Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quotes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I love quotes (maybe a bit too much :blush:), so anyone up for sharing some of their faves?

Some of mine:

A true friend walks in
when the rest of the world walks out

Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark

Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence

The bad things in life open your eyes to the
good things you weren't paying attention to before

If you want to lead the orchestra, you have to turn your back on the crowd

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****...What a Ride!"

Expecting life to treat you well because you are a good person is like
Expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian

Man it takes a silly girl
to lie about the dreams she has.
But lord, it takes a lonely girl to wish
that she had never dreamt at all

It's foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Maybe coming clean is the ultimate selfish act. A way to absolve yourself by hurting someone who doesn't deserve to be hurt

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind

In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends

It is what we make of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another

Exams are formidable to even the best prepared, for the greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer

Some people think that it is holding on makes one strong, but sometimes, it is letting go.

Depression is the inability to construct a future

Depression is nourished by a lifetime of ungrieved and unforgiven hurts

When a man goes on a date, he wonders if he is going to get lucky. A woman already knows

People say that you're going the wrong way when it's simply a way of your own

The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money

All we see of someone at any moment is a snapshot of their life, there in riches or poverty, in joy or despair. Snapshots don't show the million decisions that led to that moment.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it

Many things in life will catch your eyes, but few will catch your heart; pursue those

You can never cross the ocean if you don't have the courage to lose sight of the shore

The darkest skies have the brightest stars.

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.

Things do not change; we change.

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

You ever look at a picture of yourself and see a stranger in the background? It makes you wonder how many strangers have pictures of you, how many moments of other people's lives you've been in. Were you a part of someone's life when their dreams came true? Or were you there when their dreams died? Did you keep trying to get in as if you were destined to be there? Or did the shot take you by surprise? Just think. You could be a big part of someone else's life and not even know it.

Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open.

Alice came to a fork in the road
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "It doesn't matter."

The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Sorrow is a fruit; God does not allow it to grow on a branch that is too weak to bear it.

The human heart does not stay away too long from that which hurt it most. There is a return journey to anguish that few of us are released from making.

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy.

We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.

Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.

Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

The best revenge is massive success

Faith is a refusal to panic

A Ship in the harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for

Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour".

Shoot for the moon and even if you miss, you’ll land amongst the stars.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Until you spread your wings you have no idea how far you can fly.

Success is journey not a destination.

Never, never, never give up

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission

It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do

Courage is not how many times you fall but how many times you get back up.

The roughest road often leads to the top.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

You don't know what you've got till it’s gone.

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Fail to prepare....prepare to fail

Live for yourself, not for others.

never regret anything that once made you smile

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

To define is to limit

Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
'I will try again tomorrow'

Stand up for what you believe in - even if you’re standing alone

There is no dishonour in losing the race. There is only dishonour in not racing because you are afraid to lose

Take it for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

Clean the shower drain out once a week or the bathroom will flood

If in doubt use eenie meenie miney mo

Aim low, you'll stay low, aim high and you'll rise

If life gives you a lemon, ask for salt and Tequila

It’s better to regret doing something that regret not doing it

Imagination is the ability to make bad ideas seem plausible

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Respect yourself and others will respect you.

Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
The pen is mightier than the sword.

I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.

This is the challenge of writing. You have to be very emotionally engaged in what you’re doing, or it comes out flat. You can’t fake your way through this.

Detail makes the difference between boring and terrific writing. It’s the difference between a pencil sketch and a lush oil painting. As a writer, words are your paint. Use all the colours.

If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write.

A great writer reveals the truth even when he or she does not wish to.

The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything.

When there's snow on the ground, I like to pretend I'm walking on clouds.

Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.

Fiery colours begin their yearly conquest of the hills, propelled by the autumn winds. Fall is the artist.

All that really belongs to us is time; even he who has nothing else has that.

There is never enough time, unless you're serving it.

If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves.

Regret for wasted time is more wasted time.

Time does not change us. It just unfolds us.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend.

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't

I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite

Never take the advice of someone who has not had your kind of trouble.

Eat a third and drink a third and leave the remaining third of your stomach empty. Then, when you get angry, there will be sufficient room for your rage.

Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.

Anger at lies lasts forever. Anger at truth can't last.

Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry.

Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.

He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.

I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.

Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.

Behind every argument is someone's ignorance.

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.

In a heated argument we are apt to lose sight of the truth.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.

I always admired atheists. I think it takes a lot of faith.

If there were no God, there would be no Atheists.

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.

I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up - they have no holidays.

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.

When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, "Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.

I shut my eyes in order to see.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech.

If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart.

I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there.

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

One kind word can warm three winter months.

Comments

• Options
    I have more!

Pain is unavoidable, suffering is optional

Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are.

I believe things happen for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually start to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart, so better things can fall together.

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around

Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as one goes on

I'll either find a way or make one

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

I want to grow old without facelifts...I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I've made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you? You'd never wholly know you.

Just close your eyes and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It was probably worth it

Don't let go. Failure isn't falling down, it's staying down. It's not about perfection; it's progress. It doesn’t matter how many times you fall, it's that you get back up

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

When in doubt, tell the truth.

Our lives improve only when we take chances - and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves

If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

There is no revenge as complete as forgiveness.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Our doubts are traitors,
    And make us lose the good we oft might win
    By fearing to attempt.

Rats don't dance in the cat's doorway
    However long the night, the dawn will break.

There is a harmony
    In autumn, and a lustre in its sky,
    Which through the summer is not heard or seen,
    As if it could not be, as if it had not been!

We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.

Fiery colours begin their yearly conquest of the hills, propelled by the autumn winds. Fall is the artist.

Courage is not the absence of fear. It is going forward with the face of fear

Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives

Happiness is a station between too much and too little. But you really haven’t lived until you’ve visited both ends of the line

You are where you are because of the choices you’ve made. Worrying and being depressed will not make things better. Just get on with it

Pain allows you to better appreciate life's pleasures

Some people think that is is holding on makes one strong, but sometimes, it is letting go.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Laugh not at thine enemy's downfall - but do not rush to pick him up either

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something

A man should look for what is, not what he thinks there should be

To the world you are one person but to one person you could be the world'

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our excuses

I haven't been this scared in a long time,
    And I'm so unprepared, so here's your valentine;
    Bouquet of clumsy words, a simple melody,
    This world's an ugly place, but you're so beautiful to me

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into

It's OK to talk to yourself, just as long as you listen

No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head

It is easier to accept criticism than praise, the same as it is easier to list your faults than your good points

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved, perfect body. Rather we should skid in sideways, martini in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, screaming WOO HOO! What a ride

I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence

Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him.

Men show their characters in nothing more clearly than in what they think laughable

We are never deceived; we deceive ourselves

As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live

If you say you can, or if you say you can't - you're right

Of the thirty-six ways of avoiding disaster, running away is the worst

Every time I learn something new it pushes old stuff out of my brain. Like the time I took that home wine making class and forgot how to drive

I once wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked in a dictionary, and there it was. I was quite disappointed

Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Every man has the right to risk his own life in order to preserve it. Has it ever been said that a man who throws himself out the window to escape from a fire is guilty of suicide?

The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win

You talk about the world like it's some place you've been

Keep smiling; it makes people wonder what you're up to

Never think about the mistakes you made. Think about the mistakes you will make

Friends are the people that know all about you and still put up with you

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

A best friend is the person who, if I asked, would take a bat to your head

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

If at first you don't succeed, cheat, repeat until caught, and then lie

If some one betrays you once, it is their fault. If they betray you twice it is your fault

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people

He who loses money loses much; he who loses friends loses much more; he who loses faith loses everything

Yesterday is history; tomorrow is mystery; today is a gift, that is why it is called the present

I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn’t learn something from him

If one must slip into eternity, then one might as well slip into it drunk

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error

Don’t let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want

It's difficult to notice the ground beneath your feet, when you're trying to touch the stars

The believer is happy. The doubter is wise

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

If you are willing to admit faults, you have one less fault to admit
    When someone asks you if you're ticklish, it doesn't matter what you say - they're going to touch you

I never used to let school get in the way of my education

The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people.

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. Respect yourself.

The roughest road often leads to the top.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

The tension is here,
    Between who you are and who you could be,
    Between how it is and how it should be.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.

If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are

"Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the BS, take chances, and never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted"

If someone criticises you, top it.
    If you can't top it, equal it.
    If you can't equal it, laugh at it.
    If you can't laugh at it, you probably deserved it
  • Options
    i said 1-2-3-4 tell me wonder mike what are you waitin for?
    i said a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
    the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
    the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
    to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
    skiddlee beebop a we rock a scoobie doo
    and guess what america we love you
    cause ya rock and ya roll with so much soul
    you could rock till you're a hundred and one years old
    i dont mean to brag i dont mean to boast
    but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast
    rock it up baby bubbah
    baby bubbah to the boogie da bang bang da boogie
    to the beat beat, its so unique
    come on everybody and dance to the beat
  • Options
    crude translation:

Your fantasy doesn't deny any wish, but it doesn't fulfill any either.

/e: just browsed through OPs quotes and most of them sound like some pessimistic emo sayings ^^
  • Options
    Lady Whats-er-name 'Winston. You're drunk'

Winston Churchill 'And you Madam are ugly, but in the morning i shall be sober'

Dowager Duchess 'I've never been so insulted in all my life.'

Groucho Marx 'Then you wanna get out more.'
  • Options
    Fucking emos.
  • Options
    Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Sad, but true of the majority of us. We're not going to be rich, we are going to be working our whole lives for the betterment of 'society', within which the ruling class take their cut. It's the same as feudalism, we're just serfs.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Sad, but true of the majority of us. We're not going to be rich, we are going to be working our whole lives for the betterment of 'society', within which the ruling class take their cut. It's the same as feudalism, we're just serfs.

Way to cheer me up after I've already spent pretty much my entire day staring at my screen fantasising about ways to get out of my job yet knowing I can't because I need the money :(

Seriously though that was a good quote you posted and very true :)