Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

car tyre puncture

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondered if anyone knows about tyre punctures? Do they affect the steering? Reason I asked is because out of the blue my cars left tyre got a puncture and made me steer to the left into a wall...:banghead: I did brake but still managed to hit the wall. It has now left me with a new wing replacement and a new bumper and possible left light replacement glass? Not sure as of yet what the actual damage is. been in shock most of the day....typical as I need my car for work. Anyone else had that problem?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah the other week the car kept pulling to the left and the steering felt funny. Turned out we had a nail in the wheel and it was pretty much flat
  • Options
    Well I am not happy with my accident but I am ok. had lots of tea with sugar but still annoyed. Car is also due for its yearly mot as well....oh well it will not have mot yet. I am having a disastrous time lately.
  • Options
    Well i'm feeling your pain girl, I crashed my car the other night too, i say crash, the impact was at a rolling pace of about 5mph, i could have caused more damage kicking the car.

It was one of those where it was caused in part by the atrocious driving of the other party, but i can't argue partly my fault too, and on paper entirely my fault.

But it was in to the back of a taxi, and we all know taxi drivers are giant bell ends so he of course has whiplash and the lot.

Offered there and then to pay for the damage, told him to get a few quotes and give me a ring, i rang him the next day and was told "he's at work till later tonight... errr, oh erm he might be at hospital, he said he was gonna pop there" WTF!?!

Oh well, reluctantly rang my insurance company today, and it wasnt any where near as bad as i feared.

The excess on my policy only needs to be paid if i make a claim for the damage to my car (which i get a free inspection anyway to provide a cost of the damage, at which point i can consider if i want to make the claim or not!)

Regardless of what the bell end taxi driver does, i dont have to pay anything via my excess, my no claims bonus are protected, so i only miss out on gaining this years no claims bonus, and although i have to declare i have had an accident next year, a few quick quotes (on a worse case, excessive damage basis) indicate my insurance will go up about £30/£50 next year, no where near as bad as i feared!

I explained to the insurance company that he was almost dancing about when he got out of the car, went to work the next day, yet i suspect will be claiming for all sorts of shit, and that i have a couple of pictures of the "damage" to his car, so when he claims that i've destroyed half his car he can bollocks.

Sorry for the rant! Have always hated taxi drivers!
  • Options
    thats ok mr orange....we are all intitled to our views and opinions...my insurance company are not good. So like many other insurance company...like us to pay them but them paying out or even offering what they should be offering. Hopefully we might be able to get the repairs done privately rather than through insurance. They want £600 excess and I know that the parts do not cost as much as that what rip off merchants. I am fed up with the way society treats us all on customer service.
  • Options
    If you crashed into a wall and assuming the wall isnt damaged then why are you dealing with your insurance company at all? what you describe is fairly minor damage, I'm sure a local bodyshop could fix you up for alot cheaper than your excess.. especially if you source your own parts from ebay / scrappies!
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    Just wondered if anyone knows about tyre punctures? Do they affect the steering? Reason I asked is because out of the blue my cars left tyre got a puncture and made me steer to the left into a wall...:banghead: I did brake but still managed to hit the wall. It has now left me with a new wing replacement and a new bumper and possible left light replacement glass? Not sure as of yet what the actual damage is. been in shock most of the day....typical as I need my car for work. Anyone else had that problem?

What exactly do you want to know about punctures?

They will affect the steering, depending on what has / is causing the puncture, as they cause a drop in tyre pressue, leading to uneven tyre pressures, therefore the steering will pull to that side, so in your case, your nearside tyre has a puncture, your tyre begins to deflate, you have to steer more to the right to keep the car straight.

Braking will also affect this, as you try to slow the car, when you apply the brake, the rolling circumference of the wheel has been reduced, therefore braking the car unevenly, which again, will pull you to the nearside!

Hope you're ok - your car can be fixed!