Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

flupentixol

I was wondering if anyone here had had this, as ive been prescribed it (low dose) and would be interested to hear anyones thoughts or experiences
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :(
  • Options
    hi suzycreamcheese,

We`ve read your post, it seems you may be feeling a bit :(

Even though we don't have any direct experience of the Flupentixol medication, you may find this web site useful?

Please keep posting.

:thumb:
  • Options
    thanks for that. I dont have schizophrenia, i have depression and anxiety and as a low dose its supposed to work as a fast acting anti depressant.
    I cant tell if its really working. I think it is, but its nothing major, doesnt seem to be a miracle cure or anything.

I have been able to find the medical stuff myself online, but i was wondering if anyone had any experiences themselves or thoughts on it as ive never taken antidepressants before so feel a bit weird about the whole thing
  • Options
    Hi Suzy,

Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well - Flupentixol is one of the older class of typical antipsychotics; don't be put off by the name - its a dose-dependent drug that is given usually to relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression that come on very quickly in smaller doses.

I have experience of this drug, and no you can't 'tell' if its working, but most antidepressants are like this. It isn't like a drug that gives you a 'feeling' of being happier or a tangible effect on your mood - think of it as working in the background, putting working on the pieces you can't really 'see' if that makes sense.

One of the things is to try and get on with your routine, avoid putting yourself in situations that a) make you anxious or put a lot of pressure on you b) give you time where you are just sitting around thinking, with the same thoughts going through your head (this is also known as 'rumination' - sitting and stewing basically).

Also, and this is important; avoid alcohol like the plague for two reasons 1) It can interact with the Flupentizol and cause severe dizziness in some people 2) Alcohol is a depressant, it WILL make things worse long term and excessive consumption (i.e: over the government recommended guidelines) can and does make anxiety and depression worse. I hardly drink these days, for the precise reason that my anxiety gets a lot worse after a heavy night, and I am also more prone to mood swings.

If nothing gets better after a week or so, or it gets markedly worse you should go back to your GP, as there are other options available.

Take care and please let us know how you get on.

MB
  • Options
    thankyou for that. Its really appreciated.

Its hard not to get myself in the anxiety situations. Im pretty sure its postnatal depression i have. My eldest son has recently been diagnosed with autism, and i have two younger children under 2, so things are pretty stressful but i just have to get on with it.
    I have still had a glass of wine some evenings and its been ok. Should i be avoiding that? I really enjoy it and never overindulge.
    Im seeing my doctor on friday to talk about how its going. Shes also put me forward as a priority case for counselling
  • Options
    I don't think that having one (Small = 175ml or below) is going to be much of a problem BUT if it is taken close to when you take your Flupentixol it could make you drowsy - probably best to try and space them out a bit.

Part of having anxiety and depression is knowing how to deal with it, being aware of things that make you anxious or depressed and avoiding or trying to confront them, and also (this is highly important) trying to focus on the things you do enjoy.

Depression and anxiety are funny things because they are neither 'all in the mind' - in the sense of you being able to 'think' your way out of it, but nor can they be cured with a magic pill. The most coherent theory at the moment is that brainstates change thoughts, and thoughts change brainstates, the two are in separable (on a lot of current thinking). Its no surprise, therefore, that the most effective treatments for depression and anxiety are a combination of medicines and talking therapies.

Talking therapies like counselling are very helpful, if nothing else because they are a protected space where you can comfortably explore your thoughts, feelings and emotions without fear of interruption or any of the usual pressures in social life.

Your counsellor or whoever you see should be able to talk through the best approach to the talking therapy - for some people, counselling is good because they need to explore or confront some things that they've suppressed or haven't adequately come to terms with. However, for other people it's about breaking out of a cycle of negative thinking and behaviour that sustains and/or worsens the depression.
  • Options
    i havent found its made me drowsy, although ive been sleeping better at night. I take my tablet in the morning (1mg) im allowed to take up to 3 if i need it, although i generally take one. I took an extra one yesterday though as i was going mental again by the afternoon. It just seems to take the edgeoff things, although i dont know if its working or whether its psychosomatic. It definitely is better than the rescue remedy and more appropriate than craving a glass of wine at 11am.
    The counseller im being referred to, ive seen her before a few years ago when i went through a marital breakup. Shes really good. Shes also been training a bit in CBT this year which i think will be helpful too. My health visitor wanted me to have this just after my daughter was born when i really REALLY was losing it, but the one she referred me for wouldnt take me as i wasnt suicidal :S Ive plodded along anyway without it, but i just couldnt plod on anymore waiting for things to get better or easier. I hope this is a new start
  • Options
    I really am sorry to hear that - if they are taking the edge off then don't question it - they are doing what they are supposed to. The idea of psychosomatic illness with mental health is a bit a misnomer as well, for the reasons I stated before - brain states change feelings, feelings and thoughts change brain states.

When you say 'loosing it'...do you mean you begin to panic, things feel unreal, your heart starts racing, that sort of thing?
  • Options
    Hello lovely,

I saw this post a few days and I was hoping that someone with more direct experience of this medication would reply to you as I've never taken this. But then I just wanted to assure you and give you hugs.

I know several people who have found taking low dose anti-psychotics very useful for anxiety in particular.

I think for some people the anxiety can be so overwhelming and the feelings they are having so strong that they are feeling the emotions as if whatever is the biggest fear is actually occuring. Hmm, I'm not sure I've explained that very well. But say for example, a person fears that they have a terrible disease. They book doctors appointment but are really anxious, they feel so bad that if the doctor tells them that it is true they have the terrible disease they will feel exactly the same as they do now as they are already feeling so bad that it feels as if the worse case scenario event were true. On an emotional level they are not distinguishing between the possibility that there is a chance that they might have the disease and the idea that the worst case scnario is true, that they definatelty do have the disease. Hmm, I'm not sure I've explained that very well at all.

If none of that made any sense then please just take this post to be an encouraging big hug for you :)

xx