Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So Many Ulcers!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm super massively prone to ulcers. I know that if I eat or drink anything that's massively acidic I WILL get them. But they usually appear on my tongue. But then I get big horrible painful ones on my gums, my cheek and now I've got one on the underside of my tongue - OUCH!
I've got good oral hygiene. I brush my teeth etc like everyone else. I like having a clean mouth/teeth.
I do tend to get these ulcers when I'm stressed, which at the moment is all the time. Is it true that stress causes ulcers?

Anyway...just wondered if anyone could suggest the causes of ulcers or knew a really good way to get rid of them/reduce them? Sometimes I fear that they're quite immune to Bonjela...

Cheers =]

Comments

• Options
    I am the same, and it really pisses me off when people go 'oh why don't you just put bonjela on it' because THAT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK when you've got an ulcer the size of a 5p piece.

Apparently stress does make you more prone to ulcers, but if you're prone to them already then you're gonna get them and there's not a lot you can do about it. How old are you? My mam and nana have always had ulcers but got them less regularly as they got older, I'm 23 now and am slowly 'growing out' of them.

Anyway they're stubborn little fuckers so I'd recommend a multiple attack approach. To get rid of them use Adcortyl which is wicked at healing them. It doesn't stay on the ulcer for long so I use it in the night so it stays on for longer. Have you tried corsodyl? It's a mouthwash for ulcers, although it tastes minging and somehow my ulcers became immune to it. It used to heal them up in a day but now it does nothing.

In terms of pain relief I'd recommend boots sore mouth gel - similar to bonjela but stronger (you can use bonjela on babies but not sore mouth gel). Anbesol liquid is quite good, or if you're really brave dip your finger in salt and press onto the ulcer - you'll probably hit the roof but it numbs the pain for a while and hardens the skin so it'll heal faster

Apparently there's this new thing out called iceberg or something? It's like a patch you put on the ulcer which protects and heals it, which is an idea I had fucking years ago and now I'm annoyed that someone made it first! Damn it. Looks good though
  • Options
    I hate bonjela. Stings like hell.
    I would say get some rinstead pastels or some medi-gel pastels to help get rid of them.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    It may be that the ulcers aren't about the food that you are eating, but more about the food you aren't eating - basically, if you are not getting enough of the right vitamins or you're battling a virus and have a low immune system. If you're not feeling well alongside the ulcers it may be a good idea to see your doc and ask for a blood test just to rule that out?

There's a fact sheet here that may be of interest

Mouth ulcers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys!
    Kangoo, I'm 21 and I appreciate all the advice! Think I'll try out some of those gels and mouthwashes. Mmm... I used to think I was kinda growing out of it too until I get stressed when I'll have several at a time. I try getting rid of them as soon as they're there but it just doesn't happen.

Also, Pearly, chances are I might be deficient in something but I had a blood test recently when I went to see the nurse about renewing my pill prescription and it was fine so hopefully it's nothing too bad?

x
  • Options
    If you've always been prone to them it's unlikely a deficiency is causing them, although there's no harm in getting checked out

If you try the new iceberg thingy make sure you report back! If it works it'll be a miracle and I want to know about it!
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Also, Pearly, chances are I might be deficient in something but I had a blood test recently when I went to see the nurse about renewing my pill prescription

May just be worth getting your doc to look at the test and tell you what exactly they were testing you for, but yes like you say if they did a blood test they should normally do a general white blood count that would have picked up anaemia, for example.

Hope it gets better soon!
  • Options
    Pearly wrote: »
    May just be worth getting your doc to look at the test and tell you what exactly they were testing you for, but yes like you say if they did a blood test they should normally do a general white blood count that would have picked up anaemia, for example.

Hope it gets better soon!

Oops! I meant a blood pressure test! But I was in hospital yesterday with chest pains and they did a blood test and there was nothing wrong.
    Argh...I wish there were reasons that my body was falling apart!
  • Options
    Stress definitely does cause ulcers. But you also get them from other stuff. I'm quite clumsy, and am always biting my tongue/lips when I eat, and I always get an ulcer where I've bitten. Think this is pretty common too. Another cause is having sharp edges on your teeth which rub against your cheeks or tongue.

Also apparently using toothpaste with sodium laureth sulphate in makes you more prone to ulcers, but don't know if this is fact or not.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Stress definitely does cause ulcers. But you also get them from other stuff. I'm quite clumsy, and am always biting my tongue/lips when I eat, and I always get an ulcer where I've bitten. Think this is pretty common too. Another cause is having sharp edges on your teeth which rub against your cheeks or tongue.

Also apparently using toothpaste with sodium laureth sulphate in makes you more prone to ulcers, but don't know if this is fact or not.

Yeah, I think my sharp teeth cause them. That, or I just get ulcers where my teeth rub and that makes it worse. YUCK.
    (sucks to be a vampire).
  • Options
    i have a record breaking SEVEN ulcers in my mouth right now. ive never had that many. they hurt so much :( stupid stress.
  • Options
    i have a record breaking SEVEN ulcers in my mouth right now. ive never had that many. they hurt so much :( stupid stress.

Aww no! I've got three and I think I'm going to die!
  • Options
    i feel your pain, i get ulcers in my mouth when i am very stressed out

i suggest you buy some concentrated l-lycine tablets from your local pharmacy or supermarket, i take 6 500mg tablets a day and my ulcers go away in a few days
  • Options
    Awwwh man I'be got a big one on the edge of my lip :( It's super painful and everyone can see it as well!

The thing I was on about it called Iglu (lol not iceberg), I'm gonna see if they have any in tesco today!
  • Options
    If you see a Kinesiologist they can tell you exactly what your body is lacking/any food sensitivities through a series of muscle tests. I know some people don't get alternative therapies but damn, this really works, I'm living proof. I'd be very suprised if a Kinesiologist couldn't sort out this problem for you.
  • Options
    If you see a Kinesiologist they can tell you exactly what your body is lacking/any food sensitivities through a series of muscle tests. I know some people don't get alternative therapies but damn, this really works, I'm living proof. I'd be very suprised if a Kinesiologist couldn't sort out this problem for you.

Sounds like this costs money!
  • Options
    Thought I'd just bump this thred back to life because after years of suffering I have found a cure!

Bonjela once - its about £9 for 2 treatments. You dab the liquid on for 5 seconds and then rinse mouth out and voila! No more ulcer. Seriously :yes:

Bad points - it stings like buggery for a few seconds, and I think it works by pretty much burning off the ulcer (as pretty much all of the ingredients include acid of some variety!). The ulcer and any other bit of skin the liquid touched turned white and puckery so if you use this try and get the liquid on the ulcer ONLY and have a glass of water to hand for swilling (I didn't have this prepared so some of the liquid dripped onto the side of my mouth and made the skin go funny. it's calmed down a bit since

I used it on a reasonably small ulcer (about 4mm across) but it was pretty damn effective so I'd guess it'll work on bigger ulcers

Since I used it 3 hours ago i haven't felt any pain, the skin just feels normal except for the wrinkly feeling and a little lump because the ulcer is still there just not painful. It feels like it's sealed the skin on top

I wouldn't reccomend it for the tiny ulcers because it's quite expensive and the funny skin feeling after, but for those biggies where you seriously can't eat it's a fucking miracle!

Also if you're speedy with the application you could probably treat more than one at a time, as long as you're careful not to spill it on your mouth

So there ya go, a little review of bonjela once for the poor mouth ulcer sufferers. I'd highly reccomend it for big ulcers, it definitely beats anything else on the market, and a zillion times better than that horrible adcortyl stuff
  • Options
    Wow! I will try this next time... when I do, I'll report back! Thanks for the update, I had given up on anyone having any ideas as to what to do.

By the way, my dentist said that although stress could be a trigger and I think it is one of the main contributors, it could also be from a chemical imbalance in the mouth or even an infection... all speculation though... :yeees: