen this morning. ;)

True. But it was nice before then too :p