Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tracing a long-lost friend

I have several friends who are 4+ years younger than me throughout childhood, teens and adulthood. I managed to hang onto all of them bar one. I had to let that one go because being the opposite gender, people were getting the wrong impression although she was one of my best friends back then.

In 1996, we were 17 and 12. That was when it ended. Now we would be 30 and 25 which is a perfectly normal age-gap for friends. I have been online since early 1999, so that's 10 years now. Roughly once a year, I try to track this long-lost friend. I consider myself lucky that I have lots of info and net experience, and yet every time I try, I have failed.

I know:

- first and last names
- age and birthdate
- address right down to the post code (as of 1996)
- we were in the same secondary school
- I know her sister's name and her d.o.b.

I think everyone here must agree that this information is absolutely fantastic.

What I've tried:

- Facebook, Faceparty and Myspace. Each site returned several matching names but none with the right d.o.b.

- A 192.com search gave me 2 matching surnames in the same household, presumably her parents.

- Google searches with a combination of keywords based on the above information.

Unless one has moved to the middle of Wales, miles away from society and technology, most people are now online in 2009 and has a Facebook (or similar) page. Another thing is that a surname-change due to marriage can put a dampener onto any search. If she is that difficult to find, then I fear that she can also be dead.

Is there anything else that I can try?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried searching for her sister? Also friends reunited. Is there a group for your school on facebook?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks Lipsy :-)

I've already explored the FB group for my school but I didn't think of Friends Reunited. Since writing my starting post, it occurred to me that I have a Facebook friend who lived very close to the mystery girl. I have used the private messaging system on FB to see if the FB friend can shed any light on this.