Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Internet dating - opinions please?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone done it?
Anyone met up with someone from an internet dating site?
Anyone had a relationship with someone from an internet dating site?
A good relationship?
Advice on first meetings?

Any advice would be helpful, I'm curious...

x x x

Comments

• Options
    Anyone done it?
    Anyone met up with someone from an internet dating site?
    Anyone had a relationship with someone from an internet dating site?
    A good relationship?
    Advice on first meetings?

Any advice would be helpful, I'm curious...

x x x

My first girlfriend i met online when i wa 13 and lasted 2 YEARS over msn and on the phone, i met up with her a few times not much though.

Its better to do it when your not young so 18+ or so :D
  • Options
    Not a dating site no but i met the love of my life on this very forum 7 years ago!
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Not a dating site no but i met the love of my life on this very forum 7 years ago!
    This, but make it 2 and a half years :p.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »

Really, thats pretty cool.
  • Options
    I've met two girls from online dating sites in real life before. In both meetings there was never really any chemistry and things didn't work out.

As far as first meeting advice goes just be yourself and go out and do something fun just like a normal first date.
  • Options
    I met my husband via the internet....we met up and have been with each other since. We got married in September of last year. So it does work but not always.
  • Options
    It's really not for me, but I know plenty of people that have done well and are happy.
  • Options
    While a few people still associate a slight stigma to it, I dont see internet dating as that much of a problem or that different from meeting someone another way.
  • Options
    ive been with my boyfriend 9/10 months and i met him on match.com. we should be moving in with each other this year :)

he's the only person ive met off the net that i've been in a relationship with though (i have quite a few friends off this website ive met in real life) although i had a fling with someone off here once but it really was nothing.

i dont think theres anything wrong with internet dating although its 'our little secret' that we met on there. neither of us want to go round going "omg, we met on a dating website" because of the stigma attached to it. his mates would rip the piss out of him and well, as for mine, they woudln't be so bad but they'd have a dig :p we say we met whilst on a night out :D

when we first met, we just treated it as any normal date.
  • Options
    Yup I've done it. Currently living with a guy who I met on match.com and should be getting engaged next weekend. In fact he's downstairs asking my mum's permission now. :yippe:
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Yup I've done it. Currently living with a guy who I met on match.com and should be getting engaged next weekend. In fact he's downstairs asking my mum's permission now. :yippe:

congratulations!!

Anyone done it? Kinda - I've put my toes in the internet dating pool but I'm just not ready to dive in yet
    Anyone met up with someone from an internet dating site?Nope, maybe one day if I could be arsed to find a decent pic where my eyes aren't closed or I'm not looking stupid
    Anyone had a relationship with someone from an internet dating site?not really
    A good relationship?nope sorry
    Advice on first meetings?somewhere public and safe!! And don't get too drunk.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kazbo wrote: »

Awwwww, congrats :D So chuffed for you :)

We met on here 5 years ago. We are 3 and a half years married now.

I know of a few people that have met their partners on match.com and various other dating sites too.

With regards to first meetings ... meet somewhere bright, light, public and don't just go out on the piss with them. Take it easy and don't have too many expectations.
  • Options
    yes, yes twice. one guy that i met in a chatroom,was with him for a number of years . i met my current boyfriend on match.com and it's going brill.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    This, but make it 2 and a half years :p.

Snap :p

(Well we've only been going out for 6 months, but I joined the site and talked to her long ago :p)
  • Options
    Let me tell you a story about bullying my friend.

Ok, that sounds bad, but it ended up working out all right.

I went through a bit of a dry spell after breaking up with my ex, about two and a half years ago. It started getting me down quite a bit, every bloke I met, whether he be in a club, pub or at work ended up being after one thing and I never had anything in common with them.

I decided to post an advert on Gumtree (London classifieds website for those not in the know) on the dating part and see what happened.

I got a MILLION replies, mostly generic ones from sad, lonely buggers (and one from my ex-boss who had no idea it could have been me, but that's another story).

I went on a few dates and nothing much happened.

My best mate has never really had much luck with guys. She only had her first kiss on her 18th birthday where the guy tried it on with her and she'd seen a couple of guys but they had treated her like crap. I said to her she should post an ad. She refused. I then threatened her if she didn't post one and get that frown off her face I'd write one for her myself, vet the guys and force dates on her.

In the end she agreed, however I wrote the advert as I believed that she wouldn't have given an honest view of herself (ie. too cynical) and the replies flooded in.

She struck up a conversation with one guy, his name was Ryan and here we are a year later. They are very much in love, attached at the hip and off to Rome next week for their first anniversary.

Baring in mind she would NEVER have considered this without my pushing I believe online dating is a great way (and now more sociably acceptable, thank you MySpace!) to meet people and in regards to giving it go, can't knock it till you've tried it.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! Wow, a lot of good things being said about online dating! I've met up with one guy off of match.com twice now. He's very nice but I just don't know how you can get to know someone properly under these very strange (to me) circumstances. I'm giving it a chance though...

Ooooh and congratulations Kazbo!! WOW! That is mindblowing! I wish you all the happiness in the world with your soon to be new hubby!